Chaosforge Forum

• March 18, 2024, 20:43
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: [Design] DukeRL  (Read 35459 times)

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Twisted passages carry the smell of dapperness...
    • View Profile
Re: DukeRL
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2012, 04:19 »

@Motorheadbanger

Homing phase automatically targets the stairs. I'm wondering if it is possible to make an item, which would, when used, allow you to aim in the same way you aim weapons when firing. Duke would then jump/move rapidly to that point, which would simulate a speed burst from the jetpack.

Edit: If it is indeed true that this cannot be done, but could be done by making jetpack and possibly other items into "weapons", basically converting the two weapon slots from DoomRL into a weapon and item slots (and of course allow instant swapping by default). In that case you'd have your weapon ready and could choose which item you want in the prepared slot - jetpack, holoduke, pipebombs, tripmines etc.
Hmmm... and it would give some justification to the "Portable Medkit". The smaller variants would be used normally from inventory as in DoomRL, while the portable one could be equipped into this quick use item slot and could be used fast/instantly, the way engineers use items.

@Equality

I never said I want to make a 1:1 copy of Duke3d. That would obviously be impossible. I hope the game can capture the feeling of the game, which is something I think DoomRL succeeded in.

As to the rest of your post - did you read my notes on the things you mention? I already pretty much already said all which you suggest. Maybe I misunderstand you, since I have no idea what static levels have to do with the way tripwires and holoduke behave. (BTW, the holoduke doesn't work in Duke3d - the AI doesn't reflect it at all. It's usable only in multiplayer, despite appearing in single player)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 04:32 by Klear »
Arch-Vile Mjr General [24/19/18/8/2] (0.9.9.7)

Quote from: thelaptop
Dude... we need to change your forum handle from "Klear" to "Klear Nukem".

Uitë

• Elder
  • First Sergeant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2012, 08:12 »

The Duke Nukem 2 Flamethrower would be nice too. In that game it could be used as a crude jetpack in addition to being a weapon. I'm thinking it would be awesome as something that functions like a fire-based shotgun, with (damageless?) rocket jumping alt fire.
Arch-Vile 1st Lieutenant
[26|12|6|1|0]

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2012, 08:23 »

The Duke Nukem 2 Flamethrower would be nice too. In that game it could be used as a crude jetpack in addition to being a weapon. I'm thinking it would be awesome as something that functions like a fire-based shotgun, with (damageless?) rocket jumping alt fire.

I really need to play through Duke 2 again, and play through the Atomic Edition. And watch some full "let's play" of DNF. Research. From what I read, a flamethrower was planned for Duke3d at some point, though it eventually ended up being the freezethrower, so having a flamethrower in the game is definitely a possibility. I should add it to the list of weapons once I do more research. I'd keep it as a quite rare exotic weapon of course, since it's not something usually associated with Duke.
I'm not sure about the alt-fire - if it turns out possible to make a jetpack item, it should be more frequently found than the flamethrower and as such the alt-fire would probably be superfluous.

In any case, thanks for the feedback! Keep it comming. (I'm adressing all of you who posted now).

Hamster

• Elder
  • Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2012, 11:21 »

BTW, DN3D:Atomic is available for free on GOG.com till December 14, 14:59 GMT.

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2012, 11:23 »

I've an elaboration on the Jetpack mechanic.  It has a fuel gauge, the cost per jump is 2+number of tiles, and if there is anything in between, you deal damage (and take damage) if you wham into any of them, possibly causing knockback.  That would be an interesting mechanic to think about instead of mere teleportation.
I computed, therefore I was.

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2012, 07:23 »

BTW, DN3D:Atomic is available for free on GOG.com till December 14, 14:59 GMT.

Awesome! Thanks for the tip.. and just in time.

Edit: Damn, the level-design of that game is really top-notch. And the engine, while quite dated, is still impressive in some respects.

@thelaptop
That sounds good. Even better if we can implement the fuel gauge. It would allow the same for the holoduke etc.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 09:37 by Klear »

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2013, 11:09 »

It looks like I may have the time to help contribute code for this after all.

Klear, let's work on this more and see if we can make something more concrete soon.  =)

bfg9001

• Elder
  • First Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2013, 14:58 »

Maybe instead of armor, you could have both Health and Ego. The Ego would act as a form of regenerating armor, and you lose Ego before you lose Health.

Borrowing another idea from DNF, maybe you could have special items scattered around the levels that you can interact will have will provide a small, but permanent boost to your maximum Ego. Levelling up and killing bosses would also boost your maximum Ego.

Just a suggestion.

Trar

• Backer
  • Sergeant
  • dsvilsit.wav
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2013, 07:43 »

I support this mod. Make sure to include plenty of one-liners.
0.0.9.7: Former Human Lance Corporal

Trar

• Backer
  • Sergeant
  • dsvilsit.wav
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2013, 06:36 »

As for how I feel about the issues:

Protozoid Slimer seems fine to me, as long as it's not TOO annoying.

Player jetpacks could work as a precise rocket jump. Some enemies could use them too, I suppose.

HoloDuke MIGHT work to distract enemies. It has potential, but I don't know if it might work.

Boots could definitely play a bigger role. I know Duke isn't a fan of armor, but since it was in DN3D I feel it should be included anyhow (a few sets of armor varying in protection should do it); they could be rare but also quite good at protecting Duke. The Ego system sounds alright; it would be supplemented by the aforementioned armor if it's included.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 06:41 by Trar »

SPTX

• Sergeant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2013, 07:28 »

Why not just make the jetpack a consumable that grants the player both speed and dodge (which respectively simulate liberty of movement and height)
With durability drained as it is activated but doesn't destroy the item when it drops to 0 and "repairs" when not used.

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2013, 06:34 »

Updated the list of enemies to include bosses and added a few ideas for level generation.

Edit: ...and added game story texts to the Miscellaneous section.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 07:01 by Klear »

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
Re: [Design] DukeRL
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2013, 10:00 »

Stickied to remind KK, Klear and myself that this needs to be done.

Trar

• Backer
  • Sergeant
  • dsvilsit.wav
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2013, 13:51 »

I've found the music to Duke Nukem 3D in both MIDI quality and enhanced quality, all in MP3. I've also got the music for most of the expansions, mostly in MIDI and OGG. Contact me if you need them to include in DukeRL and I'll see about uploading them.

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2013, 15:14 »

@thelaptop

Thanks, I'll try to update this as often as possible.

@Trar

Could be useful. I think I've got all the sounds from Duke3d at some point (though I have no idea where I saved them, they seem to be lost).

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All