Chaosforge Forum

• June 03, 2024, 14:04
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Strategies  (Read 11558 times)

DaEezT

• Greater Elder
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Strategies
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2006, 05:42 »

Starting with a knife would already go a long way. More than once have I traveled to the chained court without finding a knife along the way. There isn't even one in the arena...
"Morality is merely a convention with which men mutually agree to delude themselves. There are no moral facts, just preferences, and one is no better than any other."

Karry

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2006, 06:15 »

No, reaching the Court is relatively easy. Well, not easy easy, but doable. But getting from Court to Cathedral is pretty much impossible.

Valkeera

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2006, 09:32 »

No, reaching the Court is relatively easy. Well, not easy easy, but doable. But getting from Court to Cathedral is pretty much impossible.

I think it's doable with good tactics.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Of course this won't help you if you find youself in a room with four hell knights and/or hell barons :-/
Angel of Death 007

DaEezT

• Greater Elder
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2006, 10:56 »

huh?
To me the hardest part of AoB is always reaching the chained court (never managed it on UV so far). After that it's fairly easy and once you reach the Cathedral it's a walk in the park. AoD dies from 4 attacks and Cybie from two and chainsaw + brute(1) + berserk from pack/med = kill AVs with one hit.
"Morality is merely a convention with which men mutually agree to delude themselves. There are no moral facts, just preferences, and one is no better than any other."

Ugm

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
    • Serwis ADOM
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2006, 13:08 »

Definitely, getting to Chained Court is the hardest part at higher difficulty levels. You have to sneak, run and when you encounter single demon without any armor or a knife, you have to be *very* lucky to survive. Not to mention former captains.

It's very unbalanced, because with chainsaw it gets much easier and with LS... pure pleasure. There should be some topic analogous to those suggestions making AoM possible ;)
...and now go, tiny mortal!

Moonlight

• Private FC
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2006, 02:12 »

Hm... Intuition seems very usefull, i havn't beat the game even once so i think i need to start thinking outside the box for once. ^^
(But i do seriosly need help on this one!)

TFoN

• Colonel
  • Gleefully antisocial!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2006, 09:29 »

Blade, you're my kind a' (doom)guy! :P

+Intuition -Shotguns is the way I've been keeping it.

I rarely use shotguns, although they've some up-sides: they make the lvl0 of H.diff and up much easier than in the easier difficulties, which is reaaaaly good.
But it seems more often they cause unwanted barrel explosions, near-melee behaviour and so on. Chaingun+SoaB(3)=32.5 avgdmg per trigger, 6.5 per shot, piercing almost any monster armor value at mindmg=4 per shot, with ammo carefuly watched taking out beasties through the late-game.

I've been using Intuition since I'd discovered it, and it makes things a whole lot easier.
Since I almost only use chainguns anyway, I don't really care WHAT I'm shooting at, as long as there's something there. The only problem then is barrels (but that's true anyway), and the occasional surprise wall. Plus, it enables strategic use of levers, like the rare retreat followed by flooding a room with lava, or much more frequently, bringing down the walls for a "fastest route" between the supercharge/invulnerability to the stairs (not to mention sure healing and armor repair).
Certainly, AoMasochism requires the art of universal avoidence and therefore Intuition(3) (but I haven't reached that just yet).
And when it comes to knowing WHAT the red dots are, first of all, keep an ear open, as anything you hit you'll recognize.
Certainly, hellish caves are easy to figure out, as they are filled with only one type at a time, usualy determinable by difficulty, level and of course sounds.
Then, stationary dots are almost always weapon-users - what weapon-user it is is mostly level dependant.
Fast-movers are Lost Souls or Arachnotrons, and only Arachnotrons are harmed by lava (which is usualy wherever they are), and they make very distinct sounds whenever they walk over it. There are also Demons, which make SHITLOADS of noise, and can be handled with a chaingun at two paces.
Slow-movers are Cacodemons, Knights and Barons, who should all be treated the same anyway.
Former foos, (with the possible exception of commandos who should be treated like Knights with valuable belongings) all make alot of noise, are all affected by lava, and all take one trigger of the chaingun, often almost exactly - so there's very little waste involved.
Finally, if the dead are rising, there's an Arch-Vile afoot, and I suggest a rocket-barrage till the dead remain so.

Yeah, it ain't 100% accurate, but with care it's almost so, and it's 100% of the map.
IMHO, that's much better than the 1-space-per-rank, non-X-ray Cateye, which is almost useless in a Maze of Rooms (where Intuition enables for near-perfect isolation of danger-zones for barrel demolition and the such).

Blade

• Tester
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
    • Upyachka
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2006, 11:48 »

Blade, you're my kind a' (doom)guy! :P

+Intuition -Shotguns is the way I've been keeping it.

I rarely use shotguns, although they've some up-sides: they make the lvl0 of H.diff and up much easier than in the easier difficulties, which is reaaaaly good.
But it seems more often they cause unwanted barrel explosions, near-melee behaviour and so on. Chaingun+SoaB(3)=32.5 avgdmg per trigger, 6.5 per shot, piercing almost any monster armor value at mindmg=4 per shot, with ammo carefuly watched taking out beasties through the late-game.

I've been using Intuition since I'd discovered it, and it makes things a whole lot easier.
Since I almost only use chainguns anyway, I don't really care WHAT I'm shooting at, as long as there's something there. The only problem then is barrels (but that's true anyway), and the occasional surprise wall. Plus, it enables strategic use of levers, like the rare retreat followed by flooding a room with lava, or much more frequently, bringing down the walls for a "fastest route" between the supercharge/invulnerability to the stairs (not to mention sure healing and armor repair).

One correction. I'm not a man of Intuition and chaingun. I just have not played with shotguns in new version. Belive me, in previous version i used only shotguns and RL during all game. I was counted chaingun and plasma rifle as unaccurate and weak weapons. But when i started first game on new version i found lots of chainguns on dlvl 2, so i decided to advance in this new for me way. And i liked it. Anyway, to break stereotype, especially for you i will play(when i will have time)) a game with shotguns and RL(and BFG), and without any Intuition or Cat's Eye.
Low orbit ion cannon damaged my brain!!1
Now i'm an idiot!1 Kill me, somebody!!11

TFoN

• Colonel
  • Gleefully antisocial!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2006, 12:28 »

Okay, it seems that Intuition (3) strategy is very much viable on UV, but its really boring and "undoomish" (God, what a stupid word...).
I mean, sniping everyone from 15 steps away, shooting in the darkness ? Well...
But i cant really imagine winning the game using any other strategy. Looks like its the only possible way, very limiting i'd say.

Anyone who can reach the Cathedral on UV AoB - is a maniac. Not to mention very much luck dependant.
For a mixed melee game...i dont know.

Well, obviously Blade came through and proved both cases possible.

Gratz!
« Last Edit: December 31, 2006, 12:31 by TFoN »
Pages: 1 [2]  All