Chaosforge Forum

• April 28, 2024, 06:42
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Just a couple of RL ideas  (Read 4044 times)

Doops

Just a couple of RL ideas
« on: March 19, 2010, 21:45 »

I saw the other thread was locked so I figured I would post a few of my ideas.
One is HexenRL. I love hexen. probably too much.
Hexen RL would be awesome. You get 3 classes, levels, maybe traits, same items and weapons (plus new ones of course). Plus it would be friggin awesome. just saying

The other is SmashT.V.-RL. now this one is kinda "out there" but smash tv was an old top down action shooter for the arcade and snes. you were on a tv show killing people, getting weapons and powerups plus BIG MONEY BIG PRIZES I LOVE IT!

these are just dreams of mine. maybe one of these days I can figure out how to program and make them myself since it apparently only takes 7 days hehe.

GenTechJ

• Tester - DoomRL Staff
  • Elder
  • Sergeant
  • Hail to the king baby!
    • View Profile
Re: Just a couple of RL ideas
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 21:53 »

Some of these ideas are essentially doable in the modding of DoomRL.

Thus far, traits, classes, and the like are unmoddable. But the enemies, weapons, items, etc are totally doable. Check the sandbox mode in the latest release, and follow the tutorial for the Q2Demo on the wiki and to learn the scripting, plus look at all the other things you can do but aren't totally described. Would be interested in playing your mods if you pull them off.

Doops

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 10:53 »

Some of these ideas are essentially doable in the modding of DoomRL.

Thus far, traits, classes, and the like are unmoddable. But the enemies, weapons, items, etc are totally doable. Check the sandbox mode in the latest release, and follow the tutorial for the Q2Demo on the wiki and to learn the scripting, plus look at all the other things you can do but aren't totally described. Would be interested in playing your mods if you pull them off.
Since the traits and classes can't be changed it would be difficult to do a hexen mod. its possible though if you could just relabel or rename the traits to work around that. it would probably be easier to do smash-t.v. mod.

i basically have no programming experience. i guess the only thing close to it is i used to make short RPGs on a program called RPG Maker (go figure) and did some extremely light programming. so how steep is the learning curve on making a mod?

WhiteMagicRaven

• Private
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010, 01:37 »

For HeXen modding, best way to use source port like skulltag http://www.skulltag.net/
You can start this topic on skulltag forums http://skulltag.net/forum/
Learn for scripting, programming, mapping, etc, getting help.

GenTechJ

• Tester - DoomRL Staff
  • Elder
  • Sergeant
  • Hail to the king baby!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2010, 02:24 »

Since the traits and classes can't be changed it would be difficult to do a hexen mod. its possible though if you could just relabel or rename the traits to work around that. it would probably be easier to do smash-t.v. mod.

i basically have no programming experience. i guess the only thing close to it is i used to make short RPGs on a program called RPG Maker (go figure) and did some extremely light programming. so how steep is the learning curve on making a mod?

I feel the learning curve is a bit easy, but then due to modding some RTS games like Kohan 2, Dawn of War, Dawn of War 2, and the like (all of which used lua). But my first experience with lua felt easy enough, everything's pretty clearly labeled and gives you an idea of what does what. However, since you've done light programming in RPG Maker (I'm a fellow user), this shouldn't be too hard.

Like I said, follow the tutorial here http://doom.chaosforge.org/wiki/index.php?title=Modding:Tutorial1 and it'll walk you through it. Once you feel confident enough of making your own stuff this section of the wiki http://doom.chaosforge.org/wiki/index.php?title=Sandbox#Reference_pages gives you all the info you need in order to do more with sandbox mode.

Oh, and when you follow the tutorial, actually do what it says. Learn through doing. ;) Here's a blank template with everything spaced out in the order it should be in (found out while making a level that the MISSILES section needs to come before the WEAPONS section, otherwise DoomRL crashes).

Doops

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2010, 13:34 »

thank you!
Pages: [1]