Chaosforge Forum

• April 26, 2024, 00:23
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Stop savescumming  (Read 3389 times)

Blade

• Tester
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
    • Upyachka
Stop savescumming
« on: December 29, 2006, 05:44 »

Maybe add info to mortem, how many times and on what levels player was saved(in history, like this:)?
Code: [Select]
On level 8 he battled through the complex. There he saved game
 On level 9 he battled through the complex. There he saved game
 He then found Hell's Armory.
 On level 10 he found a hellish city. There he saved game
This won't prevent savescumming(anyway you will be able to edit mortem), but not so many people edits their mortems before upload.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2006, 05:47 by Blade »
Low orbit ion cannon damaged my brain!!1
Now i'm an idiot!1 Kill me, somebody!!11

DaEezT

• Greater Elder
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Stop savescumming
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2006, 05:59 »

but not so many people edits their mortems before upload.

To someone who goes through the trouble of save -> back up -> copy back every time you die -> save again > etc it's not really much work to remove the lines in the mortem.
And even if someone saves eon every level? So what? Did the game never crash for you? It certainly did for me, and after I killed the AoD no less.

<rant>
All this savescumming discussion is soooooo blown out of porpotion. I see every mortem as NOT SAVESCUMMED unless the author clearly states so. To me, asking that or requiring some kind of pseudo proof (a high save count does NO proof savescumming) is like a store owner who asks every customer who enters his store "are you a thief?".
Just don't always expect the worst from others and games become much more fun (see what all the "cheater" hype did to most online games...)
</rant>
"Morality is merely a convention with which men mutually agree to delude themselves. There are no moral facts, just preferences, and one is no better than any other."

Adral

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2006, 07:18 »

I agree with DaEezt here. Someone who goes all the trouble to savescum will not mind deleting a few lines. Heck, if I wanted, I could just edit my mortem so it says I won every single time and upload it here, after all it's just a plain text file.

The best we can do is to always take the mortem as real, and the people who DID savescum on a certain run, always state it. I mean, it's no problem if someone wants to savescum as long as he doesn't lie to everyone saying he won the game without cheating.
Paranoia is a very comforting state of mind. If you think they're out to get you, it means you think you matter

Aerton

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2006, 11:29 »

I think the manual should state that backing-up save files is cheating and that the game was designed and balanced as winnable without resorting to it. Non-RL people, who played 'normal' games that commonly require savescumming, in some cases tend to be unaware that they are doing something wrong.

I know, because I received several times emails, askin "Hi! I was playing Angband and my promising character has died. I've tried to load a saved game, but somehow I'm getting the character creation screen instead. How can I fix the save and revive the character?"

TFoN

• Colonel
  • Gleefully antisocial!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2006, 12:29 »

Aye, as someone who grew up on Castle of the Winds, I was used to save games even in RLs when I started playing, but it was actually great to discover they're uncommon, 'cause now I'm a much better player than I was.

If people want to cheat, let them cheat. It's their loss and they're less likely to learn to play better. I trust people here are as good as they claim, at least because it gives me high standards to try and beat. Anyway, like people here said, anything in a .txt file can be changed, and probably most other files too, if you're really up to it. Yeah, we have the score as a form of checksum parameter in some cases, but knowing to check it means someone else can know how to change it correctly (although in major cases we can ask Kornel to check it without giving away the details ;) ).
Anything else will be much easier to get around, so I'd rather not bother.

Zephyre Syx

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2006, 16:25 »

Savescum?  What's that?!?!

I think it's too much trouble in itself to worry about someone greasing up their mortems.  Because mortems shows how hard you've worked and earned to get to where ever.  It's like school paper.  It could go either way but honesty, and determination is where everything is.  It represents the player, and for the player to represent himself.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2006, 16:30 by Zephyre Syx »
"Nah, it's not that those ideas are bad, I'm just trying to show you why I think my way of thinking is better."
-Kornel Kisielewicz
Pages: [1]