Chaosforge Forum

• June 03, 2024, 19:58
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Safety mode  (Read 2335 times)

Matt_S

• Elder
  • Major
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
Safety mode
« on: March 31, 2012, 15:59 »

Ahh, the core of what I want, as discussed here.  I want to be able to press a key to turn on a "safety mode", and then the game would require prompt you to press enter to continue whenever I would do something that would cause the game to stop auto-running (except walking over items or by doors), such as when trying to step on a lava square or when an enemy comes into view.  Then after acknowledging the prompt it kicks you out of safety mode and you can step into the lava or fight the enemy or continue reloading or whatever.  It probably should let you walk on lava and acid just fine if you're immune, but then it should stop you if you have an envirosuit/invincibility that is about to run out (assuming that's the only reason you're immune, and perhaps auto-running in general should work like this).

Just to be perfectly clear: it would provide pretty much the same safety features as auto-running/mouse traveling.  Like how auto-run won't make you walk into lava if that's where you're heading, safety mode will prompt you if you attempt that.  Like how auto-run will stop when you see an enemy, safety mode will prompt you when an enemy appears.  It doesn't play the game for you, it doesn't save you from fighting a sergeant while standing next to a barrel, it doesn't save you from reloading a minigun while surrounded by barons, and it doesn't affect you if you don't press the key to turn it on.  We have an option to require a prompt if the user attempts to fire without any ammo, so that they won't accidentally walk when they wanted to shoot.  I think this is basically the same principle.

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
Re: Safety mode
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 18:13 »

I could do that... by default ON on ITYTD, optional on HNTR-UV, and unavailable on N! (*evil grin*)
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Matt_S

• Elder
  • Major
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 23:56 »

Just to make sure we're on the same page with what I mean, I don't mean for this as something that is turned in in the config file, but something that's activated and deactivated from within the game as the player wants it.

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
  • High Caliber Consecrator
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2012, 00:29 »

I've been following the discussion thread as well, and though I don't agree with most of the requests, I don't see the point in arguing: if features that I don't want to use get implemented, I simply don't use them.

Currently however, most of my games are ITYTD, which is a good enough playground for getting to know the game as is. If you want to rush into danger, you'll probably sneer at this difficulty level. Putting Safety Mode 'auto on' in ITYTD makes this difficulty level a joke instead of a learning curve. Auto on would be fine for a 3-level tutorial for example, but not for a full-fledged (albeit very easy) standard game mode.
Or maybe you could include the option in the ini, same as the hints.
[0.9.9.7G] Current: Hell Knight 1st Lieutenant [20/12/4/0/0/0]
High: Arch-Vile Lt. Colonel [25/21/12/2/1/0]

Creepy

• First Sergeant
  • Duelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2012, 03:47 »

I could do that... by default ON on ITYTD, optional on HNTR-UV, and unavailable on N! (*evil grin*)

Christ no, turn it OFF by default. I don't want to have to go out of my way to tell the game that I really mean what I'm pushing on ANY difficulty. If people want the game to require double the keystrokes a bunch of actions the game is gonna require, let them turn that on themselves. I don't like the idea of an "ANNOY ME" mode that I have to go out of my way to turn off.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 04:16 by Creepy »
Formerly Hell Knight Warrant Officer [16|7|5|1|0]
Currently Cacodemon 2nd Lieutenant [18|10|3|0|0]
Current Goal: ???
Pages: [1]