Chaosforge Forum

• May 16, 2024, 18:34
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: The Doom Bible, The Story of Tei Tenga, DoomRL 2 game modes  (Read 2363 times)

X-Heiko

• Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile

Yesterday I read about what Doom was originally supposed to be like and how many characters from the Doom Bible got implemented into Rise of the Triad afterwards. I also read about that TC called "Assault on Tei Tenga", which is an attempt to recreate this original draft.

That got me thinking - A game with more storyline and only partially randomized levels, along with a hub structure of levels? This is something that fits a rougelike far more than a mod to a game that wasn't meant to be so deep.

I would gladly help with the writing and coding (if possible and desired) if DoomRL 2 was to have a, let's call it "Origins" game play mode that puts you in the place of the original Doom on the planet Tei Tenga, along with the now-ROTT-team.

Also, that led to the idea of other gameplay modes, such as user-made campaigns, survival modes, a Deimos capaign... I mean, how hard can writing a level editor for ASCII maps be? Generally, implementing friendly units on a map could enhance the gameplay.

Which even brings up another idea: a team that you can direct. Change characters to control one directly. Give them orders such as "Guard", "Advance" or "Search and Destroy". Would also make sense in the Origins mode.

I know, it's a shitload of complicated stuff but apart from that, how do you like the idea(s)?

Frankosity

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
Re: The Doom Bible, The Story of Tei Tenga, DoomRL 2 game modes
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2009, 10:13 »

Persnally, I think making it more hub-based would somewhat contradict the design philosophy of DoomRL, which emphasises a straight run through twenty-five levels of manic destruction; the team control aspect as well. I think it's definitely an interesting concept, but probably not to be implemented as a core change to DoomRL, and it's a bit too big to have as a gameplay 'mode'.

However, there were ideas from the Doom Bible that I always wanted to see implemented, like mundane guns being slowly supplanted by demonic weapons.

bfg9001

• Elder
  • First Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: The Doom Bible, The Story of Tei Tenga, DoomRL 2 game modes
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2009, 13:33 »

I think the hub-based system would be pretty cool. I remember having tried the Doom Alpha (or Beta? I forget) a while back, and the level started off with a bunch of marines sitting around a table, playing cards. I always thought that was bad ass.
Pages: [1]