Chaosforge Forum

• April 28, 2024, 11:56
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 35

Author Topic: [OOC Thread] The Lesser of Two Heresies.  (Read 144298 times)

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
  • High Caliber Consecrator
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
Re: [OOC Thread] The Lesser of Two Heresies.
« Reply #210 on: June 13, 2012, 12:16 »

No problem, by now I've sort of guessed you have your brain in the right place ;)

I'm serious about my post though: not being able to swiftly respond to each other or to handle/settle things in order of appearance/chronology is a major drawback of this style of play - speaking as someone with 17 years of face-to-face RPG experience.

In this case, since our actions didn't overlap - I was looking for something useful to confiscate by showing my badge, seeing how far I could take being an agent - there's indeed no problem whatsoever. Once we have two or more players aiming for the same objective (or intertwined ones), we need to be realistic about this, or true to the setting at least.

But I know you'll all agree with me on this, so... just unnecessarily elaborating on my point, I guess. And I wanted you to know what I was planning, since MkLear and Hex would probably have hated my guts for it :))
[0.9.9.7G] Current: Hell Knight 1st Lieutenant [20/12/4/0/0/0]
High: Arch-Vile Lt. Colonel [25/21/12/2/1/0]

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Twisted passages carry the smell of dapperness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: June 13, 2012, 12:23 »

I suppose you could still go ahead with the plan while MkLear is talking with the guard. Pros - at least one guard and MkLear/whoever else from the party joins the conversation will be distracted. Cons - you'll miss the exposition. Also we'll probably hate your guts when we find out.
Arch-Vile Mjr General [24/19/18/8/2] (0.9.9.7)

Quote from: thelaptop
Dude... we need to change your forum handle from "Klear" to "Klear Nukem".

Esther

« Reply #212 on: June 13, 2012, 12:27 »

Must admit I'm finding it hard not being able to ask or discus all these little things like you would in a face-to-face RPG. Also not clear on how to play characters background info, like knowing my way around the ship, without knowing a damn thing about it as a player. But I guess it will become clearer as we go......

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: June 13, 2012, 12:31 »

The little questions can occasionally be taken care of through IRC, or here.

So far I view the battleship as a somewhat unimportant location where the only place of interest is transportation to the planet. If there was some hot action suddenly, I would probably demand closer description/layout.

I've played face-to-face DnD only once (one session) so I'm blind to the differences, though.

Sylith

« Reply #214 on: June 13, 2012, 12:52 »

Also not clear on how to play characters background info, like knowing my way around the ship, without knowing a damn thing about it as a player.
But what do you need to know as a player? I mean - only thing I can think about is some kind of a plan, but if you want to go somewhere, you don't need to describe the way you go - it's enough to say "X is going [somewhere]". Only thing you need to know is if [something] is on the ship etc., but it's just one message to ask GM. I also think you can easily assume there is no need to ask for some obvious things. I really see no big difference between PBF and irl-RPG.
Maybe I just can't think about some possibilities, but I never needed a plan in situations like this, only in fight or maybe some stealth approaches to someone.
(And you can always come up with some little flavour-stuff. Right, Silharr?)

Esther

« Reply #215 on: June 13, 2012, 13:21 »

It's just a different way of thinking. I'm used to having info upfront by the GM. In this case I would know the places I've been to on the ship and would be able to decide myself to use any of that info in play. Like maybe places to get stuff like guns or food or sleep.
It makes it easier to keep things going whenever you are not around.
But I'm sure this way works fine to, it will just take me a while to adjust.   

I have faith in you as a GM. I'm just feeling a little like a fish out of the water. But I'll be a shark at this soon enough, hehehe

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #216 on: June 13, 2012, 13:42 »

It's just a different way of thinking.

The problem isn't not being able to get information, it's the speed with which the info comes: you have too much time to think and wonder compared to face-to-face RPG, where every question gets asked and answered as it comes up. It's not something that makes the game unplayable, but like Esther says, you'll have to think differently - especially if you've been playing together for about 10 years as she and I have.

She'll manage sooner than any of us will be comfortable with, though.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: June 13, 2012, 13:46 »

On the other hand, I like how the slow pace gives us a lot of time to think about what to say. It makes playing a talkie character that much easier. It can sometimes prevent the "I should have said that!" feeling.

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #218 on: June 13, 2012, 14:00 »

Hah, for me it's the other way around: I think of something to say and then realize that I'm using way too many words, am trying too hard to be funny, am too helpful, too friendly, too charming.

After 3 or 4 attempts, something concise and neutral enough usually comes up :)

HexaDoken

• Sergeant
  • The Shotgun Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: June 13, 2012, 23:44 »

*conversation breaker*
I came up with a list what I want to buy as well.
  • Combat Shotgun, +150. Because having to spend 2 full turns reloading after each second shot is seriously no fun. Must find that shotgun first altho.
  • Sell my current shotgun. If I'll find a nice merchant that will pay me the full price of this thing that will give me 50 thrones, but I perfectly know that most probably I'll be able to sell it for like 10.
  • Frag Grenade x5, +50. Just in case.
  • Shotgun Shells x100, +5.
  • Laspistol charge pack, +10.
  • Lasgun charge pack x3, +45.
  • Recoil Gloves, +40. I'm still thinking on that - they sound fun and badass, but I'll probably resist them in case they are not really useful.
  • A dose of stimm, +20. Doomers like stims.

That totals at 320 thrones, and leaves me at 90+whatever I'll get from selling my shotgun. Also, Klear, I might consider buying a micro-bead, but since I wouldn't really consider that normally, my character will not buy it unless you will suggest him to do so in IC.
2nd Lieutenant Hell Baron, Body Count: 43879
Wins:[1|7|1|0|0] Deaths: [7|90|26|16|2] Badges:[18|10|4|0|0]
Highest Score: 214763
Currently Doing: AoB HNTR

Esther

« Reply #220 on: June 14, 2012, 00:01 »

Only thing Xilla would consider buying are Bolas and a composite bow with some arrows. Any rare blades would be tempting.....but not likely to come across. She probably wouldn't have the funds anyway.

And maybe a Flak Vest.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 00:49 by Esther »

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #221 on: June 14, 2012, 00:14 »

• Sell my current shotgun. If I'll find a nice merchant that will pay me the full price of this thing that will give me 50 thrones, but I perfectly know that most probably I'll be able to sell it for like 10.
  • Shotgun Shells x100, +5.

Does not compute...

As for the cargo - nothing of interest, unless you have a gun shooting human-sized bullets.

Oh well, something useless it is then - Lazerus can't afford not to be curious about this.... Watch me :)

Esther

« Reply #222 on: June 14, 2012, 01:11 »

Need some help with this:

Do the bolts that come with my crossbow pistol have the same damage rating as those of a bolt pistol? Can't find it anywhere.
And how does it work when the crossbow pistol does not penetrate regular armor whereas a normal bolt pistol will. Does it still have any effect?
Also, is the crossbow pistol modified to shoot bolts, or could I also shoot arrows with it?

Silhar

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Brigadier General
  • Get psyched!
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: June 14, 2012, 03:28 »

WH40k has some confusion about it. Listen.

In-game terminology has it that "bolts" refer to a special kind of semi-automatic weaponry shooting out miniaturized rockets. Your crossbow pistol has the damage of 1d10 R, as seen in "hand bow", table 5-7, page 131 in core rulebook. The ammo for this kind of weaponry is called "quarrels" and comes in 20-piece packages, one throne each.

No bolt pistols for you, n00b. :3

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #224 on: June 14, 2012, 06:44 »

"You used your inquisitorial clearances for something absolutely pointless from a practical point of view..."

Not entirely: I would have preferred confiscating something with a more direct practical use, but we can still sell the shells. This has nothing to do with why I did this, though:
* I needed to know just how much weight this badge actually carries. If servitors aren't going to respect it, how could Lazerus have any faith in it?
* I also needed to know how much of Van Bohr's lapdog Xilla really is. Since my actions provoked no direct response, she at least has no problems with Lazerus kicking the Inquisition in the shins.

Mission accomplished :)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 23:38 by LuckyDee »
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 35