Chaosforge Forum

• May 12, 2024, 09:05
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Usability/consistency improvements  (Read 8035 times)

ulyssessword

• Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
Usability/consistency improvements
« on: April 11, 2012, 22:27 »

I believe that the following changes would improve my enjoyment of this game:

1. Allow mouseover information on objects that are out of line of sight, instead of just "out of sight".  It is obvious to experienced players what most things are most of the time, but learning the object sprites should not be required to play optimally (if you don't mind taking the time to examine things).  This would also help when invincible/berserk/enviropacked.

2. Either remove full reload, or give me a reason to use it (eg. faster reloading).  Currently, it is a death trap for the lazy, unwary, or inexperienced, and has no tactical value that I can see.  Not only does it reduce your reaction time, it also takes longer that reloading one by one.  (Actually, almost none; it might be able to be used to extend action-based timed effects such as Invulnerability over a longer time.) 

3. Make invulnerability globes immune to damage on the floor.  I can deal with health globes etc. getting destroyed by explosions, but this seems weird.
EDIT: maybe not.  Also, this point is out of the theme set by the others, so feel free to ignore it.

4. Allow higher tier badges to substitute in for lower ones for skill rank requirements.  I had 2 gold badges and 4 or silver badges before I got the 9 bronze badges required for Sergeant rank. 

5. (not 100% sure about the mechanics of this one...) Change the way manual aiming works.  Currently, it is a bad idea to aim directly at an enemy, unless you are using Gun Kata.  This is because (at least some) enemies can dodge, causing you to shoot at a spot without an enemy on it, and this can be avoided by shooting behind the enemy instead. 

6. +1 to the suggestions that Juggler not treat pressing a hotkey differently from equipping normally,  enhanced AoE displays for explosives and shotguns, more visible rocket launcher sprite, and more easily accessible level feeling.

EDIT: 7. Change knockback direction calculations, so that enemies are always knocked along the path of the shot, especially if you are aiming straight at them.  This would prevent one shot of a Storm Bolter Pistol from pushing an enemy out of the line of fire of the second shot (or first shot of a GCB making the next 5 miss...)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 20:18 by ulyssessword »
Hell Baron Warrant Officer
[17/6/4/0/0]

AlterAsc

• Supporter
  • Major
    • View Profile
Re: Usability/consistency improvements
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 04:09 »

3.Nono, just when i remember frustration from having it destroyed and me dying afterwards i definitely don't want it indestructible.
5.Not ure about G-version, but in console version when you aim at the tile with the enemy and he moves your aim will move after him.Also enemies can't dodge, only you can.
(0.9.9.6 - ?) Arch-Vile Chaos Lt. Colonel [26|20|18|16|12|2]

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Twisted passages carry the smell of dapperness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 04:57 »

1. I second that. I hate it when I'm invulnerable/zerked/whatever and can't find out which of the exits I desperately need to reach leads to down and which to a special level (mortuary more often than not).

2. I believe that is already being worked on.

3. I don't think invulnerability globes should be exempt, but it is kinda weird that indestructible armours can be destroyed easily when not worn. It would be nice if armour durability was lowered instead and destruction would happen only after it's depleted. On the other hand, even indestructible armour should be destroyed by dengerous fluids, since what good is that onxy armour when it's covered in acid on the inside?
It would be possibly too hard to implement, though.

4. If you are getting gold badges, getting bronze badges that you need should be very very easy. However, I might change my mind once I wipe my stats after some future update.
Arch-Vile Mjr General [24/19/18/8/2] (0.9.9.7)

Quote from: thelaptop
Dude... we need to change your forum handle from "Klear" to "Klear Nukem".

Ander Hammer

• Elder
  • Major
  • burst laser rifle (2d10)x7 [80/80] (H1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 10:10 »

1. Sure.

2. I think full reloads are actually slower than one-by-one by a fraction of a second. Their sole reason for existence cannot be to slow the expiry of effects.

3. What? No. Invul spheres are artifacts activated on pickup. They aren't actually invulnerable themselves.

4. Sure, though I think the whole badge system needs (is getting?) some remodeling.

5. What? The only thing I can think of here is that you're knocking them out of your line of fire by doing too much damage.

6. Sure.
Hell Baron Major
[25|20|11|2|0]
Quest: bronzes/silvers i guess
[Inferno] ITYTD Win

ulyssessword

• Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 10:35 »

re #5 (enemies dodging shots).  I just double checked, and it appears that enemies can dodge shots.  Either that, or else there is a graphics bug that causes it to appear that it happens.  Their AI does not cause them to deliberately avoid shots, though they still can do it, randomly, especially if you have light-amp goggles.

Also, for my badge situation: getting the rest of the required bronze badges was quite easy once I tried to get them, though it took a while due to experimenting with ineffective builds.
[17/6/4/0/0]

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
  • High Caliber Consecrator
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 11:37 »

Their AI does not cause them to deliberately avoid shots, though they still can do it, randomly, especially if you have light-amp goggles.

I don't think it's a matter of dodging, but simply of you missing the shot. I'd have to check, but I think your to hit chance decreases over a longer range (makes sense, too), which explains why it happens more often when you have enemies at your (extended) FOV.
[0.9.9.7G] Current: Hell Knight 1st Lieutenant [20/12/4/0/0/0]
High: Arch-Vile Lt. Colonel [25/21/12/2/1/0]

AlterAsc

• Supporter
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 11:56 »

The enemies can't dodge.Only you can http://doom.chaosforge.org/wiki/Dodging
And dodging is not the same as missing shot.Everyone(well shotguns and MRV can't) can miss.

ulyssessword

• Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2012, 12:44 »

No, enemies can dodge.  My bullet hit a tile that I was not aiming at; it did not simply pass through the enemy, missing it.

EDIT: it is quite easy to test, and see for yourself.  I noticed it most when enemies walk around a corner, you will sometimes shoot the wall beside them instead.  (at least with my char with the trigun, in Ao100)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 12:50 by ulyssessword »
[17/6/4/0/0]

AlterAsc

• Supporter
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2012, 13:47 »

Well, it never happened to me.By divine power my missiles fly exactly where i aim.

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2012, 14:10 »

No, enemies can dodge.  My bullet hit a tile that I was not aiming at; it did not simply pass through the enemy, missing it.

EDIT: it is quite easy to test, and see for yourself.  I noticed it most when enemies walk around a corner, you will sometimes shoot the wall beside them instead.  (at least with my char with the trigun, in Ao100)
If you were playing this on Graphics mode, I would recommend trying it on ASCII mode.  Something tells me that it is the odd LOS behaviour you are describing -- it is easier to see it in ASCII mode since the entire trajectory is shown, unlike in Graphics mode where only the targetting reticle is seen.
I computed, therefore I was.

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Local Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2012, 14:28 »

The fact that you can aim in the path of an enemy instead of directly at an enemy in order to get around the chance to dodge is more an exploit than anything else. I'd expect a fix to this rather than an easier method to abuse it.

The knockback-missile pathing is a known bug which will definitely be fixed.

Badge system's getting an overhaul, so your point might be moot by the time we finish figuring out what the overhaul actually is.

EDIT: I can't read code derp
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 15:02 by Game Hunter »
I'm just a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude.

Latest LPs: Angband, Delver

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2012, 14:58 »

Um. Enemies CAN'T dodge.
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Local Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2012, 15:01 »

Um. Enemies CAN'T dodge.
Oh, right, derp. Man, I keep forgetting that very first line of the code. Maybe we should allow enemies the ability to dodge, but just turn it off in the base-game? Seems like dodging enemies could be a cool gimmick for modders.
I'm just a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude.

Latest LPs: Angband, Delver

Malek Deneith

• Grand Inquisitor Emeritus
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2012, 15:39 »

@bullet htting tile it wasn't aimed at - to be honest I saw it a few times myself, in ASCII mode. It's really, really rare and I can't seem to notice any reason why it is happening but it's there. It's actually pretty noticable since the bullet seems to go waaay off the route it should go.
Inquisition - saving your soul, one bolter shell at a time.
Spoiler: "Hackmaster Kills" (click to show/hide)

Creaphis

• Backer
  • First Sergeant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2012, 18:36 »

@bullet htting tile it wasn't aimed at - to be honest I saw it a few times myself, in ASCII mode. It's really, really rare and I can't seem to notice any reason why it is happening but it's there. It's actually pretty noticable since the bullet seems to go waaay off the route it should go.

I've also seen this. My impression was that, even though monsters can't dodge, sometimes when a bullet is calculated to miss its target its trajectory is shown on screen as if that monster dodged it (ie. the bullet flies toward the monster's last location instead of its current one).
Pages: [1] 2  All