Chaosforge Forum

• April 26, 2024, 07:38
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: post your skillsets or tactics!  (Read 6922 times)

ultimate26

• Backer
  • Sergeant
    • View Profile
post your skillsets or tactics!
« on: January 01, 2007, 22:25 »

shottyman and hellruner pwns! intuition and rocket launching is also good

Aki

• Marketing/PR and Wiki Ops
  • Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
Re: post your skillsets or tactics!
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2007, 23:24 »

I swear we already have a topic for this...
I usually go like this:
A) IM*2->TaN or EE->IM->TaN or EE (whichever i picked from before)*2-> If TaN, HR*2->SoaB . If EE, Int*3
AoB)Brute*2->'Zerk->Brute->Either 'Zerk*2 or Tan*2->If Zerk*2, i then go TaN*3. If TaN*2, i then go Zerk->TaN.
AoM->SoaG*2->DG->SoaG->R*3 or HR*3

[0.9.9.7]
Badges: [22/17/15/10/4/0]

Blade

• Tester
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
    • Upyachka
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2007, 03:55 »

If i'm playing chaingun and RL game i usually use following:
EE*2 -> Intuition*3 -> IM*2 -> EE -> IM -> TaN*3

For AoB:
Brute*2 -> Berserk*3 -> Brute -> HR*3

For Nightmare!(tm):
EE -> HR*3 -> IM*3 -> TaN*3

Other my tactics aren't tested and may not work, so i won't post them here now.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2007, 09:08 by Blade »
Low orbit ion cannon damaged my brain!!1
Now i'm an idiot!1 Kill me, somebody!!11

DaEezT

• Greater Elder
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2007, 04:10 »

The only constant in my games is the Im(3)+Tan(3) combo. The other skills depend on mood/challenge/difficulty.
"Morality is merely a convention with which men mutually agree to delude themselves. There are no moral facts, just preferences, and one is no better than any other."

Styro

• Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2007, 08:49 »

It depends on the challenge and difficulty, but I almost always get 3 Iro, 1 TaN, and 1 EE. Iro should be obvious - your game ends when you are out of life, so more life is good. TaN is similar - it is free armor that cannot be destroyed. I get EE because every shot that misses is wasted ammo and is another turn that the enemy gets to shoot at me in return (more hits means a quicker kill). I also in general like to get Hellrunner for the extra speed and dodging chance (works well against A's and B's).

Here are a few recent wins:

UV:
TaN->Iro->Iro->Iro->HR->EE->TaN->EE->Cat->HR->Cat->HR
// This is pretty standard for me. Cateye was nice because of the visual range advantage.

Med, Angel of Purity:
Iro->EE->EE->Int->TaN->Iro->Iro->HR->HR
// I wanted to get the first level of Intuition early so I could use the healing power of levers.

Med, Angel of Light Travel:
TaN->Fin->Iro->EE->HR->EE->Fin->Iro->Iro
// Kind of a weird mix, I don't know what I was doing here. But it worked.

Med, Angel of Impatience:
EE->EE->Iro->Int->Int->Int->Iro->Fin->Fin
// This was the first time I tried the Intuition path. The game was amazingly easy.

I have tried a few times going the Shottyman route, but I have never had much luck. I tend to explode barrels which destroys any loot I was hoping to find. Those of you you go the Shottyman path, how do you do it? I pretty much use Chaingun for everything and keep a RL in reserve for walls, Barons, etc. When you do a Shottyman game do you keep a Chaingun handy for tight shots?

It also seems a little redundant to me to get 2 skills in reloading and then to get Shottyman which means that you never have to reload (the shotgun reloads itself as you move). Please convince me that it is worth it! I like the idea of running around with shotguns blowing everything up, but have never been successful.
Arch-Vile Mjr General
[19/19/12/7/3]

Adral

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2007, 10:49 »

I have tried a few times going the Shottyman route, but I have never had much luck. I tend to explode barrels which destroys any loot I was hoping to find. Those of you you go the Shottyman path, how do you do it? I pretty much use Chaingun for everything and keep a RL in reserve for walls, Barons, etc. When you do a Shottyman game do you keep a Chaingun handy for tight shots?

It also seems a little redundant to me to get 2 skills in reloading and then to get Shottyman which means that you never have to reload (the shotgun reloads itself as you move). Please convince me that it is worth it! I like the idea of running around with shotguns blowing everything up, but have never been successful.

Well, I'm probably the worst DoomRL player around, but some of my more successful characters went down the Shottyman path, so I'll try to bring you to the Dark Side (of Phobos):P.

What I usually do is keep a chaingun and some ammo (until I find the plasma rifle, then I keep that), a rocket launcher (which really benefits from reloader!). Then my tactics are Coward while zig-zagging towards the monster I want to bring down and when I'm just next to it, I go Agressive and I unload my double shotgun into his [doom comic]HUGE GUTS![/doom comic]

Since shotgun pellets always hit, as Kornel said elsewhere, you can see that it can very much bring the pain to almost any monster.

The other weapons I keep are for tactical purposes: a monster you really need to snipe down, a bunch of big baddies for the RL, etc. And when you are in a good position to RL all the way down, you benefit from having those 2 levels of reloader. Also keep in mind that if you reload whilst standing still (if you are cornered, for instance), reloader bonus comes into effect. Just remember that Aggressive/Coward is your friend, and that I have not won this ·$"%$& game ever :P. But I hope you can get at least some ideas from this post :).

Also, Reiner Knizia FTW!
Paranoia is a very comforting state of mind. If you think they're out to get you, it means you think you matter

TFoN

• Colonel
  • Gleefully antisocial!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2007, 11:36 »

EE*2->Intuition*3->SoaB/TaN/HR*X (depends on my situation and equipment at that very moment. Massive CG use, which I like, makes SoaB*3 very much worthwhile).
I don't use IM much and it seems to work just fine, though my recent experiments with shotguns've been changing that a little. Still, it seems TaN and HR save more life overall than IM does, so unless I'm going Badass (for AoMs), I drop it.
Also, I've discovered EE(1)'s a must-have even with shotguns, because I HATE having my RL miss that AV (HOW THE HELL DO YOU MANAGE AVS WITH A SHOTTYMAN?! My last game had 3 consecutive levels with sets of ~3 AVs coupled with ~7 Cacos (and more - HKs, Barons) blast away at me, and that was just dlvl13-15 on HMP. WTF?!).

Traits aside, I stand on the middle horizontal line near~ the stairs on Hell's Arena shooting a CG ---> into the void 'till they all stop moving. If not a CG, then a pistol and more patience. Works every time - and a good strategy for any other open-space dlvl - monsters congregate at the center of the map, the fools :P
That, and dropping ammo for the weapon users.

ultimate26

• Backer
  • Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2007, 18:30 »

last time i beated the game, i went reloader2-shotty-ee2-in3-rest is hellruners... HR+ auto reload is leet, you get to dodge and shoot at the same time dodge bonus strafing. doble shotgun becomes a monster :) the rest for me was saving missiles, and keeping my shotgun good

TFoN

• Colonel
  • Gleefully antisocial!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2007, 09:36 »

On HR(2) Cacos are still hitting me 60% of the time after moves, so I'm disguntled and angry! Bah! Oo :P

DaEezT

• Greater Elder
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2007, 11:12 »

On HR(2) Cacos are still hitting me 60% of the time after moves, so I'm disguntled and angry! Bah! Oo :P

Speaking of cacos. Does anyone know how the game handles the blasts(including non Caco blasts like barrels or Barons)? Is the player able to dodge the blast or does it automatically hit?
"Morality is merely a convention with which men mutually agree to delude themselves. There are no moral facts, just preferences, and one is no better than any other."

Blade

• Tester
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
    • Upyachka
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2007, 11:19 »

I had never avoided blast, with HR, or without it. You can dodge from projectile, but if it is a blast near you, you will be hit.
Low orbit ion cannon damaged my brain!!1
Now i'm an idiot!1 Kill me, somebody!!11

DaEezT

• Greater Elder
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2007, 11:27 »

I had never avoided blast, with HR, or without it. You can dodge from projectile, but if it is a blast near you, you will be hit.

Thought so :/

ultimate26

• Backer
  • Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2007, 12:38 »

when i strafe shoot with shottyman i dodge caco shots too! dont remember if i had hr or not but strafing is damm good! increases the dodge rate(read that in another thread)

Anticheese

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2007, 14:50 »

I think that you will find that is because enemies will shoot near you - not at you - when you strafe around you

Poochie

• Private FC
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2007, 16:54 »

TaN*3, IM*3, RL*2, then probably shottyman or EE.
Pages: [1]