Chaosforge Forum

• April 26, 2024, 06:35
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Hidden nook on map?  (Read 1548 times)

Aoi

• Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
Hidden nook on map?
« on: April 27, 2010, 10:04 »

So I grabbed a map on L10 and noticed an interesting spot on the map in the wall that looks like the T-tetrad from Tetris hidden in the right wall. In addition, the walls on both the left and right side are unusually thick, at being 3/4 blocks wide. Unfortunately, I can't blow it open, being in AoM.

Is there usually something tucked in there that doesn't show up on the map? O_o

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike
Re: Hidden nook on map?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 11:02 »

(By the way, if you mean Angel of Marksmanship, that's AoMr.  Considering there's also AoMs (Masochism) and AoMC (Max Carnage), it's good to differentiate.)

Other than special levels (example: Hell's Arena) the floors are generally randomized.  If you could provide a screenshot or, at the least, the type of map it was (Maze of Rooms, Hellish City, etc), it would help this discussion greatly.  I'll ask if there happened to be water/acid/lava in or around that T-hole, as this can be the cause of some irregularities in the map's typical layout.  In addition, based on my knowledge of maps, it is possible for the more crowded maps to contain thicker borders (usually reserved for the Maze type).

There's a possibility that something was randomly lodged into that small region, but I highly doubt it would be particularly more useful than the other items that spawned with the level.
I'm just a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude.

Latest LPs: Angband, Delver

Aoi

• Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Hidden nook on map?
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 11:15 »

Hum. I thought briefly about screenshotting it but didn't. Whoops. ^^;; [And doubly so for the AoMr snafu; I think of it as a 'Mark' run myself and thusly botched the shorthand. Apologies.]

I thought the floor was rather strange because it was embedded in the far right wall. Normal floors, at least in my experience, typically have a wall 1-thick that acts as a boundary for the entire floor whereas this one had walls, going clockwise from the top, 1-4-1-3 units thick. The only gap in the otherwise entirely solid wall was in the lower right, where there was a small section that was like:

####
## #
#  #
## #
####

I haven't seen any anomalies like that and it was an ordinary "Maze of Rooms" type. It seemed like this cluster was intentionally sealed off, given the shape and location. However, a computer map [which was the only reason why I noticed it] indicated no items in there which made it seem even stranger...
Pages: [1]