Chaosforge Forum

• April 26, 2024, 22:49
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Swapping to dual pistols/knives.  (Read 3455 times)

AlterAsc

• Supporter
  • Major
    • View Profile
Swapping to dual pistols/knives.
« on: November 22, 2011, 12:38 »

As it is now if you are going for DG or MMB there's no way to switch to two pistols/knives except going to equip menu, unequipping current weapon and equipping second pistol/knive.
Juggler does not help at all.So if i recall correctly you always need 2 seconds.
And if your inventory is full you have to drop your weapon which can get destroyed, adding 1 more second to pick it up.

Now what about adding function to equip second pistol/knive, so you don't need to do this long sequence. It should take 2 seconds(the same as now) and Juggler could reduce it to 1.Or to 0 but it's unbalanced probably.
(0.9.9.6 - ?) Arch-Vile Chaos Lt. Colonel [26|20|18|16|12|2]

raekuul

• Supporter
  • Brigadier General
  • Storyteller Under The Bridge
    • View Profile
    • Veldania
Re: Swapping to dual pistols/knives.
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 12:51 »

Juggler reduces the time to quick-equip to instant; Z-Swapping and Number-Equipping are therefore instant with Juggler. I do believe (although I could be mistaken) that Number-Equipping draws from the first eligible item in your inventory.

1 - Combat Knife
2 - Pistol
3 - Shotgun
4 - Either Double Shotgun or Pump-Action Shotgun
5 - Whatever Shotgun is not covered by 4
6 - Chaingun
7 - Rocket Launcher
8 - Plasma Rifle
9 - BFG

I have no idea if it can quickdraw qualifying exotics or uniques, but I would think it doesn't.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 12:53 by raekuul »
Tormuse doesn't lose, he dies on purpose to lull the demons into a false sense of security.

AlterAsc

• Supporter
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 13:06 »

Number-swapping checks if numbered weapon is in equipped slot and if it is there than you swap to prepaired slot.
If it was so easy i would not create this thread.

Also 4 is combat shotgun, 5 is double shotgun,0 is a chainsaw.
And all this buttons also work for assemblies (eg. tactical shotgun is 4 too).
(0.9.9.6 - ?) Arch-Vile Chaos Lt. Colonel [26|20|18|16|12|2]

Uranium

• Greater Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
  • Heavier Than A Death In The Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 13:24 »

Number-swapping doesn't work for missile launcher, so I assume it won't work with other exotics/uniques.
Use power for power.

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Local Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 14:17 »

This is the result of a more general problem: the [e]quipment menu doesn't actually let you swap equipment, making it a fairly useless screen (I probably get more use out of it for a quick check of traits than for the equipment itself). With armor, boots, and active weapons, you can use the inventory menu to swap out and it only takes a second: since there is no immediate way to access the prepared slot, it doesn't have this sort of capability and takes almost three times as long (first swap active/prepared, then swap from inventory screen, finally re-swap active/prepared) to do the same task.

Basically, we need a menu when selecting a particular equipment slot that gives the available equipment to swap out, along with an extra selection to "unequip". Doing this is nontrivial: however, I believe it is an important feature that should be included as soon as possible.

Number-swapping doesn't work for missile launcher, so I assume it won't work with other exotics/uniques.
Technically you can command-swap any weapon at all, so long as you bind a key to it in keybindings.lua. This is pretty hacky (not to mention how many exotics and uniques there actually are) which is why I don't use it: ideally we will get rid of this kind of functionality in the future.
I'm just a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude.

Latest LPs: Angband, Delver

Matt_S

• Elder
  • Major
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2011, 22:41 »

Technically you can command-swap any weapon at all, so long as you bind a key to it in keybindings.lua. This is pretty hacky (not to mention how many exotics and uniques there actually are) which is why I don't use it: ideally we will get rid of this kind of functionality in the future.
When you say "this functionality", you mean the ability to command-swap to non-normal weapon with proper keybinding mischief?  Personally, the fact that it even works the way it does with normal weapons is something that I never would have assumed, and probably would have never discovered if I didn't read about it here simply because I never used to switch weapons that way.  So I wouldn't mind seeing the whole fast-switch thing going out the window for all weapons.

GrimmC

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2011, 09:33 »

Yes, it's been obvious to me that I could "modify" keybindings.lua to quick-swap anything I wanted, but I've always resisted the temptation. Why? Combined with juggler it's just too, too powerful. Pull out any gun at all zero seconds? Yeah okay.

I don't mind the current setup with the standard Doom weapons. It even adds a bit of strategy. Do you keep your exotic/unique in the prepared slot, or an ammo box? But we should probably alter keybindings.lua to limit it to the standard weapons, somehow.

Zalminen

• Elder
  • Sergeant Major
  • The Good, The Bad & The Random
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2011, 12:42 »

Juggler reduces the time to quick-equip to instant; Z-Swapping and Number-Equipping are therefore instant with Juggler. I do believe (although I could be mistaken) that Number-Equipping draws from the first eligible item in your inventory.

1 - Combat Knife
2 - Pistol
If number-equipping would actually draw from the inventory first, then you could always use 2-z-2 to equip two pistols and 1-z-1 to equip two knives. I checked and currently the second number-equip will just draw from the prepared slot so 2-z-2 will only equip one pistol...
Hell Baron Captain (0.9.9.6)
[25/19/9/0/0] m:25 sp:54 as:38

MarvinPA

• Private
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2011, 04:26 »

Yes, it's been obvious to me that I could "modify" keybindings.lua to quick-swap anything I wanted, but I've always resisted the temptation. Why? Combined with juggler it's just too, too powerful. Pull out any gun at all zero seconds? Yeah okay.

I don't mind the current setup with the standard Doom weapons. It even adds a bit of strategy. Do you keep your exotic/unique in the prepared slot, or an ammo box? But we should probably alter keybindings.lua to limit it to the standard weapons, somehow.
I always wondered why Juggler didn't just allow you to instantly swap to any weapon in your inventory for exactly this reason. Encouraging the player to save, edit keybindings, and reload whenever they find a new exotic or unique in order to make the most of a trait seems like a somewhat unfortunate design. Having it only work on the base weapons and their assemblies would be an alternative (but weirdly inconsistent) solution I guess.
Pages: [1]