Chaosforge Forum

• April 27, 2024, 16:18
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Online database?  (Read 2258 times)

Kg

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Celestial Horizon
Online database?
« on: August 08, 2010, 11:25 »

How about everyone hi-scores (and mortems+replays) which can be viewable directly from game, let's say to upload your score you have to login with your forum account. This would be nice when connected with in-game demo player, so you can check someone's YAVP mortem, play demo and enjoy it with sound effects.
I don't know if it's even possible, but just a thought it could be nice. As for demo player, I see it with option of something like 'quantized' playback. So let's say every action is being quantized to specified time (ex. keypress every 0.3 seconds), replays would be more like live action play.
Even not counting this demo replay idea, creating such online ingame hi-scores (maybe with option to show stats of specific player) shouldn't be very hard.
Hell Baron 2nd Lieutenant
[22|11|4|0|0]
Latest: Eagerness Bronze

ParaSait

• Baffen :P
  • Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Happy Little Boozer
    • View Profile
    • MPSF
Re: Online database?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 13:29 »

Iirc that's kinda what I suggested and encouraged back when I was a member of that PR-ops group (telnet play to be exact).
But I think Kornel said it'd be too hard to get it implemented for some reason I can't recall exactly (freepascal technical restrictions or so..?)
Well, at least I hope this idea makes it to the future DRL2 or so, cause it seems like a lot of people would like to see this. :))

EDIT: By the way
I don't know if it's even possible, but just a thought it could be nice. As for demo player, I see it with option of something like 'quantized' playback. So let's say every action is being quantized to specified time (ex. keypress every 0.3 seconds), replays would be more like live action play.
Do you mean like watching someone play live like that telnet nethack thingy?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 13:34 by Mrazerty »
[18|7|3|0|0|0] [MED:13/43] [SPE:36/67] [ASM:11/40]

Check out my epic youtube channel!
Currently playing The Bard's Tale and System Shock 2 (coop with GrAV1t)!

Kg

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Celestial Horizon
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010, 16:30 »

Idk about nethack telnet, but it's about listing commands used and putting them to equal intervals, so you can think 5 minutes about next move but on replay it will appear faster.
[22|11|4|0|0]

Tavana

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2010, 19:09 »

A lot more is required than just listing what keys are pressed, you need to record what items there are, what monsters and where, and where they move. There's a lot of information to be recorded.
Common words do not mean common understanding. Language is mercurial. Meanings are never constant.

Kg

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Celestial Horizon
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2010, 04:55 »

Yea and not even only actions of monsters and item placement. Also dodges, misses, calculating damage, but I think it's not problem in amount of information, only in a method to resolve this - once you get it it's easy (or should be).
[22|11|4|0|0]

RogerN

• Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2010, 08:51 »

If the seed value for the random number generator is provided along with the list of commands then that ought to be sufficient to replay a game.  Depending on how saved games are implemented, you might need to include a different seed value for the start of each level.

Monster movement, dodging, level generation, item drops, etc... can all be replicated exactly with the correct seed (and assuming player commands are issued exactly as before).

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2010, 09:17 »

If the seed value for the random number generator is provided along with the list of commands then that ought to be sufficient to replay a game.  Depending on how saved games are implemented, you might need to include a different seed value for the start of each level.

Monster movement, dodging, level generation, item drops, etc... can all be replicated exactly with the correct seed (and assuming player commands are issued exactly as before).
That is assuming that the order of execution and the calls to the RNG are in the same order in the recorded stream and the playback version of the program.  I think short of calling a code freeze, we cannot really guarantee that such a saved replay can even play on future releases of DoomRL.

That said, if this were engineered in DoomRL 2 before any lines of code are written, I can see how this can be very successful.
I computed, therefore I was.
Pages: [1]