Chaosforge Forum

• June 04, 2024, 19:14
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: [0.9.9.1] (Win) direct rocket hit without damage  (Read 3283 times)

Gooselord

• Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
[0.9.9.1] (Win) direct rocket hit without damage
« on: April 02, 2010, 18:22 »

Somebody mentioned in another thread taking a direct hit from the Cyberdemon's rocket and surviving without damage. After playing around with the sandbox I found this to be indeed possible. It seems that applying the effect of the blast to the target comes only after knockback - thus if the hit manages to knock you outside the blast radius (more likely with a high-damage weapon since knockback is calculated from damage) you won't take a scratch! Having enemies or other stuff nearby may have some effect but that seems to be the gist of it.

On the subject of the sandbox, why do several of the attributes seem to do nothing? I've tried playing with weapon/missile attributes like miss_base, miss_dist, maxrange and expl_color, but to my disappointment am not seeing any effect. Of course, what some of these are even supposed to do seems to be unknown. (EDIT - funny, now I did get the explosions to change color. Still unsure of the other ones.)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 18:42 by Gooselord »

Polymeron

• Private FC
  • I juggle shotguns
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.9.1] (Win) direct rocket hit without damage
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 05:01 »

I've experienced this with enemies - a direct rocket hit throws them around, but does little to no damage. When three direct rocket hits make a Hell Knight barely wounded, you know something's amiss...
.mortem or it didn't happen.

bricks

• Elder
  • Private FC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 10:26 »

The immunity to blast damage is making sense now.  Every time I got directly hit with CD's rocket, I took no damage but still was knocked back, and I imagine that what happened is that it calculated knockback, pushed me a few squares away, and then noticed that I was now outside the "direct hit" tile and didn't deduct health because I had MFa.  So now, taking traits/armor that reduce knockback is potentially detrimental to the player.  Ugh.

There are a lot of leftover properties in the code, from what I understand.  I haven't gotten expl_color to work, either, but I think miss_base and miss_dist do have an effect on accuracy - I'm just not sure how or what.  The tutorial glosses over those pretty heavily.

Kejardon

• Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 07:43 »

The accuracy formula was listed as X +Y*D, X being a base value and Y being a distance modifier. I'm guessing that's what miss_base and miss_dist are for. Low base and high dist would mean a weapon that's accurate close up but inaccurate at range, high base and low distance would mean a weapon that's plain inaccurate, high both would mean a weapon that's inaccurate close up and utterly cannot hit at range.
I haven't played with sandbox at all though so yeah, that's just pure speculation from things I've read.

Ratha

• Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 11:42 »

I experienced this on angel of max carnage hey not too rough difficulty. I had a power modded missile launcher, and was fighting the two brothers. After 3-4 hits to each, one of the brothers was scratched, and the other was unhurt.

Gooselord

• Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2010, 09:42 »

I tested the expl_color, by the way - BLUE, GREEN, MAGENTA, LIGHTRED and YELLOW will produce a different colored explosion. With the others you just get the standard colors. What I was also wondering about those properties is that there's a projectile with limited range in the game (the throwing knife) yet I haven't been able to succesfully make something similar.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 09:45 by Gooselord »

yupsi

• Elder
  • Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 07:17 »

I can confirm what OP is saying, wasted about 8 missiles launcher rockets on one cacodemon on AoMC HNTR. I had Cateye. Cacodemon was knocked back first and only then explosions were rendered.

Tavana

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2010, 06:56 »

Current features being implimented should render this bug invalid. Yay for lots of explosions at once!
Common words do not mean common understanding. Language is mercurial. Meanings are never constant.
Pages: [1]