Chaosforge Forum

• June 15, 2024, 17:17
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Tactical Features: Monster Flinching and Alerts  (Read 2928 times)

Frankosity

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
Tactical Features: Monster Flinching and Alerts
« on: June 21, 2009, 17:29 »

In Doom, it was possible to delay or prevent an enemy attack by hitting them enough that they'd flinch, interrupting any attacks or movement they were in the process of performing. With DoomRL, it cold be the case that doing over a certain amount of damage to an enemy gives a chance of them "flinching", interrupting their next turn and preventing an attack or move in your turn.

One way of balancing such a feature so that you can't infinitely stunlock enemies, and making it much harder to flinch bigger bad guys like Hell Barons could be either having the necessary damage be a specific fraction of an enemy's health, like 10-15% or more, or implement it so that you need to do above a specific threshold of damage, like with the Berserker trait, at which point a die is rolled which has to be above/ below a certain number to flinch, with a modifier applied depending on the type of enemy; i.e, you can flinch a Former Human with relative ease, but a Hell Knight will rarely do so, and the Cyberdemon is practically immune.

My other idea comes from Dungeon Crawl- when an enemy finds you in its line of sight, it calls out, alerting other nearby enemies to your presence, who then move in on you (obviously, the alerted enemies don't then call out when they see you. That would be annoying.) This would prevent players from luring enemies enemies away from groups and engaging them solo.

MaiZure

• Marketing/PR Ops Lead
  • Greater Elder
  • Major General
  • Retired 1-Star General (.993)
    • View Profile
    • Project repository
Re: Tactical Features: Monster Flinching and Alerts
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 05:07 »

In Doom, it was possible to delay or prevent an enemy attack by hitting them enough that they'd flinch, interrupting any attacks or movement they were in the process of performing. With DoomRL, it cold be the case that doing over a certain amount of damage to an enemy gives a chance of them "flinching", interrupting their next turn and preventing an attack or move in your turn.

I'm not sure this feature would add any depth or strategy to the game except to make it easier to win in most circumstances.
Hell Knight 1st Lt. (.997)
[22/13/9/2/0]

Gargulec

• High Priest of the Forge
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
  • Believe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 06:47 »

And greater honour is well due to them
when they foresee (and many of them foresee)
that in the end Ephialtes will appear,
that after all the Persian shall break through.

Hipster Scumbag

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 08:41 »

I think it's a fair idea and an interesting one, but I don't have any clever suggestions as to how to keep it challenging & balanced with this.  It would make cacodemons as easy as their Doom counterparts if you could stunlock them with the chaingun :)

Dervis

• Nightmare Berserker
  • Elder
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 11:50 »

The only idea i've come up using this sort of mechanic was a trait benefitting Shotguns, RL and BFG.

Knockout Power
You've been in enough bar fights to know how to hit them so they don't stand up... This trait causes any attack which causes knockback to also delay the monsters next action, with greater knockback resulting in greater delay. (-200 energy per knockback distance)

One of the problems is i don't have the faintest idea where i would put this trait to start with :S.

Hipster Scumbag

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2009, 11:30 »

I wouldn't mind seeing flinching implemented as an energy damage.  On each successful hit dealing more than a certain threshold of damage (varies by monster) there is a chance to cause a flinch for X energy damage.  I say "per hit" because of the old Doom tactic of stunlocking Cacos with the chaingun...
Pages: [1]