Chaosforge Forum

• April 27, 2024, 08:02
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Power-Up Duration Tracking  (Read 2140 times)

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
Power-Up Duration Tracking
« on: July 05, 2011, 19:08 »

So according to a discussion on #chaosforge, the "time duration" for power-ups like Invulnerability, Berserk and Environment protection are not actually based on in-game time but based on in-game action.  This is a little unintuitive, since one would think that in-game "time" would be a more universal metric for determining an action as opposed to the meta-concept of an "action" taken by the player.

So, I'm thinking that these power-ups should have their duration clamped to an in-game time amount instead, so that bonuses from attack speed, weapon swap, movement speed can all factor in positively in "prolonging" the power up in terms of number of performable player actions.

Of course there are some issues on this being overpowered.  I was thinking that for the first pick up of the power-up, we add some fixed duration to the effect, and subsequent power-ups extend the time left by a fractional amount.  This way, we provide a diminishing returns scenario so that the consecutive consumption of the various power-ups will not extend the actual time duration of the power-up indefinitely.

What do yinz think?
I computed, therefore I was.

ParaSait

• Baffen :P
  • Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Happy Little Boozer
    • View Profile
    • MPSF
Re: Power-Up Duration Tracking
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 19:34 »

Wait a minute... so you mean it currently doesn't help to prolong powerup duration by running?
:[
[18|7|3|0|0|0] [MED:13/43] [SPE:36/67] [ASM:11/40]

Check out my epic youtube channel!
Currently playing The Bard's Tale and System Shock 2 (coop with GrAV1t)!

General Patton

• Plays too much DoomRL
  • Elder
  • Sergeant
  • That's one doomed space marine.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 20:29 »

This would certainly be less overpowered than getting your move speed down to less than .4 seconds and zerking your way to multiple actions per turn. That trick lets you multiply powerup duration, not to mention other benefits like dividing the amount of damage from terrain (or even phasing through small patches without any damage) and pulling off multi-sidesteps that let you dodge archviles and revenants.

Perhaps instead of tracking turns or time, it could use some other quantity that is depleted by both individual actions and game time.

@ParaSait, I believe you can slow down supercharged health decay by running.

Deathwind

• Colonel
  • HMP Angel of Patience 0.9.9.4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 00:48 »

health decay has always been based 1 second cycles, I see no reason not to give it a try for power-ups to see if it works.
v.997 [16/5/2/0/0]

tehtmi

• Programmer
  • Supporter of Chaos
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 00:52 »

Whatever the case, I think balance issues can probably be solved no matter whether this is changed or not.  I believe that changing the duration to be based on time rather than actions is good because it is much more intuitive.

Problems with berserk being weird and too strong are, in my opinion, a completely different issue (which also needs addressing).
Pages: [1]