Chaosforge Forum

• May 17, 2024, 08:37
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: Berserk revised, or Gargulec's bit crazy idea for spicing AoB up  (Read 16897 times)

Gargulec

• High Priest of the Forge
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
  • Believe!
    • View Profile
Re: Berserk revised, or Gargulec's bit crazy idea for spicing AoB up
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2010, 16:53 »

First: the movespeed is not reduced, but improved- read 0.8 as 0.8 of normal move speed
Second: this system does not punish you for killing to much- it, in fact, forces you to kill a lot to get proper berserk going on. However, to prevent you from becoming invincible, there are penalties. Also, as I said before, it adds tactics to the AoB- you need to time yourself properly- Game Of Tactical Bloodshed, as somebody once put it.
Third: while chainsaw + brute 2 + berserk is fine for winning, this system was thought to allow player actually BERSERKING (ie. killing everything) through late levels, with all those very high damage and movespeed etc. bonuses.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 16:56 by Gargulec »
And greater honour is well due to them
when they foresee (and many of them foresee)
that in the end Ephialtes will appear,
that after all the Persian shall break through.

yns88

• Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2010, 17:15 »

First: the movespeed is not reduced, but improved- read 0.8 as 0.8 of normal move speed

Ah, this makes much more sense.

Another thing to note: The wiki right now says that Berserk reduces incoming damage by 4x. This means that if you have red armor (or blue armor + TaN 2), then an enemy would have to do 24 damage (approximately the maximum damage of a Revenant rocket) to you just to make you take 2hp of damage. Being Frenzied in this new system, you would take 6hp of damage. So this actually nerfs berserk armor by quite a bit.

Perhaps:
Angered - incoming damage / 2
Enraged - damage / 3
Furious - damage / 4
Frenzied - same as furious
BERSERK! -  all damage is reduced to 1
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 17:18 by yns88 »

Gargulec

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
  • Believe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2010, 17:17 »

Well, AFAIK, berserk gives you 6 points of additional armor. Try walking on lava while zerked and bootles- you will see taking 6 points of damage, instead of 12.

yns88

• Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2010, 17:21 »

Maybe the wiki is outdated, then.

Gargulec

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
  • Believe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2010, 17:40 »

Also, done a little bit of research about monsters damage, and it would appear that in most of the cases, excluding R's and BoH's, 12 armor is enough to reduce all damage to 'not-dangerous' level.

raekuul

• Supporter
  • Brigadier General
  • Storyteller Under The Bridge
    • View Profile
    • Veldania
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2010, 17:50 »

Ick.

I really hope that it's impossible to be on Berserk Level 6 or 7 for longer than 5 moves... Other than that concern, I think this might be worth forking off for.
Tormuse doesn't lose, he dies on purpose to lull the demons into a false sense of security.

Gargulec

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
  • Believe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2010, 17:53 »

Thanks to the sorear, I know know that yns88 was actually right. Berserk quarters the damage. However, it should not change this system. Why? Because the main idea of it is to force player to 'spin-up' before killing the big guys. Opinions.

Cobalt

• Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2010, 18:48 »

Still don't like it.  It's penalizing the player for playing the game right.  Forcing him to stop killing when he hits a certain threshold is totally arbitrary.  What if you need to tab out but you're in the middle of a crowd of viles and revenants?  Out of luck, I guess.

Thomas

• DoomRL Wiki and Testing Ops
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Major General
  • How's it going?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2010, 19:12 »

Still don't like it.  It's penalizing the player for playing the game right.  Forcing him to stop killing when he hits a certain threshold is totally arbitrary.  What if you need to tab out but you're in the middle of a crowd of viles and revenants?  Out of luck, I guess.

Assuming you've managed to make it to Insane!, you could use a homing phase when you still have 5 or more HP, then tab out before you die. Or use a large medpack to give you just a few more seconds of unstoppable damage (Unless it's decided that healing should reduce your berserk level, but that's good too considering you're at a dangerously high level already)

Also "playing the game right" isn't necessarily about killing everything all the time. All of Kornel's games involve periods of time where you're highly vulnerable, such as when you need to reload a weapon in DoomRL or you have a high pain rating in Berserk!.

This system improves the flow of AoB by making it reasonably easy for DoomGuy to get ludicrous damage bonuses but also give him two moments of vulnerability that you have to work around, namely when he's taking lots of damage from being Crazed/Insane and when he's totally lost all the armour bonuses berserking provides because he tabbed out or stopped killing things recently.
Arch-Vile Chaos Major Thomas
[26/26/26/25/9/1]
Medals: 35/43 Specials: 69/67 Assemblies: 36/40

Cobalt

• Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2010, 20:24 »

AoB is very difficult already.  There's no real need to add another point of vulnerability, especially one that only appears if you are progressing.  If you worked hard to get a berserk timed well to help you defeat difficult enemies, it makes no sense to cripple you for that accomplishment and force you to use resources and/or give up on a pack of enemies because you were doing well against them.

Gargulec

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
  • Believe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2010, 00:59 »

Apart from adding points of weakness, this also gives you incredible killing power when the zerk is spun right. Do bear in mind that aboye BERSERK!, you're invincible.

Also, an option: instead of voidng all of your berserk effects when healed, the system goes like this:
Small Helath Globes and Small Health Packs drops your berserk level by five steps.
Large healing items drops you berserk level to 0.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 01:12 by Gargulec »

S.K. Ren

• DiabloRL Beta Tester
  • Sergeant
  • You can hide... until there's nowhere left to run
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2010, 02:10 »

How about a fail-safe then? If the berserk penalty were to drop you below 1 HP, you retain that 1 HP and lose berserk. I mean either way you're gonna die soon. I personally see no problems with the proposed system. In fact I can see ways of abusing it- very, very badly.

Such as Chained Court... 250s(500s on N!) of lv5 berserk. As long as you don't kill anything or waste time, you can run all the way to lv25 with minimal effort.  Losing 2 hp per second just isn't all that bad. Granted the RNG may put you in a position requiring an emergency heal, thus ending your zerk run early. But say before chained you took all 3 levels of Ironman, giving you 80 HP. That means you could last up to 79 moves (taking 39.5s), before needing a heal. I you got really lucky and landed a supercharge you could last twice that. Which doesn't even use up the entire duration.

What I might suggest is instead taking 1 HP per half-second:
for BERSERK!, make it 4% per second. 2(2/2/3) Dmg; Those with 3 levels of Iro, will take an extra point. Taking damage every second gives you a safety turn to heal move before you bleed out from your raging (since move and act speeds are halved at this level). Compare to 2 Dmg per second as it wouold be in the original suggestion.
for Crazed!, make it 7% per second. 3(4/4/5) Dmg; Again Iro users see a small increase in damage taken. Compare to 4 damage per second as it would be in the original suggestion.
for Insane!, make it 10% per second. 5(6/7/8) Dmg; This level really show the difference. Compare to 8 Dmg per second as it would be in the original suggestion.

Personally I think this looks more balanced. I also assumed that all % would be floored when determining the damage taken.
(6:50:00 AM) Simon-v: How do you live in a world where Everything's Trying To Kill You?
(6:50:23 AM) xander_morhaime: Briefly.

Gargulec

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
  • Believe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2010, 02:47 »

Hwy, I like your failsafe idea very much. And concerning the prcentages, I like them as well but I would want to hear Thomas's opinion on them.

Passionario

• Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2010, 05:27 »

Also, do bear in mind that berserk levles above two are near invincibility, so the damage you take for it appears to be a fair trade, does not it?

I propose we take the middle man out, and have levels above two boost only the killing power, not survivability.
Who do you send when Warp can't get the job done?

Gargulec

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
  • Believe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2010, 05:41 »

I propose we take the middle man out, and have levels above two boost only the killing power, not survivability.

Too hardcore, sadly. 6 armor is to little to keep you from getting slaughtered..
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All