Chaosforge Forum

• April 25, 2024, 21:17
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Some easier to obtain badges?  (Read 10238 times)

Brewtal Legend

• Second Lieutenant
  • I am Hellbound
    • View Profile
Some easier to obtain badges?
« on: April 23, 2011, 14:11 »

I was hoping that there could be some new badges that are a little easier to obtain. Mostly for players like myself who have followed and played the games for years, but don't really have lots of time to play  learn the ins and outs of the game to practice so much.

Most the badges are fairly difficult for an average player like myself. And unlocking the challenges has to be done by earning badges. But then some badges can only be earned if certain challenges are unlocked. Which makes it much harder. Plus it seems like most the badges require beating the game. 

I for one would love to try angel of 100 since it seems more in the vein of traditional roguelikes. The way the game is now, it is almost mandatory to visit some of the special levels since certain items like the bfg can only be found in them. But I still can't unlock angel of 100 yet. :(

Anyways, just hoping to see a handful of bronze, silver, and maybe gold badges added to the game that are a little easier to get. Or make it it a little easier to unlock the challenge modes.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 14:23 by Brewtal Legend »
-Legend

MaiZure

• Marketing/PR Ops Lead
  • Greater Elder
  • Major General
  • Retired 1-Star General (.993)
    • View Profile
    • Project repository
Re: Some easier to obtain badges?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 16:35 »

The goods news is that the next version will introduce 3 new badge series, two of which will reward players more for amount of play rather than ability during play.

Keep trying for that win though!
Hell Knight 1st Lt. (.997)
[22/13/9/2/0]

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Local Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2011, 20:44 »

Well, to use your A100 goal, currently it takes 10B and 3S to reach Sergeant Major, which unlocks that challenge.  Not including the other angels that come from this rank, there are 16 bronzes and 9 silvers that don't require winning the game. Even if we take out the HMP/UV ones for the silvers, there are still three very doable badges (four if you include Strongman Silver which REALLY isn't that bad). I don't think that this is too much to ask of the player.

Now if you're telling me that you've been playing the game for years (albeit casually) and you haven't won a game to this day, even on ITYTD, I'm not really sure what to say. Check out my badge guide if you're aiming for some specifics, or check out Thomas's guide for the basics on winning a typical game. As a rule of thumb, rapid-fire builds wreck most everything on easier difficulties, so I would stick with traits like SoB and EE if you're working on ITYTD/HNTR.

I don't think badges within the same tier (material?) should differ too much in terms of difficulty, though if we get to the point of having a lot of badges I can imagine switching things around and even rebalancing them in general. If you're really hankering for some other challenges you could always ask someone for their player.wad file just to mess around. Granted, most of the challenges that take longer to get are quite a bit harder than the more immediate ones. (For instance, there's a reason A100 is a Gold badge.)
I'm just a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude.

Latest LPs: Angband, Delver

Brewtal Legend

• Second Lieutenant
  • I am Hellbound
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011, 01:56 »

Now if you're telling me that you've been playing the game for years (albeit casually) and you haven't won a game to this day, even on ITYTD, I'm not really sure what to say.

That mostly has to do with lack of free time alone. Even then, I do have other things I like to do from time to time other than play doomrl. The game is great but it also seems that in order to get really good at it, you need to know most the spoilers and take a relatively linear path.

I was just hoping to see a small amount of badges added to make it a little easier to gain ranks needed to unlock challenges. Not to make it overly easy.  Constantly trying the same challenge to get a badge over and over again to gain the ranks cause I want to try some of the other game modes can get both boring and frustrating.

Last time, I tried over and over with no luck to get the silver hell arena badge because your badges guide said it was one of the easier ones till I just gave up. The guide did come in handy though and I appreciate that you made it. Think you could add a glossary of all the shorthand and abbreviations though?

I wouldn't want someone elses player.wad. It would just take away from the overall experience I think.
-Legend

rchandra

• Elder
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2011, 03:14 »

I think that all the challenges will be too difficult to enjoy if you can't routinely win I'm too Young to Die and sometimes win Hey, not too Rough (in standard mode).

The game is great but it also seems that in order to get really good at it, you need to know most the spoilers and take a relatively linear path.

Nethack?  the "spoilers" in Doom are either not that important or get understood very quickly the first time you see them.
While the path of the special levels is linear, the paths of character advancement keep a lot of variety imo - there are at least 9 major builds (7 master traits, masterless pistol, juggler) and all of them can be tweaked (trait order, followups, sidetracks).  Other masterless builds are possible too, as long as they're reasonably focused.

and I think the easiest silvers are, in approximate order: Scavenger, Reaper, Strongman, Berserker, Shottyman.  (maybe Arena, I'm not sure at all where to place that one).
0.9.9.1-4: Arch-Vile Br. General [25/25/17/5/1]
0.9.9.5-7: Hell Baron Major [ 21 16 12 4 1 0 ]

Thomas

• DoomRL Wiki and Testing Ops
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Major General
  • How's it going?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2011, 08:46 »

I wouldn't put Berserker as an easy silver, to get to level 16 in AoB requires the same amount of skill as beating AoB, and beating AoB takes a fair bit of skill (and luck)

Arena is a medium to hard silver. The arena is never really a huge challenge if you go in with a combat shotgun, some medpacks and a level or two of finesse/reloader, but clearing out level 3 (and even level 2 sometimes) of UV without running in to major issues is HARD.

If you're dead set on unlocking Ao100, you might as well get Shottyman Silver, Marksman Silver and Quartermaster Silver. Not only are they some of the easier ones (maybe not marksman) but why bother unlocking challenges if you can't even beat the ones you've got?

Also, it honestly seems weird to me that of all the challenges in the game, Ao100 sounds the most fun to you. The only thing that got me through UV Ao100 was the knowledge that because I'll never try to get all the diamond badges, I'll never have to play Ao100 again.
Arch-Vile Chaos Major Thomas
[26/26/26/25/9/1]
Medals: 35/43 Specials: 69/67 Assemblies: 36/40

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2011, 11:53 »

Ao100 will be more fun each version, I promise :>
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Brewtal Legend

• Second Lieutenant
  • I am Hellbound
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2011, 14:10 »

Nethack?  the "spoilers" in Doom are either not that important or get understood very quickly the first time you see them.

I know similar things could be said for nethack. And some mandatory objectives in nethack are more obscure than in doomrl, but it just has that feeling of vastness and exploration that makes one not notice as much or really even play with the intention of actually beating the game. Just explore as much as possible to see how long you can last. At least for me. (sorry I just pasted that section from a reply in another thread since it fits here too)

I never thought or meant that I thought that the trait building was linear itself.

I like the idea of Angel of 100 because it reminds me a bit more of the original rogue. Although, since the special levels are taken out, seems like it would be nice if some of the special boss monsters and level specific items/weapons have a chance to be found during an Ao100 run.

A couple of ideas for the easier badges would be things like getting a badge for even just reaching some of the special bosses and getting at least one hit on them. Maybe one for just reaching the hellgate? Even a badge for reaching level 50 of angel of 100. Stuff like that.

I'm not trying to knock the game or whine that it's too hard or anything like that just to be clear. Was just hoping for a couple new badges that are a little easier to get than the one already available. Nothing rediculously easy or anything like that like just clearing the phobos surface.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 14:12 by Brewtal Legend »
-Legend

Tavana

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2011, 21:05 »

... seems like it would be nice if some of the special boss monsters ... have a chance to be found during an Ao100 run.

This is part of what Kornel was just talking about.
Common words do not mean common understanding. Language is mercurial. Meanings are never constant.

Thomas

• DoomRL Wiki and Testing Ops
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Major General
  • How's it going?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2011, 22:14 »

Yeah, in my last Ao100 run, I ran in to all of the boss enemies except for the true super extra boss and the angel of death. I'm not sure if I was playing a BETA, though.

Also this topic is really quite redundant (except for all the lovely not-quite-on-topic discussion we're having) because Technician Silver and Armorer Silver are easily the two easiest silver badges to get, so the BETAs already have some easier silvers. If you're following the 'News from the Forge' thread, you'll notice that we're already in Release Candidates for 0.9.9.3, so we're pretty close to releasing these new badges (along with the rest of 0.9.9.3) to the public.
Arch-Vile Chaos Major Thomas
[26/26/26/25/9/1]
Medals: 35/43 Specials: 69/67 Assemblies: 36/40

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Local Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2011, 23:43 »

Also this topic is really quite redundant (except for all the lovely not-quite-on-topic discussion we're having) because Technician Silver and Armorer Silver are easily the two easiest silver badges to get, so the BETAs already have some easier silvers.
On the other hand, the rank requirements are getting buffed to accomodate the six new badge sets (including additions from .9.9.2) so you'll still need to deal with getting some harder ones to reach the same rank. Hopefully it won't be too bad, though.

Brewtal Legend

• Second Lieutenant
  • I am Hellbound
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2011, 11:53 »

On the other hand, the rank requirements are getting buffed to accomodate the six new badge sets (including additions from .9.9.2) so you'll still need to deal with getting some harder ones to reach the same rank.

So, if I manage to reach Sergeant rank before the new version, when I play the new version I will be taken back to the Corporal rank? That seems a little lame. 
-Legend

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Local Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2011, 13:13 »

So, if I manage to reach Sergeant rank before the new version, when I play the new version I will be taken back to the Corporal rank?
I don't think it will strip ranks retroactively. In fact, you'll be at a higher rank than you should be: the next rank will simply require more than normal.

That said, Thomas is right that two of the three new badges are really easy, if not immediately attained after your first mortem, for many players who have played a large number of games.  (The third one is a fairly easy bronze/silver but goes quickly to becoming the hardest badge series.) For the most part, this cancels out the increased requirements, so you'll probably be stuck needing the same badges you've been going after.

The only reason I consider Arena Silver an easy badge is because I consider factors other than sheer difficulty, namely time investment. Reaching/completing HA on UV will take, at most, 10 minutes for players who are unfamiliar with UV (5 when you're used to it), so you can blow through quite a few attempts instead of trying to actually win a game. This is what makes the Arena series among the "easiest" badges to get in general. (Not that an AoB N! clear is easy by any means, but you can try your luck some 20-30 times in the same time you'd try for a standard N! win.) Unfortunately the other UV badges are more annoying as you actually have to get pretty far in your run.

Brewtal Legend

• Second Lieutenant
  • I am Hellbound
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2011, 14:49 »

The only reason I consider Arena Silver an easy badge is because I consider factors other than sheer difficulty, namely time investment.

Yeah, I figured what you meant by considering the easiest. That's why I have been focusing on that one for the sergeant rank. I agree with it it being faster to try and achieve since, if you don't make it, you'e not set back that far when having to start over.

I only need 1 silver and one more bronze to get it. I thought I should have gotten the bronze gatekeeper badge since my longest run so far was level 17 on Angel of light travel, but I can't remember if I killed everything on the hellgate or not while I was there.

Would be nice if there were a couple more badges that required to reach a specific level for silver instead of outright beating the game. like level 15-18 or so. I know Aob is that way, and rightly so since it's quite hard to even get to level 7. Still can't get to level 15. (the wiki says level 15 and the game says level 16 for the angel of berserk challenge. Which is it?)
-Legend

grommile

• Elder
  • First Lieutenant
  • mmm beer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2011, 11:30 »

Berserker Silver used to be 15, and clearly nobody had updated the wiki. It was bumped to 16 in 0.9.9.2, since "got past the Hellgate" is a much better performance metric than "descended 14 sets of stairs".

As for Gatekeeper Bronze, it's quite easy to miss one of the lost souls.

... Hm. If you can get to 17 on AoLT (which is, necessarily, strictly harder than HNTR normal), I'm quite surprised you haven't managed to win on ITYTD.
0.9.9.7: 22-15-10-0-0 22/43 62/67 (P 349, D 43/67) 36/40 (B19 A12 M5) Arch-Vile CPT

Armorer Platinum and Diamond should be abolished; the Dragonslayer taboo deserves every scrap of mockery it receives.
Pages: [1] 2  All