Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Videos  (Read 4634 times)

ekiM

• Private FC
  • Arch-Vile Lieutenant General [19/19/14/8/4]
    • View Profile
Videos
« on: August 30, 2010, 13:06 »

Hey, just made this to show someone else thought I might as well post it. Nothing too exciting, L1 on N! without taking damage using giftdropping and shooting from out of LOS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aw2yeU-t-cU

Might make some others at some point maybe.

Anyone else got any interesting videos?
[19/19/14/8/4] Arch-Vile Lieutenant General

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike
Re: Videos
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 13:53 »

Honestly, that's a great instructional video, albeit without explicit instructions, on how to successfully avoid taking damage in typical situations. The only thing I'd have done differently (well, besides not used giftdropping because I STILL never remember to) is that the [normal] shotgun easy an easier time corner-shooting from above rather than below. It's a consequence of the current burst-fire logistics of the weapon itself (combat, for instance, is fine either way) and is something to learn purely by experience. (Incidentally, I have a short section of my guide dedicated to which corners will and won't work. It needs the full compilation of 'em, but I do consider it important enough to include.)

What program do you use for the videos? I may try to make some in the near future, hopefully as useful as the one you show here.
I'm just a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude.

Latest LPs: Angband, Delver

ParaSait

• Baffen :P
  • Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Happy Little Boozer
    • View Profile
    • MPSF
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 15:30 »

Hmm... a topic like this already exists but it's locked for some reason (http://forum.chaosforge.org/index.php/topic,1222.0.html)
[18|7|3|0|0|0] [MED:13/43] [SPE:36/67] [ASM:11/40]

Check out my epic youtube channel!
Currently playing The Bard's Tale and System Shock 2 (coop with GrAV1t)!

ekiM

• Private FC
  • Arch-Vile Lieutenant General [19/19/14/8/4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 15:46 »

I think you can add on screen stuff to a video with youtube but I don't know how.

I tried CamStudio but I couldn't get it to work with my sound card. BB Flashback express worked: http://www.bbsoftware.co.uk/BBFlashBack_FreePlayer.aspx

I still don't really understand all the different shotgun firing patterns, mostly trial and error. What weapons does it matter which direction you come from?

I saw the other thread but couldn't post there, so maybe this can be similar thing if some people have videos to share.

Edit: added some annotations to the video
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 16:06 by ekiM »
[19/19/14/8/4] Arch-Vile Lieutenant General

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 16:14 »

Hmm... a topic like this already exists but it's locked for some reason (http://forum.chaosforge.org/index.php/topic,1222.0.html)
1) It's not a stickied thread.
2) It's 16 months old.

Other than that, however, I would vote to sticky it somewhere, maybe even in the Post Mortem forum.

I think you can add on screen stuff to a video with youtube but I don't know how.

I tried CamStudio but I couldn't get it to work with my sound card. BB Flashback express worked: http://www.bbsoftware.co.uk/BBFlashBack_FreePlayer.aspx
I'll be sure to look at both of those options, thanks.

I still don't really understand all the different shotgun firing patterns, mostly trial and error. What weapons does it matter which direction you come from?
Weapons that can have firing issues due to corners and the like (not including misfires, mind you) are those that have an inherent inaccuracy in the weapon itself. Typically, this is found in the shotgun, combat shotgun, double shotgun, and all exotic/unique variants. BFG 10K also falls under this category, as it is inaccurate as all hell.

Whether or not you can fire directly along a corner depends on the direction of the corner and the direction you want to fire. Like so:
@###### <--- will work with shotgun
......X

......X <--- will not work with shotgun
@######

B#
.# <--- will not work with combat shotgun
.@
That last one really, really sucks, by the way. The combat shotgun is the best example of what will and won't work: the shotgun has roughly the same corner problems, except that even good corners have a decreased range shooting down them; the double shotgun is kind of an anomaly due to its really huge burst range, but it's about the same anyway (and not much damage range to boot).

There are some awkward shots you can pull off, however, that give you an advantage over most enemies:
.....B
..X... <--- won't hit with combat shotgun
..####
@.####

.....B
...X.. <--- will hit with combat shotgun
..####
@.####
(Note: I don't know if this will EXACTLY work, but I do know it's the right direction/corner.) So it's kind of like an advanced corner-shot, if you will, that strikes the enemy without retaliation. Also, with the range of the combat, the enemy could be several tiles beyond the position in the picture and still take damage, so you have a lot of time luring it out properly.

As a rule of thumb, your ideal shots are shooting from above or from the left, and your worst shots are shooting from below or from the right.

ParaSait

• Baffen :P
  • Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Happy Little Boozer
    • View Profile
    • MPSF
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 05:12 »

Shush, don't teach people strategies that are nearly outdated (I heard that kk is gonna improve the aim system)! :D
[18|7|3|0|0|0] [MED:13/43] [SPE:36/67] [ASM:11/40]

Check out my epic youtube channel!
Currently playing The Bard's Tale and System Shock 2 (coop with GrAV1t)!

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2010, 06:19 »

Actually, I heard more.  Someone already fixed the aim/LOS system and is pending incorporation into the code base.

I believe also that the AI might be improved to reduce the use of "gift-dropping".

Hmm...
I computed, therefore I was.

Gargulec

• High Priest of the Forge
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
  • Believe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2010, 07:41 »

No more nerfs to giftdropping, full stop.
And greater honour is well due to them
when they foresee (and many of them foresee)
that in the end Ephialtes will appear,
that after all the Persian shall break through.

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2010, 11:12 »

I believe also that the AI might be improved to reduce the use of "gift-dropping".
No more nerfs to giftdropping, full stop.
I'm hoping that thelaptop's statement is phrased to mean "the AI was improved in such a way that gift-dropping will become superfluous" rather than "the AI has been improved not to be lured into gift-dropping attempts". As a player who hasn't really exploited the strategy often, I can say that the AI could use some tweaking so that...oh, I don't know...Barons won't precisely follow you from the other side of a wall. Sometimes it's annoying, yes, but most of the time it's entirely predictable and, by itself, quite exploitable.

Personally, I'd like to see certain aggressive enemies (Demons, HKs/Barons, Revenants) actively try to enter LOS by whatever means. Right now the typical pathing indicates that they instead try to match up with your row, then column. For visible proof, note that HKs and Barons always wait for you to move from cover for left/right doors, but will come into contact with you for up/down doors.

Actually, I heard more.  Someone already fixed the aim/LOS system and is pending incorporation into the code base.
Glad to hear it. Though, that doesn't mean it'll be flawless and obvious, so I should still have something to write about. :P

UltimateChaos

• Elder
  • Sergeant
  • Arch-Vile Mjr. General
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2010, 01:30 »

A lot of gaming video walkthroughs and such I've seen all use Hypercam
[22/22/19/7/3]
Just completed Strongman Gold ^_^
Pages: [1]