Chaosforge Forum

• April 25, 2024, 20:24
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: What is your strategy for medium or hard difficulties?  (Read 8433 times)

ZicherCZ

• Chaos Knight
  • Supporter of Chaos
  • Brigadier General
  • YADJHG - Yet Another Dead JupiterHellGuy
    • View Profile
Re: What is your strategy for medium or hard difficulties?
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2013, 06:51 »

Also I wouldn't say that knockback is bad, if the enemy is knocked back it can't hit you but you still have a chance of hitting it.
It may be bad. If the first shot knocks the target back in the wrong direction, the rest of the burst goes into nowhere amd is pretty much wasted. Most notable with AoMC, this can be a serious issue.
Plus, if the enemy is knocked back, it can still hit you if it wasn't on the edge of LOS before being hit.
DoomRL 0.997: Cyberdemon Brigadier General - Games: 217, Wins: 2/5/3/6/0, Medals: 18, Specials: 64, Asm: 39, Badges: 19/17/16/5/1/Are you kidding?
Jupiter Hell: Inner Circle - first tech build reached and working

ultimate26

• Backer
  • Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2013, 10:28 »

well isnt hyperblaster great with trigger happy? adding 2 shots to a volley then shooting twice per turn is great i believe.

I love having a assault rifle/hyperblaster technician with THx2, I feel like im accurate without using EE and my damage per shots are higher

singalen

• Supporter
  • Second Lieutenant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2013, 07:46 »

I love using engineer for FIN-JUG-SOB-SOB as a starter because you can use any weapon and be effective regardless of what you find.
My rule of thumb is to go for a master trait ASAP, and use shotgun cornershooting and pushback until then.
If master trait path includes early SoB or EE, I could switch to chainfire weapons on trait level 2. Other than that, I rarely put a shotgun down: I switch to chaingun to save shells (normally need this on Arena), and to rocket launcher to break walls or when desperate.

ultimate26

• Backer
  • Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2013, 13:26 »

As technician I dont feel that any of the master traits being worth my effort, while if i choose the marine, Army of dead and ammochain are completely game changing.

I like technician being able to go for Whizkid whenever I please, as marine if I aim for a master trait then whizkid gets pushed back.

Do some people play without any assembled weapons sometimes?

2DeviationsOut

« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2013, 09:45 »

I've done it, it's not fun. As far as my strategy for the higher difficulties goes, I'm really really partial to SoB->SoB->TH->TH->Rel->Rel->MAC->Fin->Fin->WK->WK->whatever else

Evilpotatoe

• Backer
  • Major
  • Lost Soul corpse
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2013, 05:13 »

@2dev :
What about the CatEye build, or more generally, the replacement of MAc with a nanomachic plasma rifle ?
I don't know it it's worth changing class if you don't go for MCe : Scout's speed bonus is quite interesting, but marine's HP and powerup duration bonus are great too. Well, for you, HP aren't necessary since you prefer playing damageless :o))
Anyway, from my point of view :

Pros :
-No need to put 2 points in Rel -> mastery and WK2 got faster (in fact, you can even skip the mastery... I did it once on a MAc build, to get EE instead, and with a nanomachic plasma rifle, it's insane :)
-Never need to reload. Can continuously chainfire in front of mancubi or barons until the vile beyond appears
-No need to save ammo anymore, you can radarshoot whenever you need it. Wasn't a problem in 0.9.9.6 with nuclear plasma rifle, but now, it makes some difference.

Cons :
-Need to reach HA and get Shambler's head to get unlimited ammo, and you're not 100% sure to have 3 B-mods by that time. Without nano, you're quite screwed
-Nano could have been used for antigrav boots, or some other shiny assembly.
-Nanomachic things can be modded only once, instead of 5.

Btw, as of version 0.9.9.7, this is probably harder, since monster's position in HA is randomed, and Shambler's head in lab looks quite impossible (I went trough only once, but jeez... ). At least, mods are more commons.
Also, I wonder... don't you have a guaranteed nano in the lab ? Bah, I'll know that soon.

So, writing it, I understand this is probably just not reliable, compared to MAc, but I wonder if delaying the MAc pick of a few levels (just to wait for HA's result) isn't a good choice. If you get a nano, you can just skip MAc and replace it with EE... no ? Did you try this already ?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 02:12 by Evilpotatoe »
Badges - [26/26/26/22/9/2] - 42/43
Pages: 1 [2]  All