Chaosforge Forum

• April 28, 2024, 08:33
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: [N!|44%|YAVP] Forget style, just get the job done!  (Read 1786 times)

ScouSin

• Elder
  • Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
[N!|44%|YAVP] Forget style, just get the job done!
« on: November 19, 2010, 20:37 »

--------------------------------------------------------------
 DoomRL (v.0.9.9.1) roguelike post-mortem character dump

ScouSin, level 8 Hell Baron Captain, sacrificed himself to kill the Cyberdemon
 on level 25 of the Phobos base.
 He survived 30487 turns and scored 279548 points.
 He played for 51 minutes and 10 seconds.
 He opposed the Nightmare!

He killed 433 out of 981 hellspawn. (44%)

-- Awards ----------------------------------------------------

UAC Star (bronze cluster)
  Minor Icarus Cross
  UAC Platinum Badge

-- Graveyard -------------------------------------------------

###########################################################
  #..........................................................
  #..........X...............................................
  #............................>.............................
  ###########################################################

-- Statistics ------------------------------------------------

Health -5962/55   Experience 27874/8
  ToHit Ranged +0  ToHit Melee +0  ToDmg Ranged +0  ToDmg Melee +0

-- Traits ----------------------------------------------------

Ironman          (Level 1)
    Hellrunner       (Level 2)
    Reloader         (Level 2)
    Dodgemaster      (Level 1)
    Shottyman        (Level 1)
    Fireangel        (Level 1)

HR->HR->DM->Rel->Rel->SM->MFa->Iro->

-- Equipment -------------------------------------------------

[a] [ Armor      ]   nothing
    [b] [ Weapon     ]   Trigun (3d6) [6/6]
    [c] [ Boots      ]   modified steel boots [1/1] (96%) (A)
    [d] [ Prepared   ]   rocket launcher (6d6) [1/1]

-- Inventory -------------------------------------------------

[a] modified combat shotgun (7d3) [2/5] (T1)
    [b] modified plasma rifle (1d7)x8 [0/40] (S1)
    [c] blaster (2d4) [20/20]
    [d] shotgun shell (x39)
    [e] shotgun shell (x50)
    [f] rocket (x9)
    [g] rocket (x10)
    [h] rocket (x10)
    [i] large med-pack
    [j] large med-pack
    [k] large med-pack
    [l] large med-pack
    [m] agility mod pack

-- Kills -----------------------------------------------------

66 former humans
    50 former sergeants
    15 former captains
    114 imps
    30 demons
    100 lost souls
    11 cacodemons
    6 barons of hell
    1 Cyberdemon
    7 hell knights
    3 arachnotrons
    2 former commandos
    5 pain elementals
    4 arch-viles
    2 mancubi
    3 revenants
    5 nightmare imps
    1 nightmare cacodemon
    8 nightmare demons

-- History ---------------------------------------------------

He started his journey on the surface of Phobos.
  On level 6 he stormed the Chained Court.
  On level 12 he found the Grammaton Cleric Beretta!
  On level 12 he ventured into the Halls of Carnage.
  On level 15 he encoutered the Phobos Hellgate.
  On level 18 he entered the Vaults.
  He came, he saw, but he left.
  On level 19 he found the Nano Pack!
  On level 20 he found the Trigun!
  On level 23 he entered the Lava Pits.
  He decided it was too hot there.
  Then at last he found Phobos Arena!
  On level 25 he finally sacrificed himself to kill the Cyberdemon.

-- Messages --------------------------------------------------

You pump a shell into the combat shotgun chamber. The Cyberdemon hits you.
 Your red armor is completely destroyed!
 Fire -- Choose target... 
 You use a large med-pack. You feel fully healed. The Cyberdemon hits you.
 Fire -- Choose target...   The Cyberdemon hits you.
 You pump a shell into the combat shotgun chamber.
 You use a large med-pack. You feel fully healed. The Cyberdemon hits you.
 Fire -- Choose target...   The Cyberdemon hits you.
 You pump a shell into the combat shotgun chamber.
 Fire -- Choose target... 
 You use a large med-pack. You feel fully healed. The Cyberdemon misses you.
 You wear/wield : a Trigun (3d6) [6/6] The Cyberdemon hits you.
 Do you want to use the dangerous Angel Arm?? [y/n] You activate the Angel
 Arm! Your life is drained! You hear an explosion! You hear an
 explosion! You hear an explosion! You hear an explosion! You hear an

-- General ---------------------------------------------------

Before him 485 brave souls have ventured into Phobos:
 429 of those were killed.
 2 of those were killed by something unknown.
 9 didn't read the thermonuclear bomb manual.
 And 29 couldn't handle the stress and committed a stupid suicide.

Some rumours though, say that the Cyberdemon was killed already!
 Is he immortal? 16 souls claim to have killed him...
 1 sacrificed itself for the good of mankind.
 12 killed the bastard and survived.
 3 showed that it can outsmart hell itself.

First time I completed Nightmare...I was stubborn (Game Hunter can vouch for this), as I only beat UV once before this, on standard.  My main motivation was that I hate doing challenges like AoSg or AoMr, and not getting to enjoy all the cool gadgets I will inevitably find.  Well in this run, I got more than a person and a half's worth of cool stuff.

Highlights:

-This run started out strong, as I was getting berserk packs early and strong.  I even cleared out a floor once.  Per Game Hunter's recommendation, I realyl tried to kill things, even after finding the stairs.
-Supercharge going into Chained Court, so I got in, got my berserking, and got out.
-Found the sniper pack.  This was before I found the Beretta, so I threw it on a plasma rifle.  This was a risky move, as I lacked cells, and I knew they wouldn't come easy later either.  Still, the few times I plan to use the plasma rifle, I must (MUST) be ready to utterly annihilate what is in front of me.
-Why yes, I found the beretta.  Unfortunately, it was mildly useless the entire run.  Ah well.
-The Halls of Carnage was MUCH easier than I could have ever imagined (yes, this was my first time in it).
-I got MFa right before Hellgate, my ultimate goal.  I was a fool and didn't take a berserk pack when I could on level 14...but RNG took pity and threw one at me elsewhere on the floor...by the stairs.
-As you might have guessed, my first Hellgate was this run.  I lacked cells hardcore, even as I bulk modded my BFG.  Well still, I was berserk, and decked out in healing (among other things).  I cleared out most of the nightmare baddies, and as my berserk ran low, I got to the safe room on the left.  The nightmare creeps were just so fierce, so I restocked, and left the room to face the last couple nightmare cacos and imps to find...nothing?  Well they were further right, and through some fancy footwork, I got them to kill each-other, and dodged my way right by.  The bruisers were ready to kill, but I didn't feel like playing, so I ran right on through.
-I found a blaster a little later.  Kinda useless, but a nice feather in my cap.  I never once equipped it.
-Found a Megasphere...don't care who you are, you smile when you pick one up.
-The enemies were really fierce all-around.  At one point I "convinced" a commando into killing a baron.  Mmm, it felt good.
-Nano pack!  Yes yes yes!  I'll throw it on my BFG...oh wait, bulk mod.  Okay, then on my plasma...oh, sniper pack.  Well, I gave myself permanent red armor instead.
-At about level 20, I started to question if I should REALLY still be using my combat shotgun.
-I then saw the Trigun in a hall, between two hell knights in a city level.  My instant thought was; "Freebie against Cybie?  Yes pl0x."  When I got it, I was extremely relieved.
-The rest of the run was really, REALLY easy.  I was literally running around, immune to revenants, arch-viles, mancubi, and pretty much everything under the sun that I once feared (ironic, as I never used to fear plasma enemies, but they are the biggest problem when you have MFa.)  I can't imagine ever attempting this without MFa, as I ate a muiltitude of flames and homing rockets.
-I had invulnerability when I got to the Phobos Arena.  My first thought was; "Sweet, Trigun and..." then I immediately stopped myself, I almost did a horrible, HORRIBLE thing (note: The first time I discovered YOU KNOW WHAT, was in an AoMr run where I threw the nuke down.  I failed to get it counted as a win as a result).  So, I run up to Cybie (invulnerable AND berserk), and waddya know, he spawned OBSCENELY close to me, by a pillar.  So I pull out my plasma rifle, unload into him at point blank and...the sniper pack isn't working.  I was so upset, I felt robbed, utterly robbed.  Four whole magazines of plasma later, he isn't even half-dead it seems.  Okay, so I pull out my combat shotgun (yes, this felt like a stupid decision at the time too), and I start blasting away.  Naturally I ignored my rockets, in an effort to abandon all common sense.  My invulnerability and berserk wore off, I ate up like three full med kits, and I knew I wasn't going to win like this.  Instead of being logical and abusing my dodgemaster and MFa as I should, I threw down the Trigun.  Fuck the Cyberdemon, even if I'm stupid, I will STILL win.

Mmm, dare I say you can call me a Major?  I guess now I can relax, and go back to clean up UV a little.

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Local Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike
Re: [N!|44%|YAVP] Forget style, just get the job done!
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010, 13:01 »

My main motivation was that I hate doing challenges like AoSg or AoMr, and not getting to enjoy all the cool gadgets I will inevitably find.
Which is hilarious in the context of THIS run, because all those weapons are practically a Marksman's dream. Trigun's always, always good though. I'm almost surprised you kept up MFa, seeing as how it blocks SoG, but the splash-free zone is probably better if you're just trying to win.

Found the sniper pack.  This was before I found the Beretta, so I threw it on a plasma rifle.  This was a risky move, as I lacked cells, and I knew they wouldn't come easy later either.  Still, the few times I plan to use the plasma rifle, I must (MUST) be ready to utterly annihilate what is in front of me.
Beretta wouldn't have taken the sniper pack, or any mod for that matter: nearly all uniques are unmoddable, and Grammaton is no exception. Blaster would have (of all the weapons you had) been the best choice, even without SoG bonuses, but plasma rifle is definitely a close second. Of course, this all assumes sniper pack isn't bugged and doesn't work like firestorm right now.

The Halls of Carnage was MUCH easier than I could have ever imagined (yes, this was my first time in it).
Halls of Carnage is always worth going in. Always. Like most special levels, there is very little (or no) difference in the actual content of them, meaning they're as hard as UV but with potential spawning and some speed. For Halls of Carnage, this is almost insignificant (and an even more ridiculous depot of shells).

As you might have guessed, my first Hellgate was this run.  I lacked cells hardcore, even as I bulk modded my BFG.  Well still, I was berserk, and decked out in healing (among other things).  I cleared out most of the nightmare baddies, and as my berserk ran low, I got to the safe room on the left.  The nightmare creeps were just so fierce, so I restocked, and left the room to face the last couple nightmare cacos and imps to find...nothing?  Well they were further right, and through some fancy footwork, I got them to kill each-other, and dodged my way right by.  The bruisers were ready to kill, but I didn't feel like playing, so I ran right on through.
Hellgate is rough: either you have your BFG ready or you find some phases to avoid the first wave entirely. Thankfully, only two Cacos are in vision when you trip the walls open, and the first BFG should kill most of the Imps, allowing you to run for the door relatively unharmed at that point. Alternatively, there's rocket-jumping (risky but, lacking the other items, there is no "kill everything" option short of invincibility and probably Ammochain).

Nano pack!  Yes yes yes!  I'll throw it on my BFG...oh wait, bulk mod.  Okay, then on my plasma...oh, sniper pack.  Well, I gave myself permanent red armor instead
Hard to say what the best option was here. Oh, wait, no it isn't: I would have stuck it on a rocket launcher for, you know, infinite rockets (also less space in the inventory) and no reloading. How is MFa and infinite rockets not the greatest combo ever? You could shoot that thing all day, non-stop, at places you can't even see, probably kill every level several times over. A regenerating red armor is awesome, but I believe that it's still destructible if it hits zero.

I had invulnerability when I got to the Phobos Arena.  My first thought was; "Sweet, Trigun and..." then I immediately stopped myself, I almost did a horrible, HORRIBLE thing (note: The first time I discovered YOU KNOW WHAT, was in an AoMr run where I threw the nuke down.  I failed to get it counted as a win as a result).  So, I run up to Cybie (invulnerable AND berserk), and waddya know, he spawned OBSCENELY close to me, by a pillar.  So I pull out my plasma rifle, unload into him at point blank and...the sniper pack isn't working.  I was so upset, I felt robbed, utterly robbed.  Four whole magazines of plasma later, he isn't even half-dead it seems.  Okay, so I pull out my combat shotgun (yes, this felt like a stupid decision at the time too), and I start blasting away.  Naturally I ignored my rockets, in an effort to abandon all common sense.  My invulnerability and berserk wore off, I ate up like three full med kits, and I knew I wasn't going to win like this.  Instead of being logical and abusing my dodgemaster and MFa as I should, I threw down the Trigun.  Fuck the Cyberdemon, even if I'm stupid, I will STILL win.
Yeah, Cybie has a freakton of health on N! (upwards of 500). He's not an enemy you can take lightly (unlike most other difficulties, go figure) and I like to have both BFGs, a few stacks of cells for good measure, and STILL plenty of ammo for your primary weapon (or rockets, rockets are always nice) ready for this dude. Can't say I've ever fought him properly, though, between my AoPc nuke, my AoMC ROFLrifle, my AoRA knockback-splash bug, and now my non-challenge double-nuke. He is worthy of being an end-boss on N! and you need to actually prepare if you're attempting a standard victory.

I don't know how much time your Invincibility had on it, but given 75 or so actions, you would have had enough time to nuke, head to HF, and nuke again. That's totally what I did in my game (which decided to put the stairs as far away as possible just to help me test, I guess?) and I have a Veteran Diamond to show for it. Perhaps the badge title has some meaning to it after all...

Congrats on the N! win, the Major rank, and on turning this into a Minor Icarus Cross victory, too.
I'm just a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude.

Latest LPs: Angband, Delver
Pages: [1]