Chaosforge Forum

• April 27, 2024, 02:34
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: A "wait until something happens" key  (Read 2584 times)

Omegthemad

• Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
A "wait until something happens" key
« on: April 30, 2011, 16:10 »

Basically, I've had too much gift dropping ruined by the sheer tedium that just waiting would require, and feel that this function should be relegatable to the underlying machine. With that in mind, I'd like to see a command which causes you to wait a number of 0.1s intervals until the instant in which you see an enemy or hear a freed soul or anything else that ought to attract your attention.

While I'm here, may as well also suggest that the default Wait command should have a duration of "1.0s or until something happens" not "1.0s, always". It seems absurd to me that there should exist a perfectly reasonable loadout (Tactical boots/armour) under which it literally takes you less time to move back and forth on the spot than to wait for something to happen.

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
Re: A "wait until something happens" key
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 16:32 »

This would be sooooo overpowered :) (I hope someone will explain why).
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

BirdoPrey

• Elder
  • Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2011, 16:41 »

Yes waiting for .1 second intervals would be extremely overpowered. It would be nice to have something that waited longer intervals however.

In response to the absurdity of moving being faster than standing in place, perhaps the wait action could wait exactly as long as it would take to move, in which case the extended wait command would wait in those intervals instead.

grommile

• Elder
  • First Lieutenant
  • mmm beer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2011, 17:14 »

Making your movement speed modifier affect your wait time would mean having to rebalance "heavy" gear.
0.9.9.7: 22-15-10-0-0 22/43 62/67 (P 349, D 43/67) 36/40 (B19 A12 M5) Arch-Vile CPT

Armorer Platinum and Diamond should be abolished; the Dragonslayer taboo deserves every scrap of mockery it receives.

tehtmi

• Programmer
  • Local Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2011, 18:24 »

Kornel suggested he might add enough power to the keybinding system to allow a custom keybinding that would run back and forth until an enemy is sighted. Not for 0.9.9.3 though.

Anyway, I think a min(move time, 1.0s) wait command is worth considering.

Also, you may not be aware of the "run in place" command.  You can use "," + "." to wait 20? (configurable) times or until an enemy is sighted. It is, as you mentioned, sometimes not optimal. But I find that the decreased tedium is usually worth the price.  IIrc, this was original added after AoB players complained about the tedium of gift dropping.

0.1 second waiting would allow you to always get the first shot against enemies -- that's just for starters.

Omegthemad

• Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2011, 02:20 »

I wasn't aware there was a "run in place" command, no. That would've helped, a lot, and possibly left me being not annoyed enough to make this suggestion. :D

The intended thing I was proposing wasn't a 0.1s wait, it was a "1.0s wait that's interrupted after an enemy takes action". Still probably overpowered in retrospect, I'll admit, but less so than being able to get the first shot against _everything_.
Pages: [1]