Chaosforge Forum

• March 18, 2024, 22:43
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Opening WAD Files  (Read 12306 times)

Morat48

• Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
Opening WAD Files
« on: May 09, 2012, 11:19 »

I've been trying to get started modding DoomRL, but I'm not sure how to begin. I feel like I need to be able to open the base game's WAD files to use as examples, but none of the tutorials I've found explain how to do this. Is there a way to unpack the game's WAD files, or are there example files available for 0.9.9.6 that show how everything is supposed to be formatted?

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Local Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike
Re: Opening WAD Files
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 12:07 »

I've been trying to get started modding DoomRL, but I'm not sure how to begin. I feel like I need to be able to open the base game's WAD files to use as examples, but none of the tutorials I've found explain how to do this. Is there a way to unpack the game's WAD files, or are there example files available for 0.9.9.6 that show how everything is supposed to be formatted?
There's probably a way to unpack WADs, but most (if not all) of the mods updated for 0.9.9.6 should come as source anyway. doomrl.wad is the exception because source for the base game itself is closed until at least 1.0. If you're looking for something that has the same kinds of designs that are in the base game, inferno.wad probably handles things similarly.

The "Constructing A Map" tutorial should be sufficient to get started. Is there something specifically you want to learn how to do? Because I'm all for writing new tutorials as necessary.
I'm just a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude.

Latest LPs: Angband, Delver

Morat48

• Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 12:26 »

I was really hoping to edit the classes and traits.

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Local Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 12:43 »

Ah! In that case I wouldn't think too much about it: traits and classes can't be modified in the current version. (Technically, you can modify traits, but the pre-game trait selection will always be relative to the base game defaults, so it's not very useful. If you're still interested in that, I'll try to spit out a Trait object doc tonight.) That information, along with core implementations to the game, will be available for modification using total conversion modules once they're properly supported.
I'm just a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude.

Latest LPs: Angband, Delver

Morat48

• Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 12:48 »

I wondered if that was the case, given the lack of information about it. I suppose I'll just have to wait until modding them is supported. I'm glad to hear that it's planned for a future update. For now, I think I'll just look at some other mods and see what can be done in the current version.

Thanks for all the help.

Trar

• Backer
  • Sergeant
  • dsvilsit.wav
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 11:52 »

I wish to know if I can turn character classes off in a mod, and/or edit the descriptions of traits. I also wish to know how I can open the non-core WAD files. I apologize for bumping this thread but I feel that it is the most prudent place to ask my question. Thank you for understanding.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 11:55 by Trar »
0.0.9.7: Former Human Lance Corporal

shark20061

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 13:22 »

The source for the mods on the server are pinned to the modding forum.  That is what is contained in the wad files.

I'll point you to the "Basic Doom" module I wrote for turning off character classes (or my workaround for it at least, you can't literally "turn them off").  The current version's code for doing that still works in 0997, it's in main.lua. (I'll be posting an update for the current DRL version just as soon as I fix my AI problem :(  )

Editing traits requires changing the trait's "full" field.  In <moduleid>.OnLoad(), you can try this:
Code: [Select]
traits.<traitid>.full = "New Text"Note that this won't apply until after the module loads, which doesn't happen until after the first trait is picked.
Hell Knight Warrant Officer (0.9.9.4)  [26!/8/3/1/0]

Mancubus 2nd Lieutenant (0.9.9.6)  [22/12/3/0/0]
M:16 S:43 (126) A:17

Trar

• Backer
  • Sergeant
  • dsvilsit.wav
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2013, 13:49 »

Thank you, I'll keep that in mind.
0.0.9.7: Former Human Lance Corporal

GinDiamond

• First Sergeant
  • Warrant Officer-Mancubus, trying to get all Bronze
    • View Profile
    • GinDiamond Stuff
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2013, 17:46 »

GameHunter, it'd be great if you could possibly do a series of youtube videos on how to mod?
Do not muddle in the affairs of Dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

the_question4747

• Private
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2015, 20:35 »

Rather than starting a new topic I wanted to ask a follow question to the original question posted about opening WAD Files.

If I want to modify LMB (Left Mouse Button) so that it does not utilize the mouse control features:
"                   travel to given destination, open door if next to it,
                     melee attack if on enemy and next to him. Travel needs
                     to target explored square, and is automatic as long as
                     there are no enemies in sight, otherwise just one move                  "

Can I do this by modifying LUA file via Notepad++ or like the topic above, am I going to have to open  WAD files?

**I am looking to use a stylus as my mouse input and would rather not literally move toward my targets if I somehow miss tap versus hover.**

the_question4747

• Private
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2015, 16:35 »

^^ Bump

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2015, 09:02 »

Unfortunately neither editing config files nor wads nor anything will help here - the mouse behavior is hardcoded into the game.
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz
Pages: [1]