Chaosforge Forum

• May 08, 2024, 06:05
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: [M|AoPc|9%|YAVP]  (Read 3113 times)

Saturn

• Private
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
[M|AoPc|9%|YAVP]
« on: November 05, 2010, 22:59 »

--------------------------------------------------------------
 DoomRL (v.0.9.9.1) roguelike post-mortem character dump

Saturn, level 10 Imp Sergeant Major, sacrificed himself to kill the Cyberdemon
 on level 25 of the Phobos base.
 He survived 20370 turns and scored 37480 points.
 He played for 45 minutes and 13 seconds.
 He didn't like it too rough.

He killed 42 out of 458 hellspawn. (9%)
 My, was he a wimpy chump.
 He was an Angel of Pacifism!

-- Awards ----------------------------------------------------

Minor Icarus Cross
  Pacifism Gold Badge

-- Graveyard -------------------------------------------------

###########################################################
  ..............................X............................
  ................................................>..........
  ###########################################################

-- Statistics ------------------------------------------------

Health -5940/80   Experience 1728/10
  ToHit Ranged +0  ToHit Melee +0  ToDmg Ranged +0  ToDmg Melee +0

-- Traits ----------------------------------------------------

Ironman          (Level 3)
    Hellrunner       (Level 2)
    Tough as nails   (Level 3)
    Dodgemaster      (Level 1)
    Badass           (Level 1)

HR->HR->DM->TaN->TaN->Bad->Iro->Iro->Iro->TaN->

-- Equipment -------------------------------------------------

[a] [ Armor      ]   modified green armor [1/1] (40%) (A)
    [b] [ Weapon     ]   nothing
    [c] [ Boots      ]   protective boots [2/2] (100%)
    [d] [ Prepared   ]   nothing

-- Inventory -------------------------------------------------

[a] green armor [1/1] (31%)
    [b] green armor [1/1] (23%)
    [c] green armor [1/1] (3%)
    [d] green armor [1/1] (57%)
    [e] green armor [1/1] (38%)
    [f] green armor [1/1] (100%)
    [g] modified blue armor [1/2] (38%) (B)
    [h] blue armor [1/2] (35%)
    [i] blue armor [2/2] (100%)
    [j] red armor [2/4] (30%)
    [k] large med-pack
    [l] steel boots [1/1] (32%)

-- Kills -----------------------------------------------------

10 former humans
    8 former sergeants
    1 former captain
    16 imps
    5 lost souls
    1 Cyberdemon
    1 former commando

-- History ---------------------------------------------------

On level 4 he stormed the Chained Court.
  On level 9 he witnessed the Wall.
  Not knowing what to do, he left.
  On level 15 he encoutered the Phobos Hellgate.
  On level 16 he invaded the Unholy Cathedral!
  He fled the Unholy Cathedral seeing no chance to win.
  On level 19 he entered the Vaults.
  He came, he saw, but he left.
  On level 23 he entered the Lava Pits.
  He decided it was too hot there.
  Then at last he found Phobos Arena!
  He nuked level 25!
  On level 25 he finally sacrificed himself to kill the Cyberdemon.

-- Messages --------------------------------------------------

The Cyberdemon reloads his rocket launcher.
 Are you sure you want activate the thermonuclear bomb? [Y/n] You use a
 thermonuclear bomb. Warning! Explosion in 10 seconds! Warning!
 Explosion in 9 seconds!
 Warning! Explosion in 8 seconds!
 Warning! Explosion in 7 seconds!
 Warning! Explosion in 6 seconds!
 Warning! Explosion in 5 seconds!
 Warning! Explosion in 4 seconds!
 Warning! Explosion in 3 seconds!
 Warning! Explosion in 2 seconds!
 Warning! Explosion in 1 seconds!
 You hear an explosion! You hear an explosion! You hear an explosion! You
 hear an explosion! You hear an explosion! You hear an explosion!
 You feel relatively safe now. Congratulations! You defeated the

-- General ---------------------------------------------------

Before him 74 brave souls have ventured into Phobos:
 63 of those were killed.
 2 of those were killed by something unknown.
 2 didn't read the thermonuclear bomb manual.
 And 2 couldn't handle the stress and committed a stupid suicide.

Some rumours though, say that the Cyberdemon was killed already!
 Is he immortal? 5 souls claim to have killed him...
 4 killed the bastard and survived.
 1 showed that it can outsmart hell itself.

I'm still pretty new to DoomRL, but not to roguelikes.  Having completed a few standard games and one AoMr, I decided to try AoPc just for kicks.  I didn't expect to actually win, or even get anywhere near the cyberdemon... but whaddaya know!  Turns out that pacifist runs are winnable!

The early game, for the most part, was entirely a crapshoot.  I had about 20 or 30 potential pacifist runs prematurely aborted because I spawned into a room surrounded by a lost souls, or the downstairs was located in the middle of a big empty room next to several sergeants, or something along that line.  Apparently I have done something to make the Random Number God very displeased.

Once I got to the chained court, I had berserker mode for a while, and relied on that as well as on a few other lucky powerup spawns (found a couple of supercharges here and there, and a couple of invulnerability globes on level 24, which were incredibly helpful).  The hellgate was a bit of a scary proposition, and in retrospect it might not have been the smartest move to run right between the bruiser brothers.  Oh well.  I survived, but my red armor did not.  Who needs armor, anyway?

I ran into a hairy situation in a spider cave where I was running low on medkits (i.e. I had none), but the run was fortunately saved by a homing phase device that spawned 2 or 3 squares away from my start location.  I grabbed it, and activated it, but noticed that the stairs to the Lava Pits was located only a few squares away from the normal downstairs, so I descended that one instead, saving me from having to work my way through another level.  Once you get your levels of HR, DM, TaN, BA, and Ironman, it seems like there just isn't a lot that can threaten you.  There was one room whereupon entering I immediately spied mancubi and an arch-vile and other scary things.  I quietly backed out and closed the door behind me, and was able to find an alternate route to the stairs that skipped that whole pack.  I also ran into a big pack of barons and hell knights, and danced around in front of them, avoiding projectiles while allowing the ones in the back to kill the ones in front, simply because it amused me to make them kill each other.  You could say I was a sadistic pacifist, if that isn't an oxymoron.

I was giving my friend the play-by-play as I went through this game, and since I had found invulnerability globes on level 24, my friend commented, "maybe you'll be able to get a full win out of this!"  I responded that that would be impossible since I had only one nuke, but I was very curious to see what would happen if I died to JC in an AoPc game.  Would the game still give me credit for the win?  I'll never know, since my invulnerability wore off before I got to 25.  Or maybe there is no HF in a pacifist run.

Once I did get to the cyberdemon, I was so pleased at having won the game that I ran all around the arena, dodging his rockets and dancing around him and proudly proclaiming that I am indeed the better man.  I think I actually made him run out of rockets, because after a while he just started chasing me.  I probably could've gotten the Compet-N silver cross if I hadn't wasted so much time, but oh well, a man's gotta have his fun!  Once I was satisfied, I let off the nuke and claimed my victory.

Overall, this was a fun and intense game.  It certainly requires a different type of strategy from the usual game, but once you're able to get some of the better traits in place, it's not especially difficult to survive.  I found myself fearing barrels and lava more than enemies.  Nevertheless, I don't think I'll be doing another pacifist run anytime soon.  It's just too dependent upon goodwill from the RNG for my tastes.

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Local Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike
Re: [M|AoPc|9%|YAVP]
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2010, 00:48 »

Turns out that pacifist runs are winnable!
Weaponless challenge isn't as hard as you may have initially believed. A lot of help comes from the leveling in spite of not killing anything, which gets your ever-important Irox3, HRx2/DM, and TaNx3 (with Badass mixed in early to make knockback that much less of a problem). As long as you aren't running into large crowds of enemies, or get stuck with narrow passageways leading to stairs, the RNG is pretty flexible. Of course, early packs of Sergeants (near stairs) or Lost Souls (near anything) usually call for a restart.

I was giving my friend the play-by-play as I went through this game, and since I had found invulnerability globes on level 24, my friend commented, "maybe you'll be able to get a full win out of this!"  I responded that that would be impossible since I had only one nuke, but I was very curious to see what would happen if I died to JC in an AoPc game.  Would the game still give me credit for the win?  I'll never know, since my invulnerability wore off before I got to 25.  Or maybe there is no HF in a pacifist run.
Actually, what you suggest is a well-known bug that has cost many players their badges. You end up nuking Cybie, entering the Hell Fortress and can't do crap against JC, so you die: unfortunately, this doesn't count as a victory as far as the badge is concerned. I DO believe you'll get a victory (partial or standard, can't remember) but no Pacifism Gold.

... noticed that the stairs to the Lava Pits was located only a few squares away from the normal downstairs, so I descended that one instead, saving me from having to work my way through another level.
Special levels do not exempt you from the 25 obligatory floors needed to complete the game. They're "extra" stages, though I prefer it that way as a means of reliable bonus experience.

Overall, this was a fun and intense game.  It certainly requires a different type of strategy from the usual game, but once you're able to get some of the better traits in place, it's not especially difficult to survive.  I found myself fearing barrels and lava more than enemies.  Nevertheless, I don't think I'll be doing another pacifist run anytime soon.  It's just too dependent upon goodwill from the RNG for my tastes.
These days I don't bother with an AoPc unless I'm going to speedrun it, considering I already have the badge series completed. However, it is a great exercise in tactical defense (or more simply, dodging and running away) as well as learning how to effectively keep away from barrels in just about any situation. AoPc N! isn't a huge step up (indeed, it's easier than a standard N! run) and is also a great way to acclimate yourself to the increased speed of enemies.
I'm just a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude.

Latest LPs: Angband, Delver

Saturn

• Private
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2010, 01:45 »

As long as you aren't running into large crowds of enemies, or get stuck with narrow passageways leading to stairs, the RNG is pretty flexible. Of course, early packs of Sergeants (near stairs) or Lost Souls (near anything) usually call for a restart.

Even on standard games, the Sergeants ability to deal perfect-accuracy damage with a long range, wide spread, and knockback comes across as mildly abusive, giving the player the feeling that he's simply been blasted from some random corner of darkness.  In a pacifist game, the mere existence of them is just cruel.  I think they could easily be replaced by imps or some other low level enemy and it would make the pacifist challenge much less reliant on luck.  Lost souls being just as much a problem due to their insane speed.

One thing I noticed (or at least thought I noticed) was that in some of the runs where I spawned in a room with enemies, I didn't seem to get the usual four turn window in which to run away before my enemies started shooting at me - they all seemed to activate immediately.  I might've just imagined it, though.

Just now, I started up a new pacifist game to see what cruelty the RNG would throw at me.  It did not disappoint:

smell of a massacre...                                                         
 You open the door.                                                             

==#                     
                                                      #===#                     
                                                      #===#                     
                                                      #===#                     
                                                      #===#                     
                                                      #===#                     
                                                      #===#                     
                                                      #===#                     
                                                      #===#                     
                                                      ###/#                     
                                                      #.@.#                     
                                                      #...#                     
                                                      #####                     
 Saturn                     Armor : blue armor [2/2] (100%)                     
 Health: 100% Exp:  1/0%    Weapon: none                                       
 cautious                                                    Phobos Base  Lev1 

Yeah, that's all acid.

Actually, what you suggest is a well-known bug that has cost many players their badges. You end up nuking Cybie, entering the Hell Fortress and can't do crap against JC, so you die: unfortunately, this doesn't count as a victory as far as the badge is concerned. I DO believe you'll get a victory (partial or standard, can't remember) but no Pacifism Gold.

That's too bad.  IIt'd be neat if there was something special awaiting pacifist players in the HF for those who made it there.  Something special meaning not death, obviously.

Special levels do not exempt you from the 25 obligatory floors needed to complete the game. They're "extra" stages, though I prefer it that way as a means of reliable bonus experience.

Hmm, I suppose I misunderstood the way special levels work.  I thought it counted towards the 25.  Thanks for setting me straight.

AoPc N! isn't a huge step up (indeed, it's easier than a standard N! run) and is also a great way to acclimate yourself to the increased speed of enemies.

Not a huge step up?  Aren't there a zillion more enemies on N!?  I'm afraid of even attempting AoPc, or a standard game, on N!.  I'm to the point where I can consistently win any standard game on HNTR, but when I attempted UV, the game made minced meat of me.  I didn't get past level three.

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2010, 02:41 »

AoPc on N! is highly doable.  Now, AoPc on N! without HR... that's a Diamond badge waiting to be claimed.
I computed, therefore I was.

AStranger

• First Lieutenant
  • Cyberdemon Blade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2010, 12:56 »

I DO believe you'll get a victory (partial or standard, can't remember) but no Pacifism Gold.
Luckily N! AoPc happens to be a specialty of mine. Here's the run down:

Nuking Cybbie counts for a partial win, badges are obtainable, example: http://forum.chaosforge.org/index.php/topic,2914.0.html
Nuking Cybbie then dying to JC counts as a standard win, badges are not obtainable, example: http://forum.chaosforge.org/index.php/topic,2912.0.html
Nuking Cybbie, then nuking JC counts as a full win, badges are not obtainable, example: http://forum.chaosforge.org/index.php/topic,3441.0.html

Even on standard games, the Sergeants ability to deal perfect-accuracy damage with a long range, wide spread, and knockback comes across as mildly abusive, giving the player the feeling that he's simply been blasted from some random corner of darkness.  ...
Not a huge step up?  Aren't there a zillion more enemies on N!?  I'm afraid of even attempting AoPc, or a standard game, on N!. ...
Sergeants are definitely a problem in N! AoPc, but the increased enemy count actually can help with this problem. The main idea is to position yourself in ways that requires sergeants to shoot through other enemies, thus reducing the amount of damage that gets through. Also planning on and working with knockback is important, it's going to happen so you might as well work with it. Imps are a fair amount worse in N! though, the increased accuracy means a pack of three or four in an open area can spell death.

Overall N! AoPc is a good exercise in taking the minimal amount of moves possible to complete a level. Mastering it also helps you get used to how much damage you'll suffer in certain situations, which really helps for playing N! in general.
[24|23|20|18|13] v.0.9.9.3
[17|10|8|5|2] v.0.9.9.2
[15|11|10|6|3] v.0.9.9.1
[18|17|14|10|6] v.0.9.9

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Local Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2010, 14:01 »

Luckily N! AoPc happens to be a specialty of mine. Here's the run down:

Nuking Cybbie counts for a partial win, badges are obtainable, example: http://forum.chaosforge.org/index.php/topic,2914.0.html
Nuking Cybbie then dying to JC counts as a standard win, badges are not obtainable, example: http://forum.chaosforge.org/index.php/topic,2912.0.html
Nuking Cybbie, then nuking JC counts as a full win, badges are not obtainable, example: http://forum.chaosforge.org/index.php/topic,3441.0.html
I'm pretty sure the game doesn't count the victory you earned on the same run in the mortem. This post, however, strongly supports the second claim, so we can certainly take it to be the case.

Sergeants are definitely a problem in N! AoPc, but the increased enemy count actually can help with this problem. The main idea is to position yourself in ways that requires sergeants to shoot through other enemies, thus reducing the amount of damage that gets through.
This really should be how shotguns work, but the current attack seems to hit everything with the same, drop-off rate-reduced damage. (That's the only way I can explain killing groups of 10+ formers/imps in three shots.) I don't know how complicated it would be to turn the shotgun into a seven spreadshot (it was seven in the original, anyway) that accounted for each projectile individually. This would remove the drop-off rate but would require some careful balancing such that it can still do roughly what it does now.

But that's something for the discussion thread, I suppose.
I'm just a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude.

Latest LPs: Angband, Delver
Pages: [1]