Chaosforge Forum

• April 26, 2024, 12:56
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Publicity  (Read 9093 times)

Thomas

• DoomRL Wiki and Testing Ops
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Major General
  • How's it going?
    • View Profile
Re: Publicity
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2009, 04:56 »

Vestin -- so what about this -- "Kornel Kisielewicz's about to make you his bitch" :P

If I didn't already play DoomRL, this would make me drop whatever I was doing and immediately download it.

It's so true, too!
Arch-Vile Chaos Major Thomas
[26/26/26/25/9/1]
Medals: 35/43 Specials: 69/67 Assemblies: 36/40

Plague Doctor

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2009, 12:33 »

I think that the biggest problem with doing any kind of trailer for a game like this is that there aren't a lot of interesting things to show. Don't get me wrong, I love it, but if you have never played any kind of roguelike game you will just look at it and think: What the hell did I just watch?

Another problem is actually trying to use game footage. The game isn't designed to be played like a fast paced action game, nor does it look like one. There aren't any graphics to draw attention away from the gameplay, which is a good thing for the guy playing it, because he can use his imagination to create a whole world in his mind. However, the person watching it will just get confused because the only thing he sees is a B that's throwing things at a @ in a labyrinth filled with . and #.

I think that the best way to actually get any publicity is to post some sessions on youtube or whatever. Post a link to this site in the comment box (Duh =P), try to explain what a roguelike is (Just the basics), so that people who have never played it before know what they are staring at and try to keep it short, use cuts between action sequences so people don't have to watch the boring bits (Or, if you want to post a complete game session, don't) but you already figured that out =P

« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 12:37 by Plague Doctor »
(One)
(More)
(Black)
(Heart)

Vestin

• Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
  • Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2009, 13:27 »

I think that the biggest problem with doing any kind of trailer for a game like this is that there aren't a lot of interesting things to show. Don't get me wrong, I love it, but if you have never played any kind of roguelike game you will just look at it and think: What the hell did I just watch?
A little known fact - curiosity didn't really kill the cat; it simple drove it to do lots of interesting and new things ;).

Another problem is actually trying to use game footage. The game isn't designed to be played like a fast paced action game, nor does it look like one.
That's why we're not going to use flashing lights and heavy, fast beat music. That's NOT the only way to promote a game, you know.

There aren't any graphics to draw attention away from the gameplay, which is a good thing for the guy playing it, because he can use his imagination to create a whole world in his mind. However, the person watching it will just get confused because the only thing he sees is a B that's throwing things at a @ in a labyrinth filled with . and #.
We don't need people who would be too stupid to get the idea. We're not promoting RLs in general - we're simply trying to lure people who either know RLs and/or are curious and bright.

I think that the best way to actually get any publicity is to post some sessions on youtube or whatever.
OMG - read what I said. We've figured this out already. THEY said I was supposed to wait :[.

Post a link to this site in the comment box (Duh =P), try to explain what a roguelike is (Just the basics)
Nah - give a link to a site that explains it in detail. And a link to our site and forum.

use cuts between action sequences so people don't have to watch the boring bits (Or, if you want to post a complete game session, don't) but you already figured that out =P
A roguelike playthrough CAN look awesome if you know what you're doing :>.
What's depressing is that is was published slightly earlier than our only DOOM:RL video... and has only a bit more views.

Madtrixr

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2009, 13:47 »

I'm doing the best I can, I'm spreading it with word of mouth.
<Malek_Deneith> What is a PC? A miserable little pile of XP. But enough plot - have at you!

[B/S/G/P/D]
[19/8/5/0/0]

Plague Doctor

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2009, 13:49 »

I know you already said it, that's why I said "you already figured that out" at the very end ;)

And your right, it can look really amazing if you know what you're doing.
I also didn't suggest any heavy music, you could get away with just using drones or more ambient stuff, think Lustmord or maybe Boris. Or, if you have the equipment, use some samples and create your own sound ;)

But you're right, I bitched and bitched without actually giving any kind of solution. So, here's one: If you need someone to edit some kind of movie together, some sessions or whatever, I might be able to help, both at home with premiere or at school with Avid or final cut.
(One)
(More)
(Black)
(Heart)

Journey

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2009, 21:09 »

Promoting to people who already play roguelikes is easiest - use the newsgroup, and message the roguetemple site operator.  However this group of people is pretty small.  It may be the case that it's worth trying to promote DoomRL to people who don't play roguelikes, especially once the graphical version is out.  Difficult, but a far larger pool of potential players.

One possible video type to create is to interspirse DoomRL footage with parallel footage from Doom.  Show Doomguy shooting a bunch of guys in Doom, then cut to Doomguy shooting a bunch of the same guys in a similar situation in DoomRL.

Madtrixr

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2009, 21:10 »

I heard about this when I listened to the Doom episode of Retronauts.
<Malek_Deneith> What is a PC? A miserable little pile of XP. But enough plot - have at you!

[B/S/G/P/D]
[19/8/5/0/0]

Thomas

• DoomRL Wiki and Testing Ops
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Major General
  • How's it going?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2009, 23:42 »

Just to keep this thread going, I'm pretty sure DoomRL already has much more word-of-mouth than many other roguelikes. In my experience, people bring up DoomRL within the first couple of pages of talking about roguelikes on other sites, even sites that are just generally about games.

I agree that the bigger problem is people not downloading it after hearing about it. Partially because its appeal as a roguelike is lost on many people, of course.

I'd either increase the publicity DoomRL gets on roguelike-dedicated sites (To be honest, I don't see it mentioned on roguelike sites nearly as much as game sites, ironically) or somehow make it more appealing to the average nerdy gamer like myself.
Arch-Vile Chaos Major Thomas
[26/26/26/25/9/1]
Medals: 35/43 Specials: 69/67 Assemblies: 36/40

Aki

• Marketing/PR and Wiki Ops
  • Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2009, 01:30 »

Strangely enough, DooMRL's mentioned less on Rougetemple or whatever it is then BerserkRL or AliensRL.
[0.9.9.7]
Badges: [22/17/15/10/4/0]

Vestin

• Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
  • Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2009, 13:05 »

This gives me another idea - we could make a tutorial video, explaining everything a person needs to know about DOOM:RL and RLs in general to start blasting some zombies. All we need is a good script and a person with sexy voice.

Of course - the response will be MUCH better if we manage to get a female voiceover of it xP...

But you're right, I bitched and bitched without actually giving any kind of solution. So, here's one: If you need someone to edit some kind of movie together, some sessions or whatever, I might be able to help, both at home with premiere or at school with Avid or final cut.
Excellent. Now all we need is to figure out how we want our trailer to look (and sound) and record some games...
Pages: 1 [2]  All