Chaosforge Forum

• April 27, 2024, 16:06
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: [M|AoMC|YAAM] Aw HELL yeah!  (Read 3096 times)

StarStorm

• Gold Supporter
  • Supporter
  • Lance Corporal
  • Feline Overlord
    • View Profile
[M|AoMC|YAAM] Aw HELL yeah!
« on: April 03, 2011, 11:03 »

As I have been having an INORDINATE amount of trouble moving on to UV difficulty, I decided to try for a challenge, and figured that my best shot was the Angel of Mass Carnage. I went through several bad attempts. Easily, the most frustrating was getting killed by a commando by accidentally striking the movement key an extra time. The funny part is that I was looking for a plasma rifle.

I sure got it, huh? I should post that mortem. But moving on...

Things achieved:
First challenge success.
First AoMC success.
First challenge JC kill.
First AoMC JC kill.
First challenge 100% game.
First AoMC 100% game.
Second Lieutenant Rank.

--------------------------------------------------------------
 DoomRL (v.0.9.9.2) roguelike post-mortem character dump

StarStorm, level 12 Hell Knight Warrant Officer, nuked the Cyberdemon.
 on level 26 of the Phobos base.
 He survived 90694 turns and scored 129449 points.
 He played for 2 hours and 36 seconds.
 He didn't like it too rough.

He killed 603 out of 603 hellspawn. (100%)
 This ass-kicking marine killed all of them!
 He was an Angel of Max Carnage!

-- Special levels --------------------------------------------

Levels generated : 8
  Levels visited   : 7
  Levels completed : 7

-- Awards ----------------------------------------------------

Medal of Prejudice
  UAC Star (bronze cluster)
  Aurora Medallion
  Grim Reaper's Badge
  Hell Champion Medal
  Destroyer Silver Badge

-- Graveyard -------------------------------------------------

###########################################################
  .............................................|}............
  ..............................X.............||.............
  ###########################################################

-- Statistics ------------------------------------------------

Health 37/70   Experience 63324/12
  ToHit Ranged +12  ToHit Melee +12  ToDmg Ranged +3  ToDmg Melee +3

-- Traits ----------------------------------------------------

Ironman          (Level 2)
    Finesse          (Level 2)
    Son of a bitch   (Level 3)
    Juggler          (Level 1)
    Whizkid          (Level 1)
    Triggerhappy     (Level 2)
    Ammochain        (Level 1)

SoB->SoB->Fin->Fin->TH->WK->MAc->Jug->TH->SoB->Iro->Iro->

-- Equipment -------------------------------------------------

[a] [ Armor      ]   Malek's Armor [3/3] (68%)
    [b] [ Weapon     ]   high power plasma rifle (1d10)x6 [20/20]
    [c] [ Boots      ]   tactical boots [1/1] (100%)
    [d] [ Prepared   ]   modified BFG 9000 (10d8) [169/169] (B2T1)

-- Inventory -------------------------------------------------

[a] combat translocator (0d0) [60/60]
    [b] modified onyx armor [4] (AP)
    [c] Cybernetic Armor [7/7] (100%)
    [d] Angelic Armor [1/7] (18%)
    [e] chainsaw (4d6)
    [f] power cell (x70)
    [g] power cell (x70)
    [h] power cell
    [i] large med-pack
    [j] large med-pack
    [k] large med-pack
    [l] large med-pack
    [m] large med-pack
    [n] envirosuit pack
    [o] power mod pack
    [p] lava element

-- Kills -----------------------------------------------------

103 former humans
    88 former sergeants
    25 former captains
    84 imps
    33 demons
    65 lost souls
    45 cacodemons
    42 barons of hell
    1 Cyberdemon
    38 hell knights
    31 arachnotrons
    1 John Carmack
    9 former commandos
    4 pain elementals
    11 arch-viles
    7 mancubi
    12 revenants
    2 bruiser brothers
    1 lava elemental
    1 Arena Master

-- History ---------------------------------------------------

He started his journey on the surface of Phobos.
  On level 2 he entered Hell's Arena.
  He left the Arena as a champion!
  On level 5 he stormed the Chained Court.
  He defeated the Hell Arena Master!
  On level 5 he assembled a tactical boots!
  On level 5 he found the Arena Master's Staff!
  On level 7 he witnessed the Wall.
  He massacred the evil behind the Wall!
  On level 12 he ventured into the Halls of Carnage.
  On level 15 he encountered the Phobos Hellgate.
  On level 16 he assembled a tactical armor!
  On level 21 he entered the Vaults.
  He cracked the Vaults and cleared them out!
  On level 22 he assembled a high power weapon!
  On level 22 he was foolish enough to enter the Mortuary!
  On level 22 he found the Angelic Armor!
  He managed to clear the Mortuary from evil!
  On level 23 he entered the Lava Pits.
  On level 23 he found the Cybernetic Armor!
  He managed to clear the Lava Pits completely!
  On level 24 he found the Malek's Armor!
  Then at last he found Phobos Arena!
  He defeated the Cyberdemon and found the TRUE EVIL!
  Then finally in hell itself, he killed the final EVIL.

-- Messages --------------------------------------------------

You see : John Carmack (wounded) [m]ore | pool of blood
 The missile hits John Carmack. The missile hits John Carmack. The missile
 hits John Carmack. The missile hits John Carmack. The missile hits
 John Carmack. The missile hits John Carmack. The missile hits John Carmack.
 The missile hits John Carmack.
 Unknown command. Press "?" for help.
 Fire -- Choose target...
 You see : John Carmack (heavily wounded) [m]ore | pool of blood
 The missile hits John Carmack. The missile hits John Carmack. The missile
 hits John Carmack. The missile hits John Carmack. The missile hits
 John Carmack. The missile hits John Carmack. The missile hits John Carmack.
 The missile hits John Carmack. John Carmack fires! You are hit!
 Fire -- Choose target...
 You see : blood
 You hear the scream of a freed soul! You feel relatively safe now.
 Congratulations! You defeated John Carmack! Press <Enter>...

-- General ---------------------------------------------------

Before him 268 brave souls have ventured into Phobos:
 243 of those were killed.
 1 of those was killed by something unknown.
 And 15 couldn't handle the stress and committed a stupid suicide.

Some rumours though, say that the Cyberdemon was killed already!
 Is he immortal? 9 souls claim to have killed him...
 1 sacrificed itself for the good of mankind.
 4 killed the bastard and survived.
 4 showed that it can outsmart hell itself.

So, a few notes on the AoMC experience:

1) Being able to one-shot enemies is incredibly important. I normally go Finesse first, but I found that getting two levels of SoaB (like SoaG, which ended a few runs when I realized I picked the wrong damn trait and I was going for Ammochain). The pistol will oneshot any formers that come up, barring armor. This was very important to my early game. Killing in one shot is better than two fast shots.

2) The plasma rifle, as always, was a beast. I was going for a high powered plasma rifle (power first) which meant I was carting around a bulk mod for the majority of the game. However, I found one slight (if hilarious) problem with said weapon: it now does enough damage to knock back enemies, often out of my line of fire. Funny as hell, but not helpful. I will not use high powered plasma next time, and instead go for tech mods, as the weapon is already powerful enough to kill most enemies outright. I have an EXTREMELY aggressive playstyle, and I HATE being forced to disengage and leave an enemy alone.

3) Proper healing is incredibly important, and I had to be more cautious about my health, which offset the fact that I generally output enough damage to kill most enemies, which only made my aggressive playstyle WORSE. I got low a few times, the one thing that sticks out in my mind was yet ANOTHER Revenant Out Of Nowhere which sent me through two walls and blew up like three napalm barrels. Fortunately, I was close enough to cover to escape, heal, and reengage.

4) At the endgame, I usually go Hellrunner as being able to dodge and move quickly is important to me, especially when engaging/disengaging. Ironman was taken because I figured that with the high chance to be hit, being able to withstand more damage was far more important, and it worked out very well.

5) I had a bit of difficulty with the Mortuary, which I attribute to trying to play defensively. I killed two Arch-Viles, but one of them got a shot in and destroyed the supercharges in the center, so I ran to the left to restock. That allowed the archviles to the right to raise a nasty little army that made me VERY glad I stocked up on cells and modded my BFG. I think I should have went after the archviles right after to stop them from raising corpses. I will keep that in mind next time.

That said, this was an awesome run, and I'm pleasantly surprised to find out that I made Second Lieutenant. This run currently stands as my fourth best, under three HMP successes.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 11:09 by StarStorm »
0.9.9.2: HB 1L. (3-2/6-3/3-1/0/0)

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Local Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike
Re: [M|AoMC|YAAM] Aw HELL yeah!
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 17:36 »

Things achieved:
First challenge success.
First AoMC success.
First challenge JC kill.
First AoMC JC kill.
First challenge 100% game.
First AoMC 100% game.
Second Lieutenant Rank.
Wow, that's...quite a list there. The only thing I find surprising, I guess, is that this is your first challenge win. You need quite a few medals involving challenges in order to unlock AoMC in the first place, I'm not even sure it's possible without at least playing a challenge (up to floor 12 or whatever). Either way, I think this just goes to show how much AoMC stands above the rest in terms of doability.

However, I found one slight (if hilarious) problem with said weapon: it now does enough damage to knock back enemies, often out of my line of fire. Funny as hell, but not helpful. I will not use high powered plasma next time, and instead go for tech mods, as the weapon is already powerful enough to kill most enemies outright. I have an EXTREMELY aggressive playstyle, and I HATE being forced to disengage and leave an enemy alone.
I think it takes 12 damage before you start seeing knockback, meaning that SoB(3) and a power mod on a plasma rifle are still fair game without causing that dreaded every-hit knockback. It really SHOULDN'T be as much of a problem as it is, seeing as how they should simply be knocked back into a tile that the attack was already going, but it doesn't always happen, so then we get the problems that occur. Which is to say, if it worked properly, you could still shoot at the tile you were shooting at and you'd still probably kill the enemy.

4) At the endgame, I usually go Hellrunner as being able to dodge and move quickly is important to me, especially when engaging/disengaging. Ironman was taken because I figured that with the high chance to be hit, being able to withstand more damage was far more important, and it worked out very well.
It depends on what you're protecting yourself against. Revs/Viles are always going to hit, in ANY game, so HR doesn't work there. Dodging, however, is calculated separately from accuracy (so the +12 to-hit is given, and then the chance to miss after) so if you play well you can still avoid a fair amount of normal attacks. Given that Iro/TaN are the blocked traits in Destroyer Diamond, however, it should be safe to say that they're more important in general.

5) I had a bit of difficulty with the Mortuary, which I attribute to trying to play defensively. I killed two Arch-Viles, but one of them got a shot in and destroyed the supercharges in the center, so I ran to the left to restock. That allowed the archviles to the right to raise a nasty little army that made me VERY glad I stocked up on cells and modded my BFG. I think I should have went after the archviles right after to stop them from raising corpses. I will keep that in mind next time.
If you're one-hitting everything you can usually let the enemies approach you instead. Whenever there's empty space, just shoot randomly into the darkness and hope you get one of the Viles. AoMC makes Mortuary easy if you aren't entirely surrounded at the beginning, but you should definitely go in with Ammochain just for the guarantee.

Here's hoping for more challenge victories!
I'm just a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude.

Latest LPs: Angband, Delver

StarStorm

• Gold Supporter
  • Supporter
  • Lance Corporal
  • Feline Overlord
    • View Profile
Re: [M|AoMC|YAAM] Aw HELL yeah!
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 20:25 »

Wow, that's...quite a list there. The only thing I find surprising, I guess, is that this is your first challenge win. You need quite a few medals involving challenges in order to unlock AoMC in the first place, I'm not even sure it's possible without at least playing a challenge (up to floor 12 or whatever). Either way, I think this just goes to show how much AoMC stands above the rest in terms of doability.
Yeah, this wasn't my first challenge game by a long shot, I've had forays into Shotgunnery (19M, 5H), Marksmanship (15), and Berserk, Pacifism and Humanity (2, not even a real attempt). Technically, it IS possible to get to Warrant Officer without any challenge badges (you only need 12 bronze badges, which is the exact number of challengeless badges. There's 10 challegeless silver badges, and you only need 6 for Warrant officer).

But yeah, it's my first successful run. The only reason that list is so long is because A) got lucky (100% in particular, I'm surprised JC didn't summon) B) I do *not* like leaving things alive. When I move on to Nightmare!, it's gonna suck.

I think it takes 12 damage before you start seeing knockback, meaning that SoB(3) and a power mod on a plasma rifle are still fair game without causing that dreaded every-hit knockback. It really SHOULDN'T be as much of a problem as it is, seeing as how they should simply be knocked back into a tile that the attack was already going, but it doesn't always happen, so then we get the problems that occur. Which is to say, if it worked properly, you could still shoot at the tile you were shooting at and you'd still probably kill the enemy.
I'll keep that in mind. I was wondering at what point I'd start inflicting knockback and figured it'd be at 13 damage. I didn't need THAT much damage per shot. In retrospect, the third point of SoaB would be better placed in Ironman. I'll keep that in mind. You are correct in that often they would just follow the line of fire, but there's no ruder shock than seeing the Arch-Vile you were sure was going to die hop to the side and survive.

It depends on what you're protecting yourself against. Revs/Viles are always going to hit, in ANY game, so HR doesn't work there. Dodging, however, is calculated separately from accuracy (so the +12 to-hit is given, and then the chance to miss after) so if you play well you can still avoid a fair amount of normal attacks. Given that Iro/TaN are the blocked traits in Destroyer Diamond, however, it should be safe to say that they're more important in general.
Yeah, I realized that that during my playthrough, and usually tried that up until I got my first plasma rifle. I became VERY aggressive, which generally meant I walked into a lot of hits. Dodging became less important than being able to take a hit. Especially when I ended up with a fuckton of medkits.

As a note, I REALLY I need to get into a more cautious mindset, but I am having trouble. At least I'm not being stupid around corners.

If you're one-hitting everything you can usually let the enemies approach you instead. Whenever there's empty space, just shoot randomly into the darkness and hope you get one of the Viles. AoMC makes Mortuary easy if you aren't entirely surrounded at the beginning, but you should definitely go in with Ammochain just for the guarantee.

Here's hoping for more challenge victories!

Mmm, thank you for that thought. I was lucky to have two archviles spawn right next to me, although I couldn't kill both of them before they woke up. I was treated to the sight of the archviles ressing a massive hole in the floor when I retreated. It was an interesting sight, but one I won't repeat.

Anyways, thank you. You're not the only one hoping! I think I'll try to finish Marksmanship, then try another crack at UV. I rather like AoMr.
0.9.9.2: HB 1L. (3-2/6-3/3-1/0/0)
Pages: [1]