Chaosforge Forum

• April 26, 2024, 04:53
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: The Wall  (Read 2713 times)

Sradac

• Corporal
    • View Profile
The Wall
« on: March 26, 2012, 00:42 »

I'm trying for the 100% of visited levels cleared badge, and so far I can not get past The Wall.  Which is odd because I usually dont have that much trouble.  Im thinking its because taking down the arena master uses up so much of my armor / medpacks that I just dont have the resources by the time I get there and its still early in the game so cant really stock up that well.

Tried, Shotgun, Pistol, Chainfire, and "generalist" builds and I just cant do it.  I can usually get the barons/knights outside the room taken out ok, but after them Im either out of medkits, armor, or rockets and just cant quite clear them out.  Suggestions?  Also...how the heck do you guys do the unholy cathedral now that I think about it?  Does this badge pretty much have to be done in angel of berserk since you have to melee that place?  If so...that leaves the mortuary lolol....

ih8regin

• Major
  • You dodge! The Cyberdemon dies.
    • View Profile
Re: The Wall
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 01:16 »

Several tips about The Wall from a newbie:

1. CORNERSHOOT! Get as many shotgun shells as you're able to. Wreck the Wall somewhere at the top just to make them start pouring out. Radar scout with shotgun (this means, shoot into the darkness and listen if hit something - even a single hit will result in 1 damage and an angry ROAR), and back out to the point where you can cornershoot anything that will get out. The trouble is if you will end up with more than two B's getting at you, this way they will squeeze themselves out of the wall you're hugging, and the more distant B will have a line of fire at you - then duck and abandon this corner, and start run-and-gun, thankfully shotguns always hit.

2. Also, if you have a spare rocket, make a dent at another place in the Wall (not a whole passage, but merely a 1-tile dent) to have a backup cornershoot position to retreat to.

3. Use combat shotgun or plain shotgun to cornershoot, but if the B's will come as close as here:
Code: [Select]
..B...
####@.
aka knight's move from you, have a DS ready (if you have one of course) and blast at them, they will likely fly 3-4 squares back or die. (Speaking about V's there, I yet have to play normal game on UV to tackle The Wall).

4. You can cornershoot with other weapons than shotgun, but they will have a big chance to miss. So bring a pistol alongside yourself in case of not having enough shells, to plink at then barons while they are barely visible while you're hugging the wall. You can aim at a baron of hell if you know where it stands (or predict its movement if it's coming at you, if you don't have Int2) by pressing "f" and targetting a desired square manually. Tedious, but doable.
0.9.9.6: Cacodemon 2nd Lieutenant, wins 3|5|3|2|0, badges [22|17|7|1|0]
0.9.9.7: badges [21|17|17|10|1|wow,1], quest: UV each challenge (9/16)

N o i r

• Backer
  • Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 03:16 »

Pretty much what he said. With a T-modded shotty and 1-2 ranks in Reloader you should be fine. I cleared it at UV for the first time and had little trouble, even without the extra dent as a backup corner shoot gallery.
But yes, bring AT LEAST a good hundred of shells.

AlterAsc

• Supporter
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 04:21 »

Also...how the heck do you guys do the unholy cathedral now that I think about it?  Does this badge pretty much have to be done in angel of berserk since you have to melee that place?  If so...that leaves the mortuary lolol....
There's no rule that forbids you from taking melee-oriented traits in standard game.
Since you talked about Barons in CC earlier, that means you're playing on UV.100% kill rate and all cleared levels before UC takes you to lvl11-12.Which is enough to take desired master trait and Berserker trait.Pick chainsaw, get some armor and 1-2 large medpacks and UC is easy.Also there's hatred skull , outrunning AoD, random good melee armor, finding DS and so on.
(0.9.9.6 - ?) Arch-Vile Chaos Lt. Colonel [26|20|18|16|12|2]

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Twisted passages carry the smell of dapperness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 06:12 »

...or you can try a fully melee build in a standard game. If you don't play AoB, you can use shotguns in the early game and transition to full melee in the chained court. Melee game is quite powerful right now, I'd recommend vampyre build, which takes advantage of marine's bonuses (longer zerk from zerk packs, more HP).

Even mortuary is not too hard with a melee build, though if you are indeed playing on UV, everything will be quite a challenge.
Arch-Vile Mjr General [24/19/18/8/2] (0.9.9.7)

Quote from: thelaptop
Dude... we need to change your forum handle from "Klear" to "Klear Nukem".

Sradac

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 08:43 »

im on HMP actually, the knights/barons i refered to are the ones outside the room with the backpack in the wall.

All good points though, will have to try them out.

Ashannar

• Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
  • Shottyhead Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 01:42 »

I just attempted the wall for the second time on UV. First time I passed it with no problems. First two monsters through the breach were the Arch-Viles, and the rest were considerate enough to approach me in a spread out manner.

This time.. A flood of everything poured through the breach immediately.. a group of 3-4 barons and a vile. I killed 2 of the barons before they raided my corner, but they got revived. Then I had to go to my backup tactical position, but a very bad baron missile made all hell break loose. I'm not really sure what I could have done, other than just exit the level instead of retreat to the backup.

Granted, I'm a total noob when it comes to gibbing corpses. I probably could have done better if I had bothered with it.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 01:43 by Ashannar »
Hell Baron Major (0.9.9.7) 22 18 12 1 0 0

skarczew

• Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2012, 04:23 »

This time.. A flood of everything poured through the breach immediately.. a group of 3-4 barons and a vile. I killed 2 of the barons before they raided my corner, but they got revived. Then I had to go to my backup tactical position, but a very bad baron missile made all hell break loose. I'm not really sure what I could have done, other than just exit the level instead of retreat to the backup.
It is useful to have bullet-based weapon, as shotguns in the darkness are too loud and too many monsters want to have a hug with you afterwards.

Make the hole up or down and lure single monster (once it gets into your sight). After killing it (the body should be next to the wall) dispose the body with RL.
A lot of things depend on the build / challenge, but it is pretty possible without using too much healing - I used to do it on UV/AoI even.
Pages: [1]