Chaosforge Forum

• May 03, 2024, 03:56
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 35

Author Topic: [OOC Thread] The Lesser of Two Heresies.  (Read 144578 times)

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
  • High Caliber Consecrator
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
Re: [looking for volunteers] The Lesser of Two Heresies.
« Reply #90 on: May 29, 2012, 10:03 »

By the way, I'd like to stress that I'm not saying this stuff to annoy you. I'm trying to get a feel for the background (I've never played 40K before, just picked up some random stuff from others) and if something happens that I think is unlikely, I'll simply say so. You'll never catch me saying "I am right" or "You are wrong" when it comes this. I want you to do the same with me, because if there's anything that can be really frustrating story-wise, it's false expectations.

Just so you'd know.
[0.9.9.7G] Current: Hell Knight 1st Lieutenant [20/12/4/0/0/0]
High: Arch-Vile Lt. Colonel [25/21/12/2/1/0]

Silhar

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Brigadier General
  • Get psyched!
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 29, 2012, 11:16 »

The GM comes to clear some things up, because we are a little bit messed up here, from what I see.

First things first.
I asked you to write posts not describing any actions in THIS thread. So...

Darn, you awarded Klear 50 exp for something I thought about as well :/

And hey, why not? Computers exist around(and you cannot deny that - I know a bit more than nothing about WH40K world), so I thought that there muse be... well, not Internet but rather some kind of database network around to hack in and search there. I can of course bet that Inquisitors try to get rid of any information about them in theese kinds of databases, but hey, still worth a try.
Some tech that provides means of quick signal travel also exists most probably - if not, how'd you think a single commander would be able to somewhat quickly operate a large army of Space Marines on the battlefield? Radio? Most probably. But hey, it's possible to build a kind of internet using radio(lol).
And the fact that we are on a spaceship doesn't mean anything. Relays can exist here as well. Spaceships ARE able to communicate with each other in midflight. Somehow.
But honestly, that doesn't matter much, since I've failed my Int roll and turned to be not smart enough to be able to use Google.

Jesus, Mary and Joseph, what the hell is THIS?!

Second one coming up.
I think we are a little bit unclear on the game's universe. Let me explain.
The 41st millenium is when man is surrounded by technology - but this makes him feel lost and supressed. The Imperium is vast and overcrowded. No wonder that we took a great fall if it comes to education and common knowledge. We even got people to believe that machines have souls within them! The majority of Imperial citizens is illiterate. Simple farmers only know how to operate tractors - wrong! How to appease the iron bull's spirit and convince him to harvest! - but nothing more. There is no Internet, there is no global network - hell, people are so poor that only those at higher places can afford "thinking machines", and even those have no idea how things work!
There is no Pentagon. There is no Facebook - what do you expect, maybe the Old Man, The Emperor himself has his own Facebook page, with status reports like "still sittin' on tha damn golden throne" over and over?
To keep things short and simple - imagine Imperium of Man as a vast land of advanced technology and pure Dark Ages mindset. People are close-minded and afraid of anything that is new to them. Since most of them don't even leave their homeland till the day they die, everything is new to them.
Then there's a note to HexaDoken - your character is a feral worlder. What does that mean? Well, pretty much that you were born in some backwater jungle among tribal people, you might believe in ancestors, maybe wear bones of fallen enemies or believe that orange is the color of danger and disaster, or even bow only to the rule of the strongest. You are as prejudiced as man can be. They took you from your bushes and put you right in the world of metal birds and magic sticks spitting flame. You are tensed, afraid and unsure. Forget your internet-surfing thing, this just doesn't fit the mood. Thank you.
You might have that PDA of yours, of course - but it is nothing more than a strange decoration for you. I suppose it doesn't even work.

Third one - I have no feedback from Tavana for now, but my girlfriend is currently pondering on joining our crew. The thing is, she is kinda sceptic and unsure if her language skills are well enough.

That's all for now.

Ah, BTW. We had some mechanical issues there. Yeah, if you want to tinker with some shiny tech-gizmos, you need Tech-Use (Int), which is an Advanced Skill. This means you can't roll checks if you don't have it (Hive World people have it better because they count Tech-Use as basic, so they can roll it even being unskilled, with half their Int, rounded down.

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #92 on: May 29, 2012, 11:22 »

I asked you to write posts not describing any actions in THIS thread. So...

Jesus, Mary and Joseph, what the hell is THIS?!

Stuff happening around or because of our actions, I guess. It's not IC/in-game stuff, anyhow...

You might have that PDA of yours, of course - but it is nothing more than a strange decoration for you. I suppose it doesn't even work.

Now there's an interesting plot device... Have it suddenly play Beethoven's Fifth when we're lying in ambush or something :)

Silhar

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Brigadier General
  • Get psyched!
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 29, 2012, 11:41 »

Now there's an interesting plot device... Have it suddenly play Beethoven's Fifth when we're lying in ambush or something :)

Lucky, you had to spoil my plans, hadn't ya? :P

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #94 on: May 29, 2012, 12:22 »

I've seen my fair share of sneaky GMs with evil surprises.

Most of these GMs were me, mind you.

HexaDoken

• Sergeant
  • The Shotgun Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 30, 2012, 23:02 »

Ooookay okay okay, failed that, okay. Let me just cut it out and pretend that never happened :P

But I still have to disagree about something. My character is feral worlder. Does that mean that I was born in a jungle or something, countless parsecs away from civilization? Pretty much yes. Does that mean that I am some idiot who believes in shaman rituals? NO.
I was BORN in feral world. But I didn't live there all the way up til' this very moment of story. I live in this sort of civilization for quite a while, and it is quite possible that I got used to it all, and I changed. Would I be surprized to see a feral worlder easily operating with machinery, knowing that this guy arrived to civilization like three days ago? Pretty much damn yes. Would I be surprized to see the same picture, but knowing that this feral worlder already spent a nice share of time living with technology? Not at all. Life changes people, ya know?

But note about Dark Aeg of Technology taken. I'll just cut that PDA out of story.
2nd Lieutenant Hell Baron, Body Count: 43879
Wins:[1|7|1|0|0] Deaths: [7|90|26|16|2] Badges:[18|10|4|0|0]
Highest Score: 214763
Currently Doing: AoB HNTR

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Twisted passages carry the smell of dapperness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 31, 2012, 02:40 »

Hmmm... I disappear for almost two days and still no new development... At least I didn't miss anything.
Arch-Vile Mjr General [24/19/18/8/2] (0.9.9.7)

Quote from: thelaptop
Dude... we need to change your forum handle from "Klear" to "Klear Nukem".

Silhar

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Brigadier General
  • Get psyched!
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 31, 2012, 03:19 »

Ooookay okay okay, failed that, okay. Let me just cut it out and pretend that never happened :P

But I still have to disagree about something. My character is feral worlder. Does that mean that I was born in a jungle or something, countless parsecs away from civilization? Pretty much yes. Does that mean that I am some idiot who believes in shaman rituals? NO.
I was BORN in feral world. But I didn't live there all the way up til' this very moment of story. I live in this sort of civilization for quite a while, and it is quite possible that I got used to it all, and I changed. Would I be surprized to see a feral worlder easily operating with machinery, knowing that this guy arrived to civilization like three days ago? Pretty much damn yes. Would I be surprized to see the same picture, but knowing that this feral worlder already spent a nice share of time living with technology? Not at all. Life changes people, ya know?

But note about Dark Aeg of Technology taken. I'll just cut that PDA out of story.

Listen up. I am not much of a psychologist, but even to me it is obvious that your childhood, your place of birth and all that affects your character. Also, you couldn't just leave this place (if not the inquisition, perhaps), because how would you afford it? Space travel in WH40k is not something anybody can have.
Also, believing in shamanism is not idiocy. It's just an another opinion about the world, maybe right somewhere, maybe wrong somewhere else, but not entirely wrong.

Klear: I've been a little busy. Will try to fix that today, provided I have an opportunity to do so.

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #98 on: May 31, 2012, 03:24 »

Klear: I've been a little busy. Will try to fix that today, provided I have an opportunity to do so.

Yay! Feed us!

HexaDoken

• Sergeant
  • The Shotgun Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 31, 2012, 11:04 »

Hey, this is my character after all. I realize that I derped with PDA, but I don't want my character to be affected by such things as "hey lol u feral worlder u fear machinery". As told before, I only chose feral world because it fit the most for my character set... but not quite.

On a completely unregarded note, believing in shamanism is not idiocy, yes. Besides, keyword in that sentence was "I'm not an idiot", not "I do not believe in shamanism and therefore I'm not an idiot" or something.

Also, you couldn't just leave this place (if not the inquisition, perhaps), because how would you afford it? Space travel in WH40k is not something anybody can have.

Hmm... let me see. I am a skilled mercerenary who spent most of his life doing all kinds of dangerous work. Perhaps, I caught someone who carried absurdly huge amount of money for no particular reason, sneaked up, backstabbed him, took the money and run away pretending that nothing ever happened?
You know, that might actually work. At least once. It's not that I space travel each day after all.
2nd Lieutenant Hell Baron, Body Count: 43879
Wins:[1|7|1|0|0] Deaths: [7|90|26|16|2] Badges:[18|10|4|0|0]
Highest Score: 214763
Currently Doing: AoB HNTR

Sylith

« Reply #100 on: May 31, 2012, 11:41 »

Third one - I have no feedback from Tavana for now, but my girlfriend is currently pondering on joining our crew. The thing is, she is kinda sceptic and unsure if her language skills are well enough.
This is me. Hi, I'll try to be nice! ^^

@Hexa.
Protip: "Dear GM, is there any way I could have this?" might give you answer like "yes, maybe if..."
"No, this is my character, he know this, he have this, I want it!" will give you "NO."
;) [<-- I'm doing my best, see? :3]

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #101 on: May 31, 2012, 11:54 »

This is me. Hi, I'll try to be nice! ^^

Hi, and welcome. As you showed, Silhar has already told us about you. I'm very curious as to what you will be able to bring to the game. Enjoy!

I only chose feral world because it fit the most for my character set... but not quite.

You're right in thinking that not everything in your background has to be stereotypical, but it's also not preferable to stray too far from the concept. In this case, however, I think it can also be said that you have two worlds of origin: the one you were born on and the one you 'woke up' on after your amnesia kicked in good. I think you woke up on a feral world, but were probably born on an imperial or hive world, which would explain a lot. How does that sound?

*stuff about space travel* You know, that might actually work. At least once. It's not that I space travel each day after all.

This is indeed the spirit: if you can make a good story out of unlikely or seemingly impossible things, you can add some real inspired pieces to your background. And as you also already noted yourself, best not to make too much of these strange developments appear.

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 31, 2012, 12:08 »

@Sylith

Hi! I hope you enjoy it here.

@HexaDoken

You know, I'm beginning to regret that I didn't think of making a primitive superstitious character - think Sulik from Fallout 2. Sounds like fun to roleplay. Maybe after my MkLear's inevitable demise...

Silhar

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Brigadier General
  • Get psyched!
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 31, 2012, 16:29 »

Behold, my childer, for the wall of text arose before thee!

And now, we have some matters to settle. Don't we?

HexaDoken. I see what you did there. Your character's vision is straying far from what you did get. How about you caught me on IRC and we talked it through? I'll help you make another one, better fitting your needs. No penalties, no bullshit, just making a character you would like to play. So?
And... yeah, sorry if I've been too offensive or too strict. Just remember that every matter can be settled if approached softly. Alright?

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 31, 2012, 16:41 »

Behold, my childer, for the wall of text arose before thee!

Going to sleep now, but I'm sure to ponder the reply for some time. So many questions... I just wonder if some of them are best left unasked.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 35