Chaosforge Forum

• April 24, 2024, 18:45
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Actions while running  (Read 2252 times)

Dervis

• Nightmare Berserker
  • Elder
  • Major
    • View Profile
Actions while running
« on: July 16, 2009, 08:52 »

Here's an idea that i think would fit very well in DoomRL but would not only require a lot of work but also change the game a bit.

I've seen this in some other roguelike for purposes of projectile shooting but i'm not sure of which.
The concept is simple: allow moving while performing other actions.

Example:
Code: [Select]
         Move          Shoot         Shoot
##########    ##########    ##########    ##########
# @      #    #        #    #        #    #        #
#        #    # @      #    #        #    #        #
#      i #    #      i #    # @    * #    #      * #
#        #    #        #    #        #    # @      #
#        #    #        #    #        #    #        #
##########    ##########    ##########    ##########
Change shoot to reload/use med pack/swap weapon/whatever.

Checklist:
- Accuracy penalty.
- Checking for movement possibility? Still allow action without movement if there's something on the way.
- Keybind/action to stop moving costing no/little energy. ('5' comes to mind)
- Shoot first, then move. If it's a chainfire weapon, shoot half the bullets from starting position and half from ending position.
- Dodge will become much more important in the game, probably needing tweaking down.
- Getting knocked around stops your movement.

Issues:
- Energy cost = Maximum(move;<insert action here>)?
- How to handle large differences between move/action energy costs? (move cost 1,1; Dualgunner shooting cost 0,48 for example)
- Allow defining a movement direction using no/little energy?
- Small display showing if you're moving? Something like chainfire does now would work i think.
- Makes Shottyman/Reloader traits obsolete/less useful?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 09:02 by Dervis »

Zi

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
Re: Actions while running
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2009, 22:47 »

I actually had similar thoughts when I was going through ideas for the shooting focused roguelike I was going to make, but this game mechanic totally changes how the game is played (although I believe it would reflect the actual FPS better, as you can constantly "strafe" as you shoot).  Ultimately why I decided against something like this is because each turn would require a lot more input (both a move 'order' and a shoot 'order') and wouldn't have as straight forward an interface as DoomRL has now, which is one of the major things I admire, and one of the major reason why I enjoy the game so much.

(The compromise I decided on was that a significant proportion of the enemies in the game cannot fire every turn, but instead have a certain amount of turns they must take other actions, then fire again.  For example, let's say enemy X can only fire once every 3 turns.  Then a player facing this enemy in the open can keeping moving (and dodge) until the enemy fires, spend the next two turns shooting at it, then dodge again.  This still has the shoot/dodge archetype while retaining the system of one action per turn.  But facing a crowd of enemies in the open will be far less friendly, which I think is also a useful result.)

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2009, 12:01 »

This would kill DoomRL's main advantage -- simplicity and speed of play.
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Generic

• Second Lieutenant
  • the local Doom consistency checker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2009, 12:22 »

No, the game's too simple! Add the Angband enchantment system, so you could have a Double Shotgun of Extra Attacks (6d3x3) (+2,+9) (+2), and maybe a 'the Doomguy's BFG9000 (300/300) (10d10) (+0,+15) (+3)', which speeds you up by 0.3, and might have hidden powers! Also, the game doesn't last long enough. Make dungeons (oh, the hell thing's lame - dungeons are much cooler) larger - much larger! Nothing says fun like searching a level several times because you can't find the stairs!

:P

Melon

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Colonel
  • Men are from Mars, Women are from Snickers
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2009, 01:30 »

No, the game's too simple! Add the Angband enchantment system, so you could have a Double Shotgun of Extra Attacks (6d3x3) (+2,+9) (+2), and maybe a 'the Doomguy's BFG9000 (300/300) (10d10) (+0,+15) (+3)', which speeds you up by 0.3, and might have hidden powers! Also, the game doesn't last long enough. Make dungeons (oh, the hell thing's lame - dungeons are much cooler) larger - much larger! Nothing says fun like searching a level several times because you can't find the stairs!

:P
There is a green armour here.
Yuo pick up the green armour.

What do you want to read? [g-j]?
You read the scroll of identify. What do you want to identify?
Doomguy's green armour of resistance (+5) (+3 WP, +5 S).
You put on the Doomguy's green armour of resistance (+5) (+3 WP, +5 S). The Doomguy's green armour of resistance (+5) (+3 WP, +5 S) suddenly turns black!
You are wearing The Cursed Doomguy's black armour of resistance (+5) (+3 WP, +5 S)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 07:22 by Melon »
Ludzie, którzy piją, są dla mnie niczym...

... niczym bracia!
Pages: [1]