Chaosforge Forum

• April 28, 2024, 11:16
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: A few mechanics questions and build discussion  (Read 4711 times)

HenWen

• Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
A few mechanics questions and build discussion
« on: March 04, 2012, 18:43 »

Hi,

I recently started playing again after the .9.9.6 update - it is beautiful!  The combination of mouse and tiles makes things easier.  Great work.

How do ammo chains/boxes in the quickslot work?  They seem to reduce reload time substantially - does anyone have an exact figure?

For armor / traits, which order are flat damage reduction and % reduction applied in?

The assault rifle assembly seems to have been changed to something more akin to the high power weapon schematic - something that works on  any weapon.  Does it set bullet dmg to 2d5 or is it a % increase on the previous bullet damage of the weapon?  Does it reduce the # of shots fired per burst by 50% or a flat number?  And the version I last played, it had a firing speed reduction to .8 - was this intentionally removed?

Some of the more subtle changes in the game I really like.  The new AI that doesn't cluster around the center seems better, less predictable and hence creates greater tension.  I like the MAc nerf and the general increase in ammo from ammo boxes, it makes non MAc non melee YAAM much more practical.  The new assemblies seem pretty balanced and usable.

So far I have just played on HMP with technicians.  I like the class system, but techs just seem much stronger than the other two classes for most purposes.  The tracking maps, whizkid bonuses, and item use bonuses are so powerful.  Of course, I have yet to try the other classes.  I think I want to try scout next, but I am not used to an active defense / dodging style.  Sure, its nice vs barons, but so many enemies fire multiple times per round or have non-dodgeable projectiles in the later levels.  Anyone have some scout or marine class builds they can recommend?

bardysya

• Lance Corporal
  • Kill the darkness, and shadows will disappear
    • View Profile
Re: A few mechanics questions and build discussion
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 19:08 »

So far I have just played on HMP with technicians.  I like the class system, but techs just seem much stronger than the other two classes for most purposes.  The tracking maps, whizkid bonuses, and item use bonuses are so powerful.  Of course, I have yet to try the other classes.  I think I want to try scout next, but I am not used to an active defense / dodging style.  Sure, its nice vs barons, but so many enemies fire multiple times per round or have non-dodgeable projectiles in the later levels.  Anyone have some scout or marine class builds they can recommend?
For marine build I advise build in ammochain or the Vampyre, because:
1) With ammochain you just can have a power battery with your plasmagun, or clear Spiders' Lair, and get infinite nuclaer plasma gun.
2) With Vampyre, you'll be able to regen almost withot using med-packs. Also, marines got 50(25) % bonus time for power-ups, so berserk or invulnerability would be quite long.
For scout build I advise Shottyhead and Gun Kata:
1) w/Shottyhead I had 0,2s attack speed with double shotgun, also I had juggler, that helped me very much. And you have hellrunner, which you can upgrade into Dodgemaster and Finesse - Whizkid.
2) w/Gun Kata you instantly reload your pistols after kill, then dodgemaster, also after succesful dodge you fire pistols almost no time, which helps you too.
So, choice is yours. I'm not saying how to play, I'm saying how I play.
0.9.9.3 Cyberdemon Warrant Officer 12/6/6/0/0
0.9.9.5 Cacodemon 1st Leutenant Md-14, Sp-54, As-28, B-21, S-15, G-10, P-1, D-0

shark20061

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 19:51 »

How do ammo chains/boxes in the quickslot work?  They seem to reduce reload time substantially - does anyone have an exact figure?
-80% reload time

For armor / traits, which order are flat damage reduction and % reduction applied in?
The resistance (% reduction) is applied first, then the protection is applied.

The assault rifle assembly seems to have been changed to something more akin to the high power weapon schematic - something that works on  any weapon.  Does it set bullet dmg to 2d5 or is it a % increase on the previous bullet damage of the weapon?  Does it reduce the # of shots fired per burst by 50% or a flat number?  And the version I last played, it had a firing speed reduction to .8 - was this intentionally removed?
Assault rifle can only be assembled from the chaingun.  Damage is 2d5, it fires two shots that each cost 2 ammo (so it spends 4 ammo per volley).  Firing speed is the normal 1.0s now.

Whoops, that did change some.  Let me go find out what it is now...

OK, assault rifle assembly works on any rapid fire weapon (chainguns, plasma rifles, and exotic counterparts).  The damage is +1 die, but -1 sides per die and 1/2 the shots (rounding up).  So Laser Rifle (1d7)x5 becomes (2d6)x3, Chaingun (1d6)x4 becomes (2d5)x2.  The part about shot cost stands, each shot uses 2 ammo.  As compensation, reload time is cut in half, and the weapon has +2 accuracy.  Firing speed is the same as the base weapon.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 20:04 by shark20061 »
Hell Knight Warrant Officer (0.9.9.4)  [26!/8/3/1/0]

Mancubus 2nd Lieutenant (0.9.9.6)  [22/12/3/0/0]
M:16 S:43 (126) A:17

spacedust

• Elder
  • First Sergeant
  • Ha-haa!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 20:19 »

As a recent scout convert, I feel it is my duty to tell you that Int 2 is the bestest trait, and that having it automatically turns you into the terminator with x-ray vision. Who wouldn't want that?

HenWen

• Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 23:17 »

Thanks for the comments all.

@ bardysya: I think I will have to try shottyhead.  I have played the other builds.  I am just a little bit concerned about the ammo consumption of shottyhead - the build seems to invite spamming the assault /combat shotgun at a distance to deal with tricky enemies, but shotgun shells don't go far at range.  I will have to try the focused double shotgun for ammo efficiency.

@ shark - thanks for the detailed numbers.  This could lead to some interesting possibilities - think assault minigun - (2d5) x 4, assault plasma rifle is an even more efficient version of the hyperblaster (2d4) x3 vs (2d6) x 3, assault nuclear plasma rifle is possibly the best though, since ammo conservation goes so far with that weapon, (2d5) x3.   I will have to give these a try some time.   

@ spacedust - I just completed a HMP run with a tech that went int2 after Mss.  I will admit I felt pretty overpowered.  Cleared the vaults without so much as a scratch.  5x SoG is just ludicrous - .1 firespeed.  The thing is that I prefer getting int after traits that make my character more powerful at range, to make radar shooting more powerful.  I guess even without radar shooting int2 can give you great tactical awareness. 

More questions - are move speed bonuses the same as dodge bonuses?  So does the scout start with an innate 20% dodge bonus?  When you play dodging characters, do you go for tactical armor, intermediate armor, or the heaviest you can wear? 

How often are shotgun builds forced to use other weapons to preserve ammo past the first 12-15 levels when fewer sergeants spawn?  I would think that unless you went MAd ammo consumption would be a problem still, just like my previous AoSh runs.  Do the new shell boxes make a big enough difference that this isn't the case?

My problem with shotgun characters is that, other than the BFG, other weapon categories tend to be of marginal use.  Chainguns and plasma are so inaccurate as to be kinda worthless to shotgun users I think, and obviously pistols are worthless without SoG.  Whereas with other weapon specializations, shotguns are very solid to conserve ammo and corner shoot without any talents allocated to them.  Then again, maybe I should try using the assault versions!  That would be the perfect chain fire weapon for an unskilled user.  Another option might be the missile launcher - I just hate destroying valuable items with indiscriminate rocket fire.  Any advice on conserving ammo with shotty builds? 

Some more changes I have noticed:

On the first level, phobos surface, either the formers use healthpacks without any message appearing on my screen or fewer healthpacks spawn on some of the maps.  In previous versions I could usually get to the healthpacks around the same time as the formers and shoot them so that they wouldn't pick them up.  This has made starting out a little more difficult.

Another change is the absence of the combat shotgun on the early levels.  I have beaten NM maybe once and UV maybe 4 times in previous versions, and the combat shotty was my savior in the early levels for almost any build.  Corner shooting with a regular shotgun may be viable vs. cacodemons or formers, but a regular shotgun is just too weak vs. early barons of hell or arachnotrons.  Any advice?  I guess that this difficulty increase is balanced by the new class bonuses, so it all works out.

Finally, the new lost souls are much scarier.  They seem significantly resistant to regular bullets, but NOT to shotguns.  A shotgun seems to almost always one shot them at short-medium range, while they can absorb upwards of 15 straight bullet damage.  Am I correct here?    I thought bullet resistance was the same thing as shotgun resistance. 
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 23:28 by HenWen »

ih8regin

• Major
  • You dodge! The Cyberdemon dies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 23:42 »

About lost souls - they've got 50% bullet resistance in some of the patches (0.9.9.5 IIRC) along with Revenants, that's why they are scary for a bullet shooter. And yes, a double shotty vs souls = a lot of blown up souls, if used at close range :)

Formers could use medpaks without a message appearing in case you don't see them doing that, say you knocked a former back out of visible range with a shotgun (AoS for example) and he used a medpak, you won't get the message. I have sometimes managed to hear the sound of them eating medpacks, a "woooom" like one, like when you take a powerup.
0.9.9.6: Cacodemon 2nd Lieutenant, wins 3|5|3|2|0, badges [22|17|7|1|0]
0.9.9.7: badges [21|17|17|10|1|wow,1], quest: UV each challenge (9/16)

shark20061

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 00:02 »

Let's see how much I can answer:

More questions - are move speed bonuses the same as dodge bonuses?  So does the scout start with an innate 20% dodge bonus?  When you play dodging characters, do you go for tactical armor, intermediate armor, or the heaviest you can wear? 

Move speed and dodge rate are not connected.  They are two separate benefits.  If you want dodge bonuses, you get them from three sources: Hellrunner trait (which specifically grants +15% dodge rate), Tactical Armor/Boots (they're identical, +10% dodge rate), and the Dodgemaster Advanced Trait (first dodge always works)

How often are shotgun builds forced to use other weapons to preserve ammo past the first 12-15 levels when fewer sergeants spawn?  I would think that unless you went MAd ammo consumption would be a problem still, just like my previous AoSh runs.  Do the new shell boxes make a big enough difference that this isn't the case?

My problem with shotgun characters is that, other than the BFG, other weapon categories tend to be of marginal use.  Chainguns and plasma are so inaccurate as to be kinda worthless to shotgun users I think, and obviously pistols are worthless without SoG.  Whereas with other weapon specializations, shotguns are very solid to conserve ammo and corner shoot without any talents allocated to them.  Then again, maybe I should try using the assault versions!  That would be the perfect chain fire weapon for an unskilled user.  Another option might be the missile launcher - I just hate destroying valuable items with indiscriminate rocket fire.  Any advice on conserving ammo with shotty builds? 

Shotgun ammo can be hard to come by later on, and while the shell boxes help a little, it's very easy to run out anyway if you don't take a bunch of stacks with you.  Personally, when I do a shotgun build, I carry a backup (chaingun, rocket launcher, and/or plasma rifle), but ammo shouldn't be a huge problem unless you're doing Ao100.  Accuracy isn't too much of an issue as long as you're firing at something you can see (and even if you can't, there's still a chance to hit), and agility mods are fairly easy to come by, especially if you do the special levels.

If you are running out of ammo for shotgun, and not doing Ao100, the two best places to get more ammo are Armory (guaranteed shell box, plus plenty of shells lying around), and Halls of Carnage (first section is chocked full of sergeants).  Note that Armory isn't available on ITYTD.

On the first level, phobos surface, either the formers use healthpacks without any message appearing on my screen or fewer healthpacks spawn on some of the maps.  In previous versions I could usually get to the healthpacks around the same time as the formers and shoot them so that they wouldn't pick them up.  This has made starting out a little more difficult.

There's no message if they use a health pack out of your line of sight, but you'll still hear the sound.  Whether you can get the packs fast enough depends on what difficulty you're on and whether or not a former stumbles into the entry room.  There's usually an enemy starting in that room on higher difficulties, which will make it tricky to get them before they take them and end up using it on themselves.

Another change is the absence of the combat shotgun on the early levels.  I have beaten NM maybe once and UV maybe 4 times in previous versions, and the combat shotty was my savior in the early levels for almost any build.  Corner shooting with a regular shotgun may be viable vs. cacodemons or formers, but a regular shotgun is just too weak vs. early barons of hell or arachnotrons.  Any advice?  I guess that this difficulty increase is balanced by the new class bonuses, so it all works out.

Regular shotgun with SoB and Reloader (my usual first and second traits for a shotty build) tend to work pretty well.  While the combat shotgun helps, it's really only good for the first 4 shots.  Once you've emptied it, it's now a slightly weaker regular shotgun (unless you assemble something with it *coughcoughtacticalshotguncough* :P )

Finally, the new lost souls are much scarier.  They seem significantly resistant to regular bullets, but NOT to shotguns.  A shotgun seems to almost always one shot them at short-medium range, while they can absorb upwards of 15 straight bullet damage.  Am I correct here?    I thought bullet resistance was the same thing as shotgun resistance. 

Lost Souls take half damage from bullets (and only 25% from fire).  Bullet and Shrapnel (Shotgun) resistance are separate resistances.
Hell Knight Warrant Officer (0.9.9.4)  [26!/8/3/1/0]

Mancubus 2nd Lieutenant (0.9.9.6)  [22/12/3/0/0]
M:16 S:43 (126) A:17

AlterAsc

• Supporter
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 02:18 »

it's now a slightly weaker regular shotgun
that's not exactly true.It does have less damage dices but it's blast is focused,so i'd still prefer it over basic shotgun.
On the first level
Tips:try using running tactics(you'll still be late though) and timing your attacks - formers have speed around 70%, so you can shoot twice and kill him before he gets chance to use medpack.Though it's just a theory, i'm too lazy to do it(all this counting) myself.
Any advice on conserving ammo with shotty builds?
Army of the Dead trait is the best solution.
Don't try to kill the enemy when he's far away.Elephant gun is the most efficient shotgun.I advice against trying for 100% kills(especially on higher difficulties) unless you have MAD.
I thought bullet resistance was the same thing as shotgun resistance. 
No.Also you can see your resistances to each type of damage on equipment screen.
(0.9.9.6 - ?) Arch-Vile Chaos Lt. Colonel [26|20|18|16|12|2]

spacedust

• Elder
  • First Sergeant
  • Ha-haa!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2012, 03:34 »

Agreed about elephant gun - hands down my favourite shotgun. For the price of PP you get the ultimate in terms of boomstick efficiency.

This may sound a little silly, but if you do a scout/shottyhead/int build, and you engage in corner shooting, wait for them to come closer before shooting them. You can see where exactly they are so just wait till they come real close. For example, when clearing the Vaults, if you see a pink asterisk further off, wait till it gets near (like 2 tiles away), then unload into its face. You get a lot more damage per shell that way. Arachs die really quickly when close up, but can take a lot of shells if you're shooting at the edge of vision.

ZicherCZ

• Chaos Knight
  • Supporter of Chaos
  • Brigadier General
  • YADJHG - Yet Another Dead JupiterHellGuy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2012, 08:27 »

Agreed about elephant gun - hands down my favourite shotgun. For the price of PP you get the ultimate in terms of boomstick efficiency.

This may sound a little silly, but if you do a scout/shottyhead/int build, and you engage in corner shooting, wait for them to come closer before shooting them. You can see where exactly they are so just wait till they come real close. For example, when clearing the Vaults, if you see a pink asterisk further off, wait till it gets near (like 2 tiles away), then unload into its face. You get a lot more damage per shell that way. Arachs die really quickly when close up, but can take a lot of shells if you're shooting at the edge of vision.
That's a good advice, not silly at all.
But you have to know when knockback will kick in. You don't want to stand up lamping in Baron's face just because you pulled the trigger a turn too late.
DoomRL 0.997: Cyberdemon Brigadier General - Games: 217, Wins: 2/5/3/6/0, Medals: 18, Specials: 64, Asm: 39, Badges: 19/17/16/5/1/Are you kidding?
Jupiter Hell: Inner Circle - first tech build reached and working

HenWen

• Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2012, 09:54 »

Ok another question - SoB and shotguns.  Is the +1 damage applied before, or after, the percentage-based reduction in damage?  E.g. combat shotgun at 5 squares distance -(7d3 + 1) * 65% or  (7d3 * 65%) +1?

Based on experience it seems like the for but I would like to know for sure.
Pages: [1]