Chaosforge Forum

• April 27, 2024, 22:31
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Light amp visor  (Read 6015 times)

Midnight

• Badge Hunter
  • Elder
  • Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
Light amp visor
« on: February 27, 2011, 02:19 »

A really quick suggestion. I know headgear idea was discussed before, but that conversation came to nothing conclusive, mainly because people did not want an entire inventory slot dedicated to something minor. So my idea is simple - introduce the amp visor either as a powerup (like berserk packs) or as a pickup item, like environment suits.
It would give you a 1+ LOS radius (like Cat Eye does), but for a limited number of turns (the number of turns given should be dictated by balance, of course). This would give a small tactical advantage that the player may use to clear levels more efficiently. Visor's also should probably stop working in Hell (since it's kind of illuminated already).
As for coloration, light or dark gray will do.   

Sambojin

• First Lieutenant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Light amp visor
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 07:47 »

I'm not so sure it should be only related to headgear though (although it would work just as well as that). I'm also a little bit against an item working along the lines of a master-trait (though it's still debatable whether INT2 should be the master trait and cateye the advanced trait).

But still, it's a great idea. Pretty much just different envirosuit-style, limited-time power ups that you could carry. You could extend it to a few different sorts.

1: Enviro suite : No enviromental damage.
2: Sniper scope : +5 accuracy, 2% less drop-off on shotguns.
3 : Long range visor : +1 vision range.
4: Structural analyzer : 1/2 armour effects vs ammo (effectively limited plasma ammo for your weapon).
5: Stim Pack : Movement and fire speed boost (without the berserk vision/armour/melee or run dodging and anti-melee effects).
6: Daemon Spirit Sense : Limited INT2 for a short time.
7: Combat Drugs : Carryable berserk pack, losses 5-10 max-health after use.

Pretty much in that order of rarity too I'd think.  Envirosuits are still somewhat common, with combat drugs and spirit sense right up there with nano mods and uniques in rareness terms.

I wonder if it would get too random or just a nice little boost from time to time. It's not as though there's all that much space left over in our packs as it is and the amount of berserks and invulnerabilities I've wasted over the months due to poor positioning is amazing. As long as it doesn't make it too easy I'd be all for it.

ParaSait

• Baffen :P
  • Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Happy Little Boozer
    • View Profile
    • MPSF
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 08:57 »

Nice idea.
[18|7|3|0|0|0] [MED:13/43] [SPE:36/67] [ASM:11/40]

Check out my epic youtube channel!
Currently playing The Bard's Tale and System Shock 2 (coop with GrAV1t)!

Frankosity

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 08:59 »

Light Amplification Goggles are a powerup in Doom, and I think at least I've suggested they be implemented in the past. It'd be cool if they worked as a use-item like the envirosuit.

The other thing was the Invisibility Artifact...

ParaSait

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Happy Little Boozer
    • View Profile
    • MPSF
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, 10:35 »

The other thing was the Invisibility Artifact...
Which should probably lower the accuracy of the enemies drastically.
Very good ideas. I'd love to see em added.

Tavana

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2011, 16:13 »

Most of these are already planned. And with the partial invisibility comes Spectres...
Common words do not mean common understanding. Language is mercurial. Meanings are never constant.

Sambojin

• First Lieutenant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2011, 17:57 »

I wonder how it will be implemented?

I guess it's just a sight range thing for the goggles(maybe only vs invisible critters), and it could be a reverse of that for the spectres. Negative cateye that's specific to that monster. Seeing daemons from only 5 squares away would be a pretty scary thing, especially if you don't know why your shots aren't killing that vile or mancubus at the edge of the room. Then the remaining spectres swarm you.........

Invisibility is just negative sight radius for the monsters for a short time.

It would also make for some pretty nice special levels. The Spider Lair springs to mind. Lower vision radius by 1-2 for that level, slap in a Master Arachnotron (the spider queen) after the other critters are dead and instantly the level is unique. It feels a little bit too much like just a slightly boosted arachnotron cavern otherwise. Or maybe the deeper in hell you go, the lower your vision becomes. Then no one would complain about cateye as a master trait.

It will be interesting to see how Kornel does decide to do the invisibility thing. It could either be an excellent little addition to the game or a game breaking gimmick. I've got faith that he'll get it pretty much right, first go. He tend to be pretty spot on with these things.

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2011, 17:58 »

Technically, it is partial-invisibility.  So they can still "see" you; they just have a harder time doing so.
I computed, therefore I was.

Sambojin

• First Lieutenant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2011, 18:06 »

Yeah, I guess that's right. But do you think it's just an accuracy nerf for the daemons and maybe dodge bonus thing? Or would knocking off a square or two of sight range for the baddies make it feel a lot stealthier?

With two levels of hellrunner you're already dodging about 50% of stuff when running as it is, it might get a little bit too high with another big boost. But other builds will need about a 20% boost to make them feel stealth-ninjary enough for the bonus to be up there with supercharges and berserk packs.

What are peoples thoughts? And what are some other good ideas for alternative envirosuits (or headgear)?

Deathwind

• Colonel
  • HMP Angel of Patience 0.9.9.4
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2011, 19:45 »

Have headgear equip like boots, if it has a limited duration ability bind it to a key, the 'h' key is currently unused.

This enables helmets that up defense, targeting scopes, HUD units (warning of inbound projectiles to improve dodge chance), or vision enhancing visors (see farther away or only see selective items farther).

Have anything needing power here use power cells, reload from the equip screen, and be toggle-able.

I wouldn't mind a visor that would give me int2 for 1-2 spaces beyond my vision at 2 cells a second if it could be toggled. Heck you could make all of them but the +1 defense helmet exotic to fix the balance issue.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 20:07 by Deathwind »
v.997 [16/5/2/0/0]

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2011, 03:08 »

If it would work like that, it would introduce a helluva lot of micromanagement. The only thing I can come up with as a counter is that you can reload it, but cannot deactivate it after reloading and cannot unload it.
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Midnight

• Badge Hunter
  • Elder
  • Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2011, 06:30 »

It will probably work better as powerup instead of a pickup item. This will keep things simple, not to mention it will bring some variety to powerups (currently only one of them is not a variation on "Makes you harder to kill" theme). 

ParaSait

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Happy Little Boozer
    • View Profile
    • MPSF
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2011, 06:41 »

Most of these are already planned.
:D!

And with the partial invisibility comes Spectres...
D:!

Sambojin

• First Lieutenant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2011, 19:25 »

Running on cells does make sense in the realms of background realism, but only if you think of power cells as batteries. I tend to assume that power cells are more like POWER cells, barely contained ionised plasma, explosives and electricity in a shell. More like a bullet than a battery, explode-y not "plug my phone into when playing DoomRL Mobile Edition" (it's got to happen sometime. I can't wait until the source is released and we can all start hacking/porting it to java or C for our nokias/androids. Either that or Kornel can make a fortune on android market).

The idea of power-up collection is cool but a little limiting for some ideas. Invisibility could easily be like that (and a few others) but I'm still all for the alternative envirosuit idea. 20-30 turns of power-up when you want it, but taking up inventory space to do so.

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2011, 04:54 »

@Sambojin, I can't make a fortune on it, neither actually sell it, because I don't own the Doom IP. :P
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz
Pages: [1] 2  All