Chaosforge Forum

• April 26, 2024, 05:52
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Halt input during animation  (Read 2307 times)

ParaSait

• Baffen :P
  • Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Happy Little Boozer
    • View Profile
    • MPSF
Halt input during animation
« on: January 06, 2011, 10:06 »

Something that is making me fscking pissed at DoomRL sometimes (in fact, just now) is the fact that a player can die in a very unfair way, just because he was holding a certain key, enemies come in sight and attack him, and even though the player has the reflex to release the key during the animation, the game keeps processing the input as if he still is holding it, leaving the player to helplessly watch his character drop health at a high speed, eventually even dying.
This made me rage numerous times before (and lots of other people I think), and I'd greatly appreciate it if it could be make so that the game checks for input after an animation (like it should be), not process the input in some kind of queue or whatever it is.
Thank you.
[18|7|3|0|0|0] [MED:13/43] [SPE:36/67] [ASM:11/40]

Check out my epic youtube channel!
Currently playing The Bard's Tale and System Shock 2 (coop with GrAV1t)!

AStranger

• First Lieutenant
  • Cyberdemon Blade
    • View Profile
Re: Halt input during animation
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 15:10 »

I feel your pain. Even with EmptyConfirm set and running everywhere I still lose characters to the input buffer. The most common situation for me seems to be with the combat shotgun. Everything will be going great, then I'll have to fire at the same spot in the dark a number of times. Move the cursor, reload, move the cursor, reload, move the cursor, oh crap that last reload didn't take because there was tobacco stuck under the 'R' key (it happens more then you think), now I'm walking instead, then I'm dead. Sure I could quit smoking, but that's never going to happen.

So yeah, I'd be happy to see this feature, not during speed runs, but definitely during YAAM U Ao100 runs (without master traits, yes I do this often).
[24|23|20|18|13] v.0.9.9.3
[17|10|8|5|2] v.0.9.9.2
[15|11|10|6|3] v.0.9.9.1
[18|17|14|10|6] v.0.9.9

hananakajima

• Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 21:12 »

Something that is making me fscking pissed at DoomRL sometimes (in fact, just now) is the fact that a player can die in a very unfair way, just because he was holding a certain key, enemies come in sight and attack him, and even though the player has the reflex to release the key during the animation, the game keeps processing the input as if he still is holding it, leaving the player to helplessly watch his character drop health at a high speed, eventually even dying.
This made me rage numerous times before (and lots of other people I think), and I'd greatly appreciate it if it could be make so that the game checks for input after an animation (like it should be), not process the input in some kind of queue or whatever it is.
Thank you.

I SEVERELY second this!!! Alot!!!

grommile

• Elder
  • First Lieutenant
  • mmm beer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 13:13 »

It's a roguelike. Holding down keys kills you. Deal.
0.9.9.7: 22-15-10-0-0 22/43 62/67 (P 349, D 43/67) 36/40 (B19 A12 M5) Arch-Vile CPT

Armorer Platinum and Diamond should be abolished; the Dragonslayer taboo deserves every scrap of mockery it receives.

rchandra

• Elder
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 14:51 »

I feel your pain. Even with EmptyConfirm set and running everywhere I still lose characters to the input buffer. The most common situation for me seems to be with the combat shotgun. Everything will be going great, then I'll have to fire at the same spot in the dark a number of times. Move the cursor, reload, move the cursor, reload, move the cursor, oh crap that last reload didn't take because there was tobacco stuck under the 'R' key (it happens more then you think), now I'm walking instead, then I'm dead. Sure I could quit smoking, but that's never going to happen.

for this situation, perhaps the game should remember where you were last shooting, like it does if you aim at empty space that is within sight.

also, you can get one of those fancy keyboards (keypads?) that doesn't have a space under the keys :)
0.9.9.1-4: Arch-Vile Br. General [25/25/17/5/1]
0.9.9.5-7: Hell Baron Major [ 21 16 12 4 1 0 ]
Pages: [1]