Chaosforge Forum

• April 26, 2024, 14:54
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: newbie questions  (Read 1901 times)

SmokingKipper

• Private
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
newbie questions
« on: April 24, 2011, 22:58 »

Hey guys, I have just gotten into the game and have read most of the guide in the sticky but have some questions....

How can I see what my dodge level is at? I can get traits (and I imagine possibly gear etc) to increase this, can I see my current dodge %?

When dodging, how do I know how much faster I am than the mob?  I mean, how do I know at which point I need to move out the way, and when I can take a shot?

Cheers all!!

Thomas

• DoomRL Wiki and Testing Ops
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Major General
  • How's it going?
    • View Profile
Re: newbie questions
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011, 23:27 »

You can see your movespeed (along with how fast your firing and reloading actions are) in the character screen, seen by pressing "@", or Shift + 2.

You can't see how fast enemies are, but most of them move and fire at 1.00 second delays. If you want to know how fast enemies are, you can check the DoomRL wiki, where their speed is listed in their respective articles. The important ones to know are that demons have a delay of about 0.8s, lost souls are like 0.35s, arachnotrons are about 0.7s and viles are about 0.6s. Mancubi are the only enemies that are slower than 1.0s, I think. You can't tell when their turn is about to come up in-game, you can only guess based on how fast they are.

As for the chance of successfully sidestepping an enemy projectile, that depends mainly on whether you're in running mode or not and the enemy you're trying to dodge. Mancubi, for example, will never hit a moving target but arachnotrons and former captains are much more likely to hit you once or twice even if you're in running mode and dodging about.

If you're actually trying to fight enemies out of cover without getting hit, you're not really thinking about it the right way. You should focus mainly on trying to kill enemies from around corners. Sometimes the cover and enemy placement wont allow this, and that's when you rely on your defensive traits by either dodging around if you have HR or just standing still and taking it if you have TaN/Iro.
Arch-Vile Chaos Major Thomas
[26/26/26/25/9/1]
Medals: 35/43 Specials: 69/67 Assemblies: 36/40

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011, 23:38 »

Welcome to the forums, hope you enjoy your stay.

With regards to your question, it is not a beginner query at all. In fact, the only thing that would be considered "experienced knowledge" is understanding that dodge chance is actually pretty complicated. You'll find everything you need to know about dodging on this Wiki page.  (Unless you haven't seen all the typical monsters, there aren't any spoilers.) The odds range quite a bit depending on the attack type, so there's no easy way to remember it. If you want a quick reference, natural projectiles (fireballs and such) are pretty easy to dodge, bullets and plasma (notably Arachnotron plasma) aren't.

Although it isn't mentioned explicitly on the page, know that all of the benefits listed on that page only count when you're actually dodging the attack. Specifically this means you're roughly sidestepping the line of fire (ex: if the enemy would shoot down to hit you, stepping left or right is a sidestep). I'm not sure what the angular range is (or if there even is one) for movement to be counted as sidestep, but I usually try to maintain at least a 45-degree perpendicular motion.

Also note that dodging is calculated separately from to-hit, so even if the enemies are guaranteed a hit (like AoMC) you can still rely on dodging to avoid a lot of damage.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 08:16 by Game Hunter »
I'm just a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude.

Latest LPs: Angband, Delver

SmokingKipper

• Private
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011, 23:55 »

wow, thank guys for the quick reply.  You have answered my questions perfectly :)

I have been playing little bit, and if I concentrate on getting the Badass trait, I can get to around lvl 10-11, which I am impressed with! 

But I was hoping I could build a flair style build, like a bit of jon woo pistol m'jiggery instead of the slow and steady tank hiding around the corner style.

I'll have a play later.....I tried to go pistols, and got dual pistols etc, but found the style a bit trickier to play than with my combat shogun

Deathwind

• Colonel
  • HMP Angel of Patience 0.9.9.4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011, 00:35 »

If you are using pistols in that way the best thing would be to get that firing time as low as you can and to prioritize your targets. Also remember that there are 3 enemies that cannot miss or be dodged - former sargents, reverents and arch viles
v.997 [16/5/2/0/0]
Pages: [1]