Chaosforge Forum

• May 02, 2024, 16:30
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: [U|AoLT|YAAM|StdWin] Savescummed, sure, but still satisfying.  (Read 1815 times)

FrostyTheDragon

• Corporal
    • View Profile

(I don't like being too deceitful, hence me saying up front that I savescummed.)

--------------------------------------------------------------
 DoomRL (v.0.9.8.10) roguelike post-mortem character dump

Wesker, level 14 Cacodemon Lieutenant, defeated the Cyberdemon
 on level 25 of the Phobos base.
 He survived 115988 turns and scored 317620 points.
 He was a man of Ultra-Violence!

He killed 890 out of 890 hellspawn. (100%)
 This ass-kicking marine killed all of them!
 He was an Angel of Light Travel!

He saved himself 30 times.

-- Graveyard -------------------------------------------------

###########################################################
  #..........................................................
  #..............................................###.........
  #..............................###.............#>#.........
  #.......................##.....###.............###.........
  #.......|}..............##.....###.........................
  #....#..|..............###.................................
  #...........................###............................
  #.X.........................###..............###...........
  #....................#......###..............###...........
  #...................##................###....###...........
  #..................###................###............###...
  #.....................................###............###...
  #....................................................###...
  ###########################################################

-- Statistics ------------------------------------------------

Health 50/50   Experience 97630/14
  ToHit +4  ToDmg Ranged +3  ToDmg Melee +3

-- Traits ----------------------------------------------------

Tough as nails (Level 3)
    Son of a bitch (Level 3)
    Reloader       (Level 2)
    Eagle Eye      (Level 2)
    Cateye         (Level 2)
    Triggerhappy   (Level 2)

EE->EE->Cat->Cat->SoB->SoB->SoB->TaN->TaN->TaN->TH->TH->Rel->Rel->

-- Equipment -------------------------------------------------

[a] [ Armor      ]   nothing
    [b] [ Weapon     ]   advanced BFG 9000 (12d8) [55/169] (D2M2)
    [c] [ Boots      ]   steel boots [1/1] (55%)
    [d] [ Prepared   ]   Missile Launcher (7d6) [2/4]

-- Inventory -------------------------------------------------

[a] modified plasma rifle (1d9)x8 [0/40] (D1)
    [b] modified BFG 9000 (10d8) [0/130] (M1)

-- Kills -----------------------------------------------------

73 former humans
    106 former sergeants
    52 former captains
    113 imps
    91 demons
    66 lost souls
    39 cacodemons
    47 barons of hell
    1 Cyberdemon
    26 hell knights
    42 arachnotrons
    21 former commandos
    14 pain elementals
    26 arch-viles
    20 mancubi
    28 revenants

-- History ---------------------------------------------------

He started his journey on the surface of Phobos.
  On level 3 he entered Hell's Arena.
  On level 4 he stormed the Chained Court.
  On level 8 he found the Phaseshift Boots!
  On level 9 he found Hell's Armory.
  On level 13 he witnessed the Wall.
  Entering level 14 he was almost dead...
  On level 14 he ventured into the Halls of Carnage.
  On level 18 he found the Missile Launcher!
  On level 22 he found the Phaseshift Armor!
  On level 22 he was foolish enough to enter the Mortuary!
  On level 22 he found the Angelic Armor!
  On level 23 he entered the Lava Pits.
  He nuked level 23!
  He managed to clear the Lava Pits completely!
  Then at last he found Phobos Arena!
  On level 25 he finally defeated the Cyberdemon.

-- Messages --------------------------------------------------

You start running!
 The Cyberdemon fires!
 Fire -- Choose target... The missile hits the Cyberdemon. The Cyberdemon
 reloads his rocket launcher.
 fires! You are hit!
 fires! You are hit!
 You are hit!
 You use a large med-pack. You feel fully healed.
 The Cyberdemon fires! Boom!
 reloads his rocket launcher.
 You reload the BFG 9000 with power cell.

-- General ---------------------------------------------------

Before him 533 brave souls have ventured into Phobos:
 483 of those were killed.
 7 of those were killed by something unknown.
 And 41 couldn't handle the stress and committed a stupid suicide.

Some rumours though, say that the Cyberdemon was killed already!
 Is he immortal? 2 souls claim to have killed him...
 1 sacrificed itself for the good of mankind.
 1 killed the bastard and survived.

Okay, okay, bear with me here, people.  I had been so irritated with Angel of Light Travel that I insisted on savescumming just so the game would think the challenge mode was finished, but to make it anywhere near worthwhile I forced it upon myself to do as much as I could with it.  Hence using the Ultra-Violence difficulty (in reality, the highest difficulty I could really get anywhere in is Hurt Me Plenty), forcing 100% kills anywhere I go, and doing as many special levels as I could (I skipped two - the Unholy Cathedral and The Vaults - and any others not explicitly mentioned simply failed to show up).  My original intent was to get a full win as well, but I didn't get the chance because of my ill-fated decision to attempt the Lava Pits with just invincibility.  After a few retries I simply nuked the place.

In brief:
-Hell's Arena seems to be my Achilles' heel.  Many times in both this and other playthroughs I've died there.
-Rockets can be used more freely in Halls of Carnage than most people think.  I think you only have to avoid the area between the two innermost 'rings', with the innermost being the BFG room itself.
-I skipped Unholy Cathedral because my build was not designed for it, and I skipped The Vaults after keeping a backup save and realizing that even if the way to get into the center is what I think it is, I didn't prepare for that.
-Maybe it was my equipment, but when I went there I found that The Mortuary's reputation seemed to be overstated.  I guess it depends on what is revived and when.
-Lava Pits was just a serious mistake on my part.  Had it not been for that I could have tried for a full win.

Extended Level Notes:
1: No restarts.  I actually take almost anything for the first level nowadays - I've passed through this level so often that I just want to get it over with.
2: No restarts, amazingly.  I say 'amazingly' because no matter what difficulty, roughly half of my runs don't get past here.
3: 5 restarts.  The level I finally cleared was a demon cave.
Hell's Arena: 14 restarts.  I finally cleared it with 4% health left.  What made this so difficult was only entering with a combat shotgun and one small medpack.  I eventually got it by playing chicken with the cacodemons and barons in the later two waves.  It doesn't say it in the mortem for some reason, but yes, I cleared ALL THREE WAVES.
4: No restarts.  I got another demon cave.
Chained Court: No restarts.  Although it was a big surprise to me to see CAPTAINS instead of the sergeants... I must say, this is probably my favorite iteration of the Chained Court.  Lots of captains and four barons that can be picked off without them firing a shot!
5: No restarts.  I'm rather amazed, honestly.  Another quarter of my runs that make it past floor 2 don't get farther than here.
6: Surprise, surprise - no restarts here either!
7: 1 restart.  The first time, I got a cave full of cacodemons and almost, ALMOST, survived the whole ordeal.  The second time I got a demon city, saw my first commando, absconded with his plasma rifle, and survived handily.
8: No restarts.  I ran into a second commando (unlike the first, he got to fire one volley before he fell), my first unique (I seem to get Phaseshift equipment very often), and my first suit of red armor.
9: No restarts.  Plasma rifle #3.  If Hell's Armory hadn't shown up, I'd have thrown away my chaingun here.  As it is, I hold onto it for a little longer.
Hell's Armory: No restarts.  Revenants instead of arachnotrons was a real shocker... and the barons are as greedy as ever.  No uniques here, though I did pick up a boatload of power cells.
10: 1 restart.  Got ambushed by a horde of lost souls and when I tried to put myself in better position, a baron and a former commando were there to stop me.  The second time, I did much better and, more importantly, scored a thermonuclear bomb.
11: No restarts.  Plasma and rockets were in enough supply that I basically left in mostly the same shape ammo-wise as I entered.  Armor-wise, not so much.
12: 1 restart.  The first time I ran right into an Arch-Vile, but managed to kill him - what killed me was a baron later.  The second time I wound up using a lot of ammo, which is going to make the rest of this hard, but I did get a lot of rockets.
13: No restarts.  Though I feel I did set myself up in a bad position for The Wall.
The Wall: 6 restarts.  This place wound up a very close call for me.  I started at the top and destroyed a wall diagonally.  After that, all I could do was hope the arch-viles (yes, starting on UV, arch-viles show up) appeared sooner rather than later.  Plasma was the best bet for taking them out.  I literally ran out of rockets near the end and almost ran entirely out of plasma ammo.  Also, I ended with 4% health and no medpacks.
14: 4 restarts.  After the very close call that was The Wall, a few restarts were expected here.  One was actually due to not having enough resources (read: non-rocket munitions) to handle Halls of Carnage.  This level I dread the most, because 90% of the stuff that gets through floors 2 and 5 does not get farther than this floor.
Halls of Carnage: No restarts.  You can use rockets more freely here than most people think, even on the east side of the map.  Trust me on this.
15: 1 restart.  First try was an arachnotron cave, second was a demon city with two roaming arch-viles.  Due to being out of power cells, I snagged a chaingun again.  City of Skulls never showed up this time, so I'm short one BFG.
16: No restarts.  Another demon city with roaming arch-viles.  Thankfully they were both backing up a squad of former sergeants, captains, and the like, instead of the mancubus farther south.  Skipped Unholy Cathedral.
17: No restarts.  Caught in the crossfire of a bunch of arachnotrons, it took both medpacks I was carrying to survive.  Go figure.
18: 1 restart.  Something valuable, you say?  Turns out it was a Missile Launcher.  So I can throw away that advanced rocket launcher I got a long time ago!  Also I had problems holding all the plasma rounds I was finding.
19: 5 restarts.  I actually had to go redo this area as I demanded on 100% kills and did not have the knowledge (or the resources, in the case of the only possible solution that comes to mind - let's just say it involves something random and something related, but not random and far more life-saving) of how to get into the central vault in the special level here.  Also, here is where I lost my beloved Phaseshift Boots.
20: No restarts.  Arachnotron/Revenant groups backed by Arch-viles are perhaps my worst nightmare.
21: No restarts.  I've practically been facing two arch-viles on every level... but why have they always been together?  I'd think there'd be some animosity involved in there SOMEwhere....
22: 1 restart.  Mainly due to bad position initially.  This level was kind of easy the second time around.  I consider it the calm before the inevitable storm....
The Mortuary: 6 restarts.  I actually cleared this the first try but forgot to save afterward.  The secret?  This level is why the BFG9000 was MADE!  That, a couple stacks of power cells, and the Missile Launcher made this an intense, but still fun level to do.  Don't expect me to do this on BFG-less challenges however.
23: 3 restarts.  I learned during one attempt that roadhouse boxing with a revenant is a BAD idea.  But apparently, with hell knights and barons it isn't so bad.
Lava Pits: 9 restarts.  Due to both forgetting my envirosuits and not having a backup save, I ultimately decided to use the thermonuclear device here.
24: 1 restart.  The successful level was a massive arachnotron-filled cave.
25: No restarts.  I couldn't get a full win due to my ill-fated decisions involving the Lava Pits.

In total this took me about 59 retries to do - and about four or five hours of playing time.  That's quite a bit less than I'd thought it would take.

What I'm probably going to wind up doing from here is acting as if the HMP requirement wasn't met and doing Angel of Purity on that difficulty.  And Angel of Marksmanship beckons still.  I'll revisit AoLT some other day, but not for a long while.

And now that I've gotten this monkey off my back (in the eyes of the game at least) this is probably also the last time I savescum.
Pages: [1]