Chaosforge Forum

• May 05, 2024, 12:20
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Any update on Windows 7/Vista compatibility?  (Read 5822 times)

Stabwound

• Private FC
    • View Profile
Any update on Windows 7/Vista compatibility?
« on: August 22, 2010, 21:33 »

Many moons ago I posted a thread here talking about how it's not possible to play in fullscreen mode with Windows 7 unless you do some trickery involving force installing XP drivers, which really isn't a great solution.

Has there been any new methods of getting full screen yet? I tried playing in "XP Mode" but it wouldn't go into fullscreen, either. Presumably because you can't use anything but the generic video drivers.

I remember talk about an SDL version that would fix these issues. I guess that didn't turn out? :P

It's a shame, because I bought a 24 inch widescreen monitor and DoomRL isn't playable anymore since the play window is such a small box in the middle of the massive screen. I need to break out a magnifying glass to play it.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 21:34 by Stabwound »

rchandra

• Elder
  • Major
    • View Profile
Re: Any update on Windows 7/Vista compatibility?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 22:26 »

I believe you can use this program:
http://www.roguetemple.com/z/noteye.php

I was poking at it to try out first-person mode (interesting but not practical), but you can just use it as an SDL console too.
0.9.9.1-4: Arch-Vile Br. General [25/25/17/5/1]
0.9.9.5-7: Hell Baron Major [ 21 16 12 4 1 0 ]

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 00:09 »

The trick I use to make DoomRL playable with a larger resolution is to change the font. Traditionally, the Command Prompt uses something called Raster Fonts, which doesn't work well for high resolutions. On my current computer, you can change the Font to Lucida Console, which contains font sizes for just about any resolution you can think of.

To change font, right-click on the window bar (the top piece, where the name of the window is displayed) and choose Properties: the rest is self-explained.
I'm just a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude.

Latest LPs: Angband, Delver

Kg

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Celestial Horizon
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 00:53 »

Omg Doom RL with tiles ! I suppose you can make your own tiles and include it to NotEye?
Hm it's ok but along with NotEye normal cmd version runs in the background and it's kinda laggy on my pc.. also enter on keypad doesn't work in numpad mode.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 01:01 by Kg »
Hell Baron 2nd Lieutenant
[22|11|4|0|0]
Latest: Eagerness Bronze

Tavana

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2010, 04:26 »

These compatability options will be addressed in a future release. The only question at the moment is "when will that release be?" The answer: goooood question.
Common words do not mean common understanding. Language is mercurial. Meanings are never constant.

Stabwound

• Private FC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 12:33 »

Hey, thanks for the suggestions. That NotEye program is actually pretty interesting, although it's a bit of a pain to set up properly, and is a bit slow even on my relatively high end computer.

I tried changing the font in a regular console window, but it seems like DoomRL doesn't really like anything except the default font, because things end up looking wacky, especially the floor (circle) tiles.

I'm going to keep playing around with stuff, I'm not really sure what the best solution is yet.

rchandra

• Elder
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2010, 03:46 »

the same author has a simpler program called cons2tcod, it might be faster.

http://www.roguetemple.com/z/

myself, rather than fullscreen for some games I just increase the font size in the console (and increase the console size appropriately), but I'm in XP.
0.9.9.1-4: Arch-Vile Br. General [25/25/17/5/1]
0.9.9.5-7: Hell Baron Major [ 21 16 12 4 1 0 ]
Pages: [1]