Chaosforge Forum

• April 27, 2024, 10:08
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Easy picking up of ammo  (Read 5200 times)

gabba

• Elder
  • Private
    • View Profile
Easy picking up of ammo
« on: December 13, 2006, 23:01 »

I find akward the default controls and behavior for picking up ammo (g), and especially for unloading weapons lying on the ground (U) to get their ammo.

I always end up remapping the U key to t, that way at least the keys (g and t) to pick up stuff are together.

My suggestions:
1- Once you already have a weapon and it is fully loaded, the game should assume you just want the ammo if you issue a get (g) command over a similar weapon's square. If you really want a second weapon, you can always press g again - personally I never carry around two of the same weapon.
Unless we get to dual-wield pistols (advanced trait) in a future version? Or maybe a knife in one hand, a pistol in the other...

2-If you run over some ammo it should just auto-pickup (I suppose it takes time, so there should be no enemies in sight). But it should do that only if there's a slot in your inventory that's being used for a kind of ammo, but is not full. This way you still decide what to put in each inventory slot.

Malek Deneith

• Grand Inquisitor Emeritus
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
Re: Easy picking up of ammo
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2006, 00:37 »

Unless we get to dual-wield pistols (advanced trait) in a future version? Or maybe a knife in one hand, a pistol in the other...
Wa already can dual wield pistols... and dual wielding knives is on the way i think....
Inquisition - saving your soul, one bolter shell at a time.
Spoiler: "Hackmaster Kills" (click to show/hide)

Fingerzam

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2006, 02:55 »

Auto-pickup could be a disabled by default feature, though I really think it will just kill some marines, and it would just be annoying most of the time, since you'd have to either reconfig the ini file for correct ammo for every game you change your weapons, or have it collect all ammo, which would be really annoying.

Besides, you don't need to unload weapons that often, at least I don't do it for other weapons than chainguns most of the time, and not even those that often.

But I do pick up multiple weapons of the same type. Early in the game, if I'm going for shottyman, I carry multiple shotguns with me, and ditch 'em on the way when inventory space becomes more important. I also might want to carry multiple rocket launchers.

Malek Deneith

• Grand Inquisitor Emeritus
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2006, 05:16 »

And don't forget multiple BFG's and/or Plasma Rifles...
Inquisition - saving your soul, one bolter shell at a time.
Spoiler: "Hackmaster Kills" (click to show/hide)

malevol3nce

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2007, 19:18 »

Wa already can dual wield pistols... and dual wielding knives is on the way i think....
i've been trying to figure it out for a while... how do you do it? psh, it's my first rl, and I'm an amazing n00b with the controls.

Styro

• Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2007, 20:25 »

To dual-wield pistols in the Angel of Marksmanship game you have to go to the 'E'quipment screen and then press 'D' (if I remember correctly) for the secondary weapon slot. The game will then allow you to pick another weapon in your inventory to put in that slot.

In any normal game, you can just swap to your secondary slot with 'Z' and then equip a weapon there like normal (quick number keys or going to the inventory screen).
Arch-Vile Mjr General
[19/19/12/7/3]

Anticheese

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2007, 11:56 »

For number 1? We already have that. It's called Unloading.

Number 2? If there is anything that annoys me about out-of-the-box Nethack, It's the Autopickup. DoomRL should be no different. Remember that we only have a limited amount of backpack space and that people might actually not want it to happen. Also seeing as picking up anything takes a turn it would be a rather lethal feature to have.

"CHAARRGE!"

"Ooh! A penny!"

*BLAM*

BDR

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2007, 12:54 »

Anticheese, his original complaint was actually *about* unloading (he doesn't like that it's separate from getting ammo).

I do agree on number 2, though; I much prefer crawl's auto-pickup system (which is automatically disabled if there's an enemy in sight, though it is kind of annoying having to drop things I've id'ed as useless/worse already while using auto-explore).

TFoN

• Colonel
  • Gleefully antisocial!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2007, 11:50 »

I much prefer crawl's auto-pickup system (which is automatically disabled if there's an enemy in sight, though it is kind of annoying having to drop things I've id'ed as useless/worse already while using auto-explore).
The autopickup disabling's definable, and only for DCSS, AFAIR.
And you know, you can always disable autopickup (ctrl-a) before exploring ;) I think there's also a place on the configuration file to add *specific* items you want removed from the autopickup (initially disabled, containing ?ofRU).

Stone Soup's autopickup's set for jewelry and consumables (?, !, /, %). Linley's is set for the same minus %, which I find better, as I hate gathering the dead. Modding this to DoomRL, I'd say | and + are on the list.

However, DC's, compared with DoomRL, a very long game with dangers far between. There's little point in having autoactions in a game where every move counts (I don't use the DoomRL run commands for this reason), whereas in DC, not having them could create a manual pickup/move pattern that would likely get me killed sooner or later (ctrl-a when monster's are afoot's hardly mind-numbing, and I've recently discovered that running's often safer for me than manual one-by-ones (as I find specific placement to be less crucial in DC than in DoomRL, though a wasted turn walking in a bad direction due to bad reactions' a killer)).

BDR

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2007, 15:17 »

I don't actually have DCSS.. >_>  And telnet Crawl's problems are these:

1. The options file is a bit hard to edit.  I remember a little vi, but not much at all, and so I can never figure out how to get out of it without shutting down the telnet window and starting over (thus, I can't really edit anything there).

2. I'd prefer just being able to edit the options file to get a more precise fix on what I do/don't want to pickup automatically for a more streamlined play; without this I have to either constantly be pressing ctrl-a to switch it on/off, deal with pressing g constantly to get what I do want, or deal with dropping things I don't want, all of which involve a bit of hassle that I would prefer not to deal with...

Adral

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2007, 09:28 »

1. The options file is a bit hard to edit.  I remember a little vi, but not much at all, and so I can never figure out how to get out of it without shutting down the telnet window and starting over (thus, I can't really edit anything there).
It doesn't use vi anymore. Also, the maintainer is a really nice person, and can edit your files if you give her the configuration via e-mail (or so I've read in rgrm). A system to edit it via web is on the works, I think.

2. I'd prefer just being able to edit the options file to get a more precise fix on what I do/don't want to pickup automatically for a more streamlined play; without this I have to either constantly be pressing ctrl-a to switch it on/off, deal with pressing g constantly to get what I do want, or deal with dropping things I don't want, all of which involve a bit of hassle that I would prefer not to deal with...
You are able to do that, actually, if I remember correctly. Check for some help on the net ;)
Paranoia is a very comforting state of mind. If you think they're out to get you, it means you think you matter
Pages: [1]