Chaosforge Forum

• April 28, 2024, 09:01
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Sound Code Revision/Update  (Read 1652 times)

GrimmC

Sound Code Revision/Update
« on: May 16, 2011, 15:47 »

Two thoughts. One, currently when you kill a monster, its pain sound and death sound play at the same time. This obscures the death sound and makes any longtime Doom vets think the baddie is still alive. (In Doom, the killing blow did not produce a death sound.) Could it be altered or config'd to be this way for DoomRL?

Two, when multiple sounds play at once, they get amplified. This results in a spike in volume perhaps far above what you've experienced for the past half hour. Personally it makes me worry for my speakers and that I'm gonna wake everyone up. Could this be looked at too?

I know Doom had some sort of cap on the sounds. i.e., the loudest a sound could be is when it was right next to you. Multiple sounds at once in the distance might amplify it a little bit, but never past the maxsound of point blank. That makes it easier to tell how loud the game is going to be, ever.

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Local Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike
Re: Sound Code Revision/Update
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 16:24 »

Two thoughts. One, currently when you kill a monster, its pain sound and death sound play at the same time. This obscures the death sound and makes any longtime Doom vets think the baddie is still alive. (In Doom, the killing blow did not produce a death sound.) Could it be altered or config'd to be this way for DoomRL?
Check out this post by Kornel. It's been brought up multiple times before and has been added to commonly reported bugs: in short, I wouldn't plan on it getting changed soon.

Two, when multiple sounds play at once, they get amplified. This results in a spike in volume perhaps far above what you've experienced for the past half hour. Personally it makes me worry for my speakers and that I'm gonna wake everyone up. Could this be looked at too?
I THINK reducing or removing the amplification can be addressed. I believe there are some posts relating to this as well, can't seem to find them at the moment.
I'm just a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude.

Latest LPs: Angband, Delver

GrimmC

Re: Sound Code Revision/Update
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 20:49 »

I'm...not sure I see the relevance of those two posts. It's not in the frequently reported bugs nor does Kornel's post seem relevant. (Unless I'm going blind.) It's not a matter of animation or timing; it's a matter of whether the pain sound should play in the first place.

i.e., in Doom the killing blow produced no pain sound. Honestly, I've been modding Doom for over a decade and I still don't quite understand how it works...if the pain state is skipped or if it rolls directly into death...but either it should be replicatable.

How about a check to see if the monster's health is negative before playing the pain sound? If it is, no pain sound is played. (I know negative health is stored because gibbing is implemented.)
Pages: [1]