Chaosforge Forum

• April 28, 2024, 00:43
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: How did you get to playing DoomRL?  (Read 10046 times)

Valkeera

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
How did you get to playing DoomRL?
« on: December 29, 2006, 13:33 »

I was just wondering... What prompted you guys to start playing DoomRL? How and where did you fin it?

Myself, I read a review on Abandonia - Reloaded, and since I was in a roguelike mood and got bored with ADoM, I decided to give it a try... and in a few games, I was hooked. :-)
Angel of Death 007

twiddybum

• Private FC
  • Yeah baby!
    • View Profile
Re: How did you get to playing DoomRL?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2006, 13:54 »

I was on Home of the Underdogs one day, and I saw DooM: The Roguelike on it's frontpage.  I had (finally!) ascended on NetHack and was looking for some similar Rogue-ish action.  I downloaded it and was hooked.

Blade

• Tester
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
    • Upyachka
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2006, 14:09 »

I have found DooMRl approximately year ago. At that time i had no internet, so it means no access to online reviews. Only one way i was learning about new games was russian magazine Navigator. And it always was packed with disk, that contained some freeware games. There i found game, called DooM Roguelike. I liked word DooM in it's name, so i installed it. Before i had never dealt with roguelike games and even haven't imagined that such games exists. After some time spent on tries to understand, what is it, i realized, that it is interesting and i like it. And only month ago i got access to internet, after what i registered on this forum. You know the rest.))
Low orbit ion cannon damaged my brain!!1
Now i'm an idiot!1 Kill me, somebody!!11

TFoN

• Colonel
  • Gleefully antisocial!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2006, 14:17 »

Well, it's a long story, so I'll put the short essence outside the spoiler tags:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Found it in Roguebasin as part of my months-long spree to explore new Roguelikes, and boldly crawl where no-one has crawled before!

Adral

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2006, 14:48 »

I can't remember exactly how, but it involved me searching ToME related information on some webpage (I was playing ToME hard those days:P) and seeing DooM: the Roguelike.

As a roguelike fan, and a uber-DooM fan (I still play it time to time online with skulltag (http://www.skulltag.com/), or singleplayer with Zdoom(www.zdoom.org, with lots of maps and such downloaded from the idgames archives, and reading map reviews and such on doomworld and other sites) it was a no-brainer for me. DooM + Roguelike = OMG AWESOMENESS.

P.D: If someone ever wants a skulltag match, I would be very happy to accept duel/deathmatch challenges (and probably lose:P)
Paranoia is a very comforting state of mind. If you think they're out to get you, it means you think you matter

twiddybum

• Private FC
  • Yeah baby!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2006, 17:36 »

Adral - Alright, I'll challenge you to a skulltag match, I'm installing it right now.

Malek Deneith

• Grand Inquisitor Emeritus
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2006, 17:52 »

I stumbled upon DoomRL while browsing some now un-existant polish RL site (I think the name of it was "World of Roguelike" or something like that...)
Inquisition - saving your soul, one bolter shell at a time.
Spoiler: "Hackmaster Kills" (click to show/hide)

DaEezT

• Greater Elder
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2006, 18:09 »

I was browsing through some Abandonware sites and looking for some old gems I've yet to discover and stumbled upon some game made for something called "7DRL". Being the inquisitive kind (I chose this wording just for you Malek) I did google that term and found a site that explained it and linked to web sites of people who submitted games (not just links to the games themselves) and I just crtl+left click all the links. Well, one of the working ones happened to be chaosforge :p
"Morality is merely a convention with which men mutually agree to delude themselves. There are no moral facts, just preferences, and one is no better than any other."

Zephyre Syx

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2006, 18:16 »

At the rgrd where the wild things are.  It's where I lerk and stand in wait, for something awesome to bloom in the mist.  OH CRAP, I'm missing a lot since ;_;.

I forgot when though, somewhere at '04 or '05 or something, because I used to shatter about it on LJ.
"Nah, it's not that those ideas are bad, I'm just trying to show you why I think my way of thinking is better."
-Kornel Kisielewicz

Jim9137

• Rainbow Love Marine
  • Backer
  • Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2006, 19:16 »

I think it was through another friend of mine who linked me to it. I then proceeded to download it, played it, then pimped it to everyone I knew on HOTU, wrote a review, pimped it to UD (HOTU's webgoddess) who took liking to my review, and thar she blows.

So, anyway, I hear she's a doom marine who's fighting for the good of Thailand.

I remember when Kornel came to #underdogs. It was pretty serene moment to me. (though he's lost some of his halo now that I know about his drinking habits).

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2006, 21:05 »

I think it was through another friend of mine who linked me to it. I then proceeded to download it, played it, then pimped it to everyone I knew on HOTU, wrote a review, pimped it to UD (HOTU's webgoddess) who took liking to my review, and thar she blows.

Woah! A non-obfuscated post of Jim9137 :D - Jim, you're getting old ^^

I remember when Kornel came to #underdogs. It was pretty serene moment to me. (though he's lost some of his halo now that I know about his drinking habits).
Umm... I did? I don't recall coming to #underdogs :-|
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Jim9137

• Rainbow Love Marine
  • Backer
  • Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2006, 21:13 »

Yes you did, honey-pumpkins. Remember the thongs. Remember them well.

Adral

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2006, 09:51 »

Adral - Alright, I'll challenge you to a skulltag match, I'm installing it right now.

Challenge taken. Contact me via the email in my profile. And don't worry, you'll problably win, I am TEH SUX ;)

EDIT: I still accept challenges from other people. Or proposals to play coop, whatever :P
« Last Edit: December 30, 2006, 09:57 by Adral »
Paranoia is a very comforting state of mind. If you think they're out to get you, it means you think you matter

Santiago Zapata

• Temple Guardian
  • Backer
  • First Lieutenant
  • Roguelike Developer
    • View Profile
    • Slashie.net
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2006, 17:46 »

haha

hmmm...

I dont remember :P

I guess it was at r.g.r.d. or something, yeah... that must have been it... but I guess I just gave it a quick look

Later on I found the forum when scanning the referal list to the castlevaniaRL website... that's when I started playing
Slash (Castlevania, Metroid, Drash, ZeldaRL)
Temple of The Roguelike
Slashie.net

Anticheese

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2007, 14:51 »

Me? Google.
Pages: [1] 2  All