Chaosforge Forum

• April 26, 2024, 04:51
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Arena Silver  (Read 2115 times)

Sradac

• Corporal
    • View Profile
Arena Silver
« on: October 26, 2011, 03:21 »

Any tips on getting the hells arena silver badge in the newest version?  I just cant survive the Baron.  I've tried shotty builds, pistol, and rapid fire.  All of them I do fairly well with as long as I dont have too much bad luck, get past the first 2 waves, sometimes its a struggle, but by the time I get to round 3 I just can never manage to take out the baron.  Im either out of armor, out of medkits, or just cant do enough damage depending on the build.

Tips?  Which class and build seems to have the easiest time in newest version?

Chronos

• Corporal
    • View Profile
Re: Arena Silver
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, 03:46 »

The easiest way to get it is AoMC. Try to use a scout and get INT 2, this helps you to understand how enemies move.
The best way to kill Cacos and Barons W/O take damage is to shot from this position:

Code: [Select]
         B        B
    1####          ####4
     #  #          #  #
     ####          ####
        2          3

Pass me the horrible figure. EDIT: Thanks :)

In these positions, you can shot the baron and the max knockback from Max Carnage takes it distant from you.

Also you can understand where Barons are by paying attention at ammo that disappears. When you see ammo vanish and you are aligned, you can shot in that direction with your chaingun.

EDIT: Try to fully map the arena in the first 2 waves and try to cover behind pillars

Kornel Edit: use code tag for ASCII :)
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 15:00 by Chronos »
Arch-Vile Major (0.9.9.6G) [26/21/13/1/0]

Sambojin

• First Lieutenant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 20:50 »

There's a few (somewhat) simpler builds for it. It just depends on the run and the amount of levels you gain (exp wise) before the Arena. It tends to show up on level 2-3, so expect to be about experience level 2-3 when you go in. Horde every shotgun/shell you can (weapon switching and backpack grabbing is quicker than reloading with many builds). If you can get it, having a chaingun already makes things a bit easier for you. These builds do assume that you're going for the badge, not trying to complete the game with a super build.

Fin->Jug->(EE)? is a good build, providing easy weapon switching. Shotgun out the daemons/caco's with a pistol/chaingun for backup if the daemons get way too close. Switch to the pistol/chaingun after the barons come out (shotties really don't go well against their armour). If you're a marine, chucking BA on as your last trait (assuming you actually finish the Arena) is a nice little bonus so that you don't waste a single bit of the supercharge.

SoaG->SoaG->(SoaG/DG)? works, but is still a little too slow/weak for my liking. You can do it with a pistol build, especially if you manage to connect with radar shooting a little(see above comments for watching for ammo pickups by barons), but it isn't great. If you start as a technician (esp on AoMr), you can mod up one or two quite nice pistols from the get-go.

EE->EE->(SoaB)? Just a nice and accurate build. Radar shoot with shotguns still, but switch out to your pistol/chaingun as soon as you see them/know where they are. Cover is still your friend, and you'll be accurate enough to still hit a fair bit whilst running (auto-dodge is great).

Int->Int->(whatever/EE/Rel)? Scout-corner-shooting-madness. You always know when you'll hit with your shotguns, you can keep the hell away from things if you want, and you can run quite nicely. Probably one of the easier ones. Just horde shotties, shells and then blast the asterix out of, errm, asterixes. Chainguns will have an extra 50% miss rate if you can't see them(f'ing asterixes), so radar shoot with shotguns and slowly chip away at their health.

EE->SoaG->SoaG.  If you get a chaingun before the Arena (chances are you probably will on UV), this makes it both fairly accurate and quite damaging.

There's a few little quick builds. I've done it with them in the new version (and failed to, I'm not that good at this game), so you can too.
Hell, people have done it with melee weapons on a regular basis.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 21:16 by Sambojin »

rchandra

• Elder
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2011, 20:00 »

grabbing a shotgun out of the backpack is no longer quicker than reloading it, since it's now 1.0s reload.  This does work for chainguns, though, if you've gotten a few beforehand.  Weapon switching is faster than reloading shotguns unless you have reloader.

I recommend using running, dodging, and long-range shotgun blasts to lure the barons into a position for you to corner-shoot them, either with shotguns (Rel/Rel/Fin or SM) or chainguns (EE/SoB/SoB).

On UV you will usually be level 3 before the Arena, or at worst at the start of it.  If you find a vault make sure to clear it, as this makes level 4 pre-Baron possible.
0.9.9.1-4: Arch-Vile Br. General [25/25/17/5/1]
0.9.9.5-7: Hell Baron Major [ 21 16 12 4 1 0 ]

Sambojin

• First Lieutenant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2011, 18:15 »

Definately clear any vaults. You'll sometimes end up with some freakishly powerful stuff (I've gone to the arena with two red armours and a power modded shotty before).

If you're really having difficulty, I recommend the Scout shotgun build (Int->Int->Rel), or the chaingun build (EE->Soab/EE->Soab). They really make it a snap. Starting as a technician will also let you put your tech mod on a chaingun, making it quite a handy weapon indeed.
Pages: [1]