Chaosforge Forum

• April 27, 2024, 07:59
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 39

Author Topic: Scales of War: DnD 4e PBF  (Read 195209 times)

Tavana

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
Re: Scales of War: DnD 4e PBF
« Reply #120 on: June 14, 2010, 02:41 »

Javil's eyes widen and he stares at your group for about three seconds before realizing that you're serious...and at once bursts into almost maniacal laughter. He manages to sputter out "You...Troyas...items of interest..." and then keeps laughing, all the while walking over to a large cabinet, also full of paperwork. While slowly quieting down, he takes a small bottle from the third drawer down and drains the contents of it.

"Ahem. Sorry about that. Well, I'm Javil, as I'm sure you could figure out. And yes, I'd say that there were some items of interest that were taken from the Hall last night. All of the commemorative "treasures" that the town kept to remember their stand against the Red Hand were taken. Secondly - and ever so slightly more important - my sun-blighted Castellan of the Hall got kidnapped!"

He once more attempts to drain the bottle, discovers that it is indeed still empty and throws it away in disgust. He doesn't really seem in the mood for small talk...
Common words do not mean common understanding. Language is mercurial. Meanings are never constant.

Malek Deneith

• Grand Inquisitor Emeritus
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 14, 2010, 02:43 »

- "Castellan of the Hall? You mean goblins didn't only steal old treasures and wreck the place but also kidnap one of people working here?" - warforged asked
Inquisition - saving your soul, one bolter shell at a time.
Spoiler: "Hackmaster Kills" (click to show/hide)

Tavana

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 14, 2010, 03:22 »

Javil blinks at such a question coming from the Warforged. "And now a Warforged! Gods be praised! We might actually have a chance beating back these Hobgoblins!" He was clearly not looking at you very closely earlier, and takes a moment to peer over the people standing in front of him.

"Alright, you've got my attention. Yes, Sertanian got kidnapped. I hear he's not the only one, either. But he's the most important one as far as I'm concerned. I own this shambles of a Hall, and he's the one who keeps everything running and catalogues what is actually in here. So to be blunt: I have no clue what actually got stolen. There were some shields, a big heavy sword, a helmet that I can remember, but I'm sure there's more stuff missing than that. All of it was either used to banish the Red Hand or was worn by their filthy excuse for an army. Doesn't take much to put two and two together and get 'they want to kill us all and resurrect the Red Hand.' I take it then that Troyas wants you lot to help?"
Common words do not mean common understanding. Language is mercurial. Meanings are never constant.

Madtrixr

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 14, 2010, 03:31 »

"Well," Norian said looking around, "That's pretty much what we figured he wanted us to do." Norian looked at the scholar, straight in the eyes, "I mean, we certainly are up to the challenge, and as a Cleric of Pelor, I know I cannot stand here and let these goblins try and terrioze the people, so, if you let us, we are willing and able to get everything, including the Castellan, back. Also, My buddy, Graven has some questions to ask about the Red Hand, but, considering the situation, it may have to wait..."
<Malek_Deneith> What is a PC? A miserable little pile of XP. But enough plot - have at you!

[B/S/G/P/D]
[19/8/5/0/0]

Tavana

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 14, 2010, 06:37 »

Javil sighs as he rifles through a pile of papers - which amounts to half of the mess the room is filed with. "Somewhere in this lot there's probably a mention of exactly what happened with the Red Hand. Not to mention a list of everything that's gone into this Hall. But I'll be damned if I can find it. The short version everyone knows, though: Bunch of Hobgoblins band together about ten years ago, decide that civilization has to go. Our Guards plus some helpful folks and a Warforged or two beat them back. Council decides they'll use my Hall to house the artifacts, and I get a Castellan to look over all my expenses and the Hall. Everything's fine and dandy and then my Hall gets ransacked, and I run out of my last stopper of mead."

"Look, I'm sure this is all very fun and whatnot for you fine people, but I've got to try and make sense of this...and make sure that the dwarves don't break anything out there. It's nearly time for them to finish for the day...and I have to arrange for them to be fed, or I'll not hear the end of it." Javil appears to be quite happy to get out of the room as he pushes through your group and towards the rubble filled Hall. In parting he calls out, "Have a look through those papers if you want. I'll be back in an hour, and you'll have to clear out then, though."

Madtrixr

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 14, 2010, 07:08 »

Norian looks as the run-ragged scholar walks out the door. "He needs a vacation, badly." Norian looks skyward, "Oh Pelor, mighty sun, could you find it in you to give Javil some time off in the near future?" He looks back down at his companions "Well then, shall we start looking? We've got an hour to look, so let's start looking."
<Malek_Deneith> What is a PC? A miserable little pile of XP. But enough plot - have at you!

[B/S/G/P/D]
[19/8/5/0/0]

Malek Deneith

• Grand Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 14, 2010, 07:18 »

- "We agree. If the council intends to get us to help them, as current data suggests then we should get all information we can. Especially considering that our summons mean we have limited amount of time.

fwoop

• Elder
  • Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 14, 2010, 08:08 »

"Yes! We punch evil until it goes boom ok! You ca-" Rah's heroism is suddenly cut short as his vision is suddenly surmounted by...
Paperwork. Documents. Books. Files. Scrolls.
Woooords.
"I-iiee aah-"
Rah's forehead begins to sweat profusely. Nobody must know that he cannot read!
"Uh-uhm you all too slow! Rah show you how to do it!"
Rah dives into a pile of paperwork and starts randomly shuffling them back and forth muttering "hmm ah yes indeed" while furrowing his brows.

Tavana

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 14, 2010, 08:33 »

Even without the help from the Halfling, (who is quite successful on his Bluff check) you have a mammoth task in front of you. Ten years of paperwork isn't an easy thing to sort through in an hour. Javil is late returning to kick you out of the office, giving you just short of two hours to search. In that time you manage to uncover the following information:

Sertanian is the Castellan of The Hall of Great Valor. He's a lousy record keeper.
There are seven items that that were on display on the section of wall displaying the heroics in defeating the Red Hand.
The sword is quite heavy and made of platinum - custom wall hangers had to be made to hold its weight.

Javil is much more composed when he enters the office once more. "Any luck? No, nevermind. I don't want to think about paperwork for the rest of the night. Don't worry about where you set your papers down, just get out. The council is running late tonight. Troyas sent a messenger, letting you know you could stay at the Antler and Thistle again tonight care of the council. Now please, get out so I can get off to dinner myself."

A path had been cleared through the rubble in the Hall of Great Valor, making your exit a lot easier than your entrance. A Guard at the entrance took up position behind you as you made your way back towards the Antler and Thistle once more, and was even helpful enough to let you know when you took a wrong turn. Aldus treated you to a full dinner, Grilled Boar with a pumpkin sauce. A light cherry mead was served for desert.

Another message came just as dinner was wrapping up. Aldus read it, smirked and turned to your group. "Well, folks, it looks like the council is as long winded as ever. They say they've come to a decision, but they're going to wait to tell you what they've decided until they've sorted a few more things out in town. Apparently someone will be here at day break to fill you in. Typical. Anyways, you know where your rooms are, beds are fresh. Tonight's on the council, but like you as much as I do, I'm going to have to start charging if you keep coming back here, alright? Don't stay up too late, because I'll be waking you early." The call of a woman (his wife presumably) gives him an excuse to wander away.

All in all, you didn't manage to actually accomplish much today.

Gargulec

• High Priest of the Forge
  • Local Inquisitor
  • Brigadier General
  • Believe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 14, 2010, 15:28 »

With loud sigh of relief, Karan took off her armour and unstrapped the sword from her back.

'At last' she muttered, stretching. Moment later, she sat down on one of the benches, only to raise again few moments later.

'Night is warm today' she said quietly, almost like she was speaking to herself, walking towards the door to the outside. She turned towards right before she left, saying 'If the gates are not closed, I should be back in an hour or two'
And greater honour is well due to them
when they foresee (and many of them foresee)
that in the end Ephialtes will appear,
that after all the Persian shall break through.

Tavana

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 15, 2010, 05:44 »

Karan's walk is uneventful, as a Guard tags along a few paces behind.

There is a subtle tension in the air this evening, and your sleep is restless. A crisp breeze wakes you, and your new morning ritual at the Antler and Thistle is interrupted by the man waiting for you downstairs. None other than Troyas himself.

"Good morning" are his only words until all of you are downstairs. His constant eye contact is a bit unnerving, and you find yourselves sitting at the table he is standing in front of without even thinking about it.

He waits until you're all suitably uncomfortable, and speaks "The council has come to a decision. Before I reveal it, I need you to understand something. Not all of the council is happy about this decision. Quite a few of them do not support the idea of hiring adventuring groups. The reasons may be subtle, but perhaps they could be as simple as money spent on you is less money for certain renovations on certain homes. But I digress."

His hand reaches inside his robes momentarily, and he pulls out Norian's summons. "This, I believe, is yours. Be more careful with it in the future." He sets the parchment near the centre of the table, and finally sits.

"The details of what the council would ask of you is this: there are seven persons missing from Brindol." He raises a finger with each name. "Kartenix - the captain of our Guards. Thurann - Kartenix's eight year old boy. Mirtala - a local cook. Sertanian - Castellan of the Hall of Great Valor. Jalissa - an acolyte of Ioun. Zerriksa - a herbalist rumored to have learned dark magic. Adronsius - an alchemist, sole proprietor of Alchemy by Adronsius. We would task you with their safe return if possible. Failing that, we would ask for their return."

"There are also the items from the Hall of Great Valor. These have little to no actual value, but they have meaning to Brindol. We would ask them returned. That would hinge on finding Sertanian alive, or being lucky enough to find and identify them in an alternative fashion. The items that the Red Hand wore would bear their crest, a dark red hand, fingers pointing skyward."

"In return for accomplishing these tasks, we would provide you with whatever aid the good people of Brindol can muster. I can promise this would not be a small sum."

His statements seem to have come from one breath. He obviously didn't rehearse this speech. Just good at saying what needs to be said, apparently. Troyas waits for a moment before continuing, "What say you in this matter?"

Madtrixr

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 15, 2010, 05:52 »

Norian looks at his companions, then looks at the summons, he grabs it, and boldly proclaims "I think I speak for us when I say, that we accept this offer, and will be on our way shortly. But if anyone has any objections, speak now."

[B/S/G/P/D]
[19/8/5/0/0]

Malek Deneith

• Grand Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 15, 2010, 05:59 »

- "We need to remember we have a timelimit for arriving in Overlook, even if it's quite a long one. As long as we manage to recover missing people and items within it I agree this would be to benefit to all" - Graven nods - "We think world doesn't need another goblinoid army."

Gargulec

• High Priest of the Forge
  • Local Inquisitor
  • Brigadier General
  • Believe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 15, 2010, 06:25 »

Karan returned from her night trip shortly before Troyas stormed in, slightly tired but cheerful.

'Well, I'd like to ask whether you have any clues on where those people can be now, of on the place from which the goblins came from?' she said after the council member finished his speech. 'Also, how far is Overlook from here? How many days of travel are needed to reach it?'

After a second of consideration, she asked one more question.

'Also "whatever aid and goods the people can muster" sounds rather vague for me...' she begun carefully. 'Pardon me, but experience commands me to ask: how much exactly?'
And greater honour is well due to them
when they foresee (and many of them foresee)
that in the end Ephialtes will appear,
that after all the Persian shall break through.

Tavana

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 15, 2010, 06:38 »

Councilmember Eoffram Troyas breathes a sigh of relief and folds his hands gently in front of him, allowing a real smile to touch his lips. "I assure you that the limited time imposed by your summons will not be a problem. Overlook is five days march from here, perhaps four if the need is pressing. But Marthton is less than a day distant. The Master of Summons seal was inked there. Were the limit to come upon us, I believe we could come to an arrangement with him."

"As to the reward I am afraid I cannot say exactly, politics being as they are. For those taken captive, that would depend upon their fate. If they return in good health, the council could not refuse to compensate you. As for returning the items from the Great Hall of valor, I can assure you 200gp. I will pay that myself if necessary."

"To the question of where to go next: I would suggest that you follow the Goblins' trail leading towards the North as quickly as possible, if not for one thing. Two night ago during the raid, we managed to capture a Hobgoblin who identifies himself as Morrik. I personally would suggest attempting to persuade him to reveal a safe route to their base of operations, should they have a permanent one."

Troyas begins to speak again, but stops himself. He glances at the sun now streaming inside through the front windows. "I am afraid that the council will be meeting again soon, and my presence will be required. I have told you what we know, so unless there are any further questions, I must take my leave. May Pelor light your path."
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 39