Chaosforge Forum

• April 26, 2024, 02:36
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Balance- Plasma Weapon Damage  (Read 11119 times)

Frankosity

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
Balance- Plasma Weapon Damage
« on: November 27, 2009, 05:13 »

With the fact that energy damage halves armour protection, I think DoomRL's plasma weaponry need a damage downgrade. As it is, a Former Commando can one-shot the player if you have any less than half health and decent armour, and Arachnotrons are no better. I can't count the number of times I've rounded a corner and instantly lost half my health to a lucky volley from an Arachno.

If energy damage is armour-piercing, I think it's reasonable to reduce the amount of damage energy weapons do to balance this out.

X-Heiko

• Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Balance- Plasma Weapon Damage
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2009, 09:18 »

Still, Arachnotrons are either pretty weak against close combat attacks or I've had a lot of luck so far. I agree on former Commandos though, however I think an accuracy downgrade for them would be more logical. Still, the plasma rifle is not that overpowered when used against a bunch of Viles and Mancubi. I'd suggest lowering former Commandos' accuracy and extending the Arachnotrons' melee weakness by making its attack a tad weaker so that hitting them with a chainsaw really becomes the trick to beating them.

ParaSait

• Baffen :P
  • Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Happy Little Boozer
    • View Profile
    • MPSF
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2009, 13:05 »

No. Arachnotron's ranged attack must be weakened too somehow. Seriously. (Unless the new armor damage system in the next version would already take care of that)

EDIT: Also, am I the only one who thinks Revenants are overpowered like that too?
EDIT2: Well... Actually I'd say every bigger enemy is more or less overpowered, really. Probably cause of the current armor damage system? (sorry for train of thinking :P)
« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 13:07 by Mrazerty »
[18|7|3|0|0|0] [MED:13/43] [SPE:36/67] [ASM:11/40]

Check out my epic youtube channel!
Currently playing The Bard's Tale and System Shock 2 (coop with GrAV1t)!

Frankosity

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2009, 13:25 »

No. Arachnotron's ranged attack must be weakened too somehow. Seriously. (Unless the new armor damage system in the next version would already take care of that)

EDIT: Also, am I the only one who thinks Revenants are overpowered like that too?
EDIT2: Well... Actually I'd say every bigger enemy is more or less overpowered, really. Probably cause of the current armor damage system? (sorry for train of thinking :P)

The problem with Arachnotrons is that they have a rapid-fire, high damage, armour-halving weapon which hits pretty consistently, so they need to have SOMETHING about them nerfed. Firing speed, accuracy, damage, one of these needs to go down.

And yeah, Revenants are horrible. They take off a third of your health when they hit, and they never, ever miss. I think they should be closer to their Doom counterparts by having normal missiles and the homing ones.

On the note of Revenant homing missiles, I think it'd be an interesting feature if the homing shots could be outrun, like in Doom. The Revenant could spawn a Homing Missile, a * which moves about as fast as a Lost Soul and moves towards you in a straight line, not taking into account obstacles.

ZZ

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2009, 13:40 »

They're all homing, but the thing the Doom is real-time, and missiles go upside-down, so you still can run away from them or bump it to the wall. Of course, it can't be in DooMRL.
Put a chainsaw in my coffin. If I go to Hell, I'll need to do some cleaning there.

ParaSait

• Baffen :P
  • Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Happy Little Boozer
    • View Profile
    • MPSF
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2009, 14:02 »

The Revenant could spawn a Homing Missile, a * which moves about as fast as a Lost Soul and moves towards you in a straight line, not taking into account obstacles.
Yea, that's a good idea. Actually that's how I imagined what the revenant's attack would be like by the time that bastard wasn't implemented yet.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 14:05 by Mrazerty »
[18|7|3|0|0|0] [MED:13/43] [SPE:36/67] [ASM:11/40]

Check out my epic youtube channel!
Currently playing The Bard's Tale and System Shock 2 (coop with GrAV1t)!

Frankosity

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2009, 15:46 »

They're all homing, but the thing the Doom is real-time, and missiles go upside-down, so you still can run away from them or bump it to the wall. Of course, it can't be in DooMRL.

In Doom 2 the Revenant had two types of missiles, the homing ones and the non-homing, which did a LOT more damage than the homing projectiles.

X-Heiko

• Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2009, 05:57 »

This is where I would suggest my unique item suggestion to be just a common item that spawns rarely: The energy armor. It's more tactical if there is SOME rock-paper-scissors element in it.

On Revenants: They are too fast. Melee characters rarely even get the possibility to chainsaw them. They should have a certain threshold of distance which, if you come closer than that (3-4 squares maybe) provokes them to use melee attacks. I mean: Revenants flee from you at the moment.

two-meter high skeletons with medieval-plate-armor homing rocket launchers who are masters of "undead fist-do". RUN from you. Me no likey.

Madtrixr

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2009, 19:02 »

This is where I would suggest my unique item suggestion to be just a common item that spawns rarely: The energy armor. It's more tactical if there is SOME rock-paper-scissors element in it.

On Revenants: They are too fast. Melee characters rarely even get the possibility to chainsaw them. They should have a certain threshold of distance which, if you come closer than that (3-4 squares maybe) provokes them to use melee attacks. I mean: Revenants flee from you at the moment.

two-meter high skeletons with medieval-plate-armor homing rocket launchers who are masters of "undead fist-do". RUN from you. Me no likey.

They run away probably to shoot more rockets at you. They may be skeletons, but they ain't stupid.
<Malek_Deneith> What is a PC? A miserable little pile of XP. But enough plot - have at you!

[B/S/G/P/D]
[19/8/5/0/0]

Fanta Hege

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Will it work? I HAVE NO IDEA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2009, 20:45 »

They run away probably to shoot more rockets at you. They may be skeletons, but they ain't stupid.

In the regular Doom however, revenants had the biggest and nastiest meelee attack of the whole game with that skeleton punch. Its somewhat disapointing that they don't have it in the RL.
i dont even know anymore

UnderAPaleGreySky

• Greater Elder
  • Brigadier General
  • Chaos Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2009, 22:51 »

Please, enough with the Rev's. This is supposed to be about balancing (which I myself don't think necessary) the damage of plasma weapons.
Under a pale grey sky, we shall arise.

bfg9001

• Elder
  • First Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2009, 01:49 »

My apologies for remaining off topic, but I agree as well that the Rev needs to be nerfed. In Doom 2, the damn things were a push-over in wide open spaces.

On topic, I think plasma weapon damage is fine. After all, it's friggin' plasma, lol.

skarczew

• Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2009, 05:45 »

I wonder whether reducing the amount of plasma "bullets" per volley would help.
Such reduction would work both sides (for marine and demons) - and could help reducing the strength of AmmoChain.

Another way of helping may be reducing armor downgrade slightly.

Sylph

• Elder
  • Major
  • Galaxy Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2009, 05:52 »

Oh yes, those arachnotrons and revenants can cause real problems - lets nerf them!

- On the subject of massive damage - mancubi can kill you in a single turn from 100% health, so obviously nerf them too.
- While were at it, armour melting was mentioned in this topic - we should nerf barons because its their attacks that strip your armour down to nothing with acid, and they have too much health. Their armour-stripping is probably the reason arachs and former commandos are so dangerous.
- Then nerf hellknights, because theyre supposed to be lesser barons.
- Arch-viles are strongly considered the nastiest monsters in the game, their 2 undodgeable attacks would be ok were it not for them resurrecting corpses. Perhaps remove their resurrection ability.
- Then those former human sergeants can take a good 50% health off at close range - nerf them, and perhaps remove their knockback.
etc etc... ;)

You have to be careful of making the game too easy. I personally love the thrill of entering a spider cave level, knowing that danger is all around and I have got to do some serious tactical thinking to survive. Nerfing things would take this thrill away.

On a serious note - reducing plasma damage would indeed help reduce the power of ammochain, and isnt half a bad idea, but I think arachnotron and former commando accuracy should then be *in*creased to counterbalance this. Besides, there have been plenty of better suggestions to reduce the power of ammochain. The difficulty in the game is just about right at the moment, and certainly doesnt need making any easier, (in my very humble and single opinion).
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 06:03 by Sylph »
Badges:
DRL:26 22 22 19 13 6
  JH:15 13 11   7   2

Frankosity

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2009, 09:16 »

I know this is a sarcastic attempt at making a point with a slippery-slope argument, but still:

- On the subject of massive damage - mancubi can kill you in a single turn from 100% health, so obviously nerf them too.

But they're also massively innacurate, so unless you're in a highly confined space or up against a wall they're not going to instakill you. Death is entirely dependent on your own grasp of tactics.

- While were at it, armour melting was mentioned in this topic - we should nerf barons because its their attacks that strip your armour down to nothing with acid, and they have too much health. Their armour-stripping is probably the reason arachs and former commandos are so dangerous.

Actually, armour fragility is being fixed in the next beta. The reason Arachs and Commandos are so dangerous isn't because they can tear up armour, but that they're extremely accurate and plasma damage, besides being highly damaging in its' own right, also pierces armour.

- Then nerf hellknights, because theyre supposed to be lesser barons.

Hell Knights are perfectly balanced. They're a tad more dangerous than Cacodemons, but they won't one-shot you and can be taken down without receiving a single hit if you're at all proficient at the game.

- Arch-viles are strongly considered the nastiest monsters in the game, their 2 undodgeable attacks would be ok were it not for them resurrecting corpses. Perhaps remove their resurrection ability.

The Archviles' auto-hit attack is annoying, but considering they're the rarest, most dangerous enemy in the game, it's not entirely unfair for them to have that. Although I'm in favour of them having to charge the attack for a turn, like in Doom 2.

- Then those former human sergeants can take a good 50% health off at close range - nerf them, and perhaps remove their knockback.

If you're stupid enough to get that close to a Sergeant, you deserve to die. Once again, death is by no means guaranteed if you have half a brain.

You have to be careful of making the game too easy. I personally love the thrill of entering a spider cave level, knowing that danger is all around and I have got to do some serious tactical thinking to survive. Nerfing things would take this thrill away.

There's a difference between a challenge created by the need to think tactically and a challenge created by a massively overpowered damage type that can kill you in 1 turn when you've got Red Armour and over half your health left, or an enemy that literally never misses and can take off a third of your health in one hit.
Pages: [1] 2  All