Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 19:32
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Questions about DoomRL's engine and stuff you can do with it  (Read 21039 times)

Thomas

• DoomRL Wiki and Testing Ops
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Major General
  • How's it going?
    • View Profile

Alrighty, I've basically finished everything about my DoomRL mod except for actually making it. So I got some questions about the features I'm not sure if I'll have to program in or if it's already there.

1. If you give an enemy a "move <direction>" command, but the player is in the way, does it automatically melee attack the player?
2. Is it possible to make a special level that has white stairs and red stairs? (i.e allow the player to choose if he wants to do a series of special levels or just the first one)
3. Is it possible to check if the player has any HP packs, and destroy one or more if they do? (Hahaha)
4. Is it possible to destroy all items on the level? The walls must remain unharmed though.
5. Do items give you points on use? If so, is it possible to change the point value of an INDIVIDUAL item without changing the rest of that particular item type?
6. Does the game distinguish between dodging something with a sidestep and just having the enemy miss? Is it possible to keep a tally of "sidestep dodges" and "lucky dodges"?
7. Is it possible to make a special level with 2 different possible layouts? Is it possible to bias the RNG towards one of the possibilities?
8. Is it possible to change the messages the game gives you in the top two rows depending on difficulty? (Okay that's pretty obvious but whatever)
9. Is it possible to give an enemy "Move to this co-ordinate" command?
10. Does the game track when an enemy refuses to move because it was blocked by a wall/lava/whatever? (If it doesn't, that'd be a good AI upgrade for the current getting-trapped-by-lava-while-you-shoot-them-from-far-away AI)
Arch-Vile Chaos Major Thomas
[26/26/26/25/9/1]
Medals: 35/43 Specials: 69/67 Assemblies: 36/40

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
Re: Questions about DoomRL's engine and stuff you can do with it
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 06:56 »

Mind you, all the answers are valid withing the current state of DoomRL, and assuming that one only changes the lua scripts in the WAD file.

1. If you give an enemy a "move <direction>" command, but the player is in the way, does it automatically melee attack the player?
9. Is it possible to give an enemy "Move to this co-ordinate" command?
10. Does the game track when an enemy refuses to move because it was blocked by a wall/lava/whatever? (If it doesn't, that'd be a good AI upgrade for the current getting-trapped-by-lava-while-you-shoot-them-from-far-away AI)
AI is hardcoded into the engine as for now. All you can do is "drop-in" monsters.

2. Is it possible to make a special level that has white stairs and red stairs? (i.e allow the player to choose if he wants to do a series of special levels or just the first one)
Unsure whether it would work.

3. Is it possible to check if the player has any HP packs, and destroy one or more if they do? (Hahaha)
No.

4. Is it possible to destroy all items on the level? The walls must remain unharmed though.
Yes.

5. Do items give you points on use? If so, is it possible to change the point value of an INDIVIDUAL item without changing the rest of that particular item type?
Score is calculated at game end with a fixed algorithm.

6. Does the game distinguish between dodging something with a sidestep and just having the enemy miss? Is it possible to keep a tally of "sidestep dodges" and "lucky dodges"?
The game does, the lua engine doesn't see combat at all.

7. Is it possible to make a special level with 2 different possible layouts? Is it possible to bias the RNG towards one of the possibilities?
Yes. Level 1 is made like that ;).

8. Is it possible to change the messages the game gives you in the top two rows depending on difficulty? (Okay that's pretty obvious but whatever)
All in-game messages are hardcoded. As for special level messages and plot messages, do what you want to do (there's a DIFFICULTY global variable).
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

ntc

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 18:54 »

Aww, Thomas you beat me! I was gonna start a topic similar to this one...

Well, ive been interested in modding DoomRL and ive been wondering: is it possible to change the size of the maps that the RNG makes? (From 80x20 to say 150x80) And if you can, could you scroll the map as the player moves around it?

Aki

• Marketing/PR and Wiki Ops
  • Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2009, 00:11 »

I believe (Probably incorrectly) That Berserk uses such a feature (Screen scrolling).
[0.9.9.7]
Badges: [22/17/15/10/4/0]

Thomas

• DoomRL Wiki and Testing Ops
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Major General
  • How's it going?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2009, 00:20 »

I believe (Probably incorrectly) That Berserk uses such a feature (Screen scrolling).

Berserk doesn't, AliensRL and DiabloRL do.

AI is hardcoded into the engine as for now. All you can do is "drop-in" monsters.

Hm. Can I make a new AI and "drop in" an enemy with my new AI, but keep other enemies with the old AI?

Score is calculated at game end with a fixed algorithm.

My idea was to make a powerup that drops off enemies that is worth points and maybe a very small amount of healing. To encourage better players to play more aggressively, the value of these powerups would slowly deteriorate until they reached 0 points and disappeared, making sniping enemies very inefficient points-wise.

It also gives you a way to trade HP for points. If the item hits the ground while you're still fighting and you want to get it while it's still got a high value, you pick it up and take an extra turn worth of damage.

So:
Can you put a powerup in an enemy's inventory, so that it drops from the inventory but must be instantly used by the player like normal?
Can you make a variable that applies to only one item in the game, and no other items of its type? Can I then put this value in to a tally, and add the tally to the player's score at the end of the game?
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 00:24 by Thomas »
Arch-Vile Chaos Major Thomas
[26/26/26/25/9/1]
Medals: 35/43 Specials: 69/67 Assemblies: 36/40

Aki

• Marketing/PR and Wiki Ops
  • Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2009, 00:26 »

Could some light be shed on Monster Inventories, Monsters equipping items, ect?
[0.9.9.7]
Badges: [22/17/15/10/4/0]

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2009, 05:10 »

Well, ive been interested in modding DoomRL and ive been wondering: is it possible to change the size of the maps that the RNG makes? (From 80x20 to say 150x80) And if you can, could you scroll the map as the player moves around it?
The DoomRL 1 engine has been designed from ground up with this in mind, so nothing will change in this regard.
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Melon

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Colonel
  • Men are from Mars, Women are from Snickers
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2009, 07:02 »

The DoomRL 1 engine has been designed from ground up with this in mind, so nothing will change in this regard.

DoomRL 1 engine? When are we going to have DoomRL 3D? [;
Ludzie, którzy piją, są dla mnie niczym...

... niczym bracia!

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2009, 10:15 »

As history shows, you'll have to wait some time for DoomRL 2 beforehand. And after DoomRL 3D's success you'll have to wait for DoomRL Forever... well ... Forever ;).
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

ntc

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2009, 11:34 »

Another question: is there any feature along the lines of prefabs? What i mean is can you load part of a level from a file (or something else) and randomly generate the rest of the level?

Melon

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Colonel
  • Men are from Mars, Women are from Snickers
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2009, 13:32 »

As history shows, you'll have to wait some time for DoomRL 2 beforehand. And after DoomRL 3D's success you'll have to wait for DoomRL Forever... well ... Forever ;).
Maybe we should wait for something less... difficult to create? We shoot make DoomRL RPG, DoomRL RTS, Heroes of Doom and RL, DoomRL Tetris?
Ludzie, którzy piją, są dla mnie niczym...

... niczym bracia!

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2009, 14:32 »

Laugh, but all of those have been already made -- none of them survived thou...
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Zi

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2009, 14:33 »

How about a DoomRL FPS?  We can even use the Doom engine!

Madtrixr

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2009, 22:26 »

DoomRL Peggle?
<Malek_Deneith> What is a PC? A miserable little pile of XP. But enough plot - have at you!

[B/S/G/P/D]
[19/8/5/0/0]

UnderAPaleGreySky

• Greater Elder
  • Brigadier General
  • Chaos Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2009, 12:27 »

DoomRL Bejeweled!
Under a pale grey sky, we shall arise.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All