Chaosforge Forum

• April 27, 2024, 04:54
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: [0.9.9.4] Shottyman doesn't reload from shell box  (Read 2163 times)

Solarn

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
[0.9.9.4] Shottyman doesn't reload from shell box
« on: September 22, 2011, 16:16 »

Just as the thread title says, moving while having Shottyman reloads from the inventory instead of a prepared shell box. This is something that I've noticed across many playthroughs and I'm not sure if it's intended behaviour (why?) or a bug.

ParaSait

• Baffen :P
  • Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Happy Little Boozer
    • View Profile
    • MPSF
Re: [0.9.9.4] Shottyman doesn't reload from shell box
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2011, 16:27 »

This is intended.
Yeah, it's pretty annoying tho lol.
[18|7|3|0|0|0] [MED:13/43] [SPE:36/67] [ASM:11/40]

Check out my epic youtube channel!
Currently playing The Bard's Tale and System Shock 2 (coop with GrAV1t)!

Thexare

• Elder
  • Captain
  • I think I need a new favorite gun now...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2011, 21:03 »

(why?)
Because the primary benefit of reloading from a shell box is that it's faster than a standard reload. However, they don't make you move faster, meaning that there's no benefit from using the (limited, non-refillable) boxes for a move-load.
Former Human Corporal
1/42 M, 7/60 S, 3/30 A
[ 6 / 1 / 0 / 0 / 0 ]

Solarn

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 02:06 »

Because the primary benefit of reloading from a shell box is that it's faster than a standard reload. However, they don't make you move faster, meaning that there's no benefit from using the (limited, non-refillable) boxes for a move-load.
There is a very clear benefit, which is that shell boxes hold twice the amount of ammo that normal stacks do. As it stands, after getting Shottyman, shell boxes, which should be great for conserving inventory space, become USELESS because of this. It's 100 shells that I can't use unless I stop to manually reload. How is that in any way sensible?

Ander Hammer

• Elder
  • Major
  • burst laser rifle (2d10)x7 [80/80] (H1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 04:58 »

It's 100 shells that I can't use unless I stop to manually reload. How is that in any way sensible?

Because you can still reload while standing still. Ranks in Reloader make your reload time low, but not as low as reloading from a box; there will be times when you don't want to move but want more ammo; and you could always, y'know, just reload while standing still instead of moving.

Ammocans are never useless.
Hell Baron Major
[25|20|11|2|0]
Quest: bronzes/silvers i guess
[Inferno] ITYTD Win

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Local Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2011, 07:00 »

It's 100 shells that I can't use unless I stop to manually reload. How is that in any way sensible?
You can still unload a shell box into your inventory: while this will take up an extra inventory slot, it'll let you use Shottyman all the same. Whenever your inventory shells run dry, just unload another shell box. As a matter of inventory management it should only be of minimal concern.

To be honest, you'd think the way Shottyman works would ONLY allow using shells from ammo you're carrying in your prepared slot. It's hard to believe that the player can constantly reach into his backpack to reload while moving and would make far more sense if he could do it with a box of shells in, say, his belt or pocket (I have no idea "where" the prepared slot puts stuff, but it is a faster action). Perhaps shell boxes could grant auto-Shottyman instead? (This is also a question of balance, however, so there would be other necessary changes if this were to happen.)
I'm just a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude.

Latest LPs: Angband, Delver
Pages: [1]