Chaosforge Forum

• June 15, 2024, 16:45
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Corpse degradation  (Read 5093 times)

Valkeera

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
Corpse degradation
« on: January 06, 2007, 03:59 »

Just a small tweak to curb exp camping on N!, and making it a little more bearable at the same time: when you imagine that a monster is killed over and over again, its corpse gets more an more damaged, until there is virtually nothing worthwhile of it left to raise. So, I'd suggest to implement something like "corpse degradation counter" that would measure the state of mangledness of the monster, and when it reaches a certain limit, the killed monster would eventually leave no corpse. The limit would of course depend on the monster type, but also on the weapon used - the degradation wouldn't be too much for a pistol or chaingun, but would rise dramatically with energetic weapons and RL.
Angel of Death 007

DaEezT

• Greater Elder
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Corpse degradation
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2007, 04:23 »

and making it a little more bearable at the same time
Based on the warning DoomRL displays when you start a N! game I'd say that is not what Kornel has in mind :p

Are you sure? This difficulty level isn't
        even remotely fair! [y/n]
"Morality is merely a convention with which men mutually agree to delude themselves. There are no moral facts, just preferences, and one is no better than any other."

BDR

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2007, 05:40 »

Blade made it sound like you have to exp camp on the second level if you want to have a chance at surviving long enough to make it to the deeper levels/Cyberdemon on N! anyway, and since he's the first (and IIRC the only) person to beat N! I think this is unnecessary :P .  I could see it working maybe with a new challenge on the lower difficulty levels enabling respawning enemies (Angel of Death! :D), but N! is supposed to be insanely hard, so no.

TFoN

• Colonel
  • Gleefully antisocial!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2007, 14:14 »

Kornel tells us exp. scumming will be impossible soon, and may the Gods of Doom bless us all :P

Adral

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2007, 14:28 »

First of all:

Kornel tells us exp. scumming will be impossible soon, and may the Gods of Doom bless us all :P

Heresy! There is only one God, and He is the Emperor of Mankind.

BURN THE HERETIC!

* Adral takes out a heavy flamer and burns TFoN to a messy pulp

About the initial post, I think what sets Nightmare! as a special challenge, never seen outside the original Dooms (at least, never seen before it) is that monsters respawn constantly so you have to keep your pace. It was so unfair it didn't even let you cheat. ;)

So I'm against this proposal for not keeping the spirit.
Paranoia is a very comforting state of mind. If you think they're out to get you, it means you think you matter

Zephyre Syx

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2007, 17:39 »

But, a very good idea no less.

Here's the thing though, when archvile revives dead corpse on doom, they are already to shreds and are brought back brand spanking *smack* mmm, mmm, good, new so there's hardly any degration taking place...And there is this doomRL where anything can jump off traditions.
The others have no problems with the insane difficulty of Nightmare, but even so the idea sounds like a good add-on to the strategy element, where you have to deside what to bring with you when going down farther in Hell on Nightmare.  This does, however hampers the core of what made nightmare, a nightmare.

I'm so-so with the idea, but it does add strategy to gameplay.  Do you have any idea that can make this work some kind of way and still keep it nightmare?
"Nah, it's not that those ideas are bad, I'm just trying to show you why I think my way of thinking is better."
-Kornel Kisielewicz

Anticheese

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2007, 18:34 »

How about a delay in between resurrections?

That delay would become shorter with a higher difficulty and proximity to Hell.

TFoN

• Colonel
  • Gleefully antisocial!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2007, 13:15 »

Heresy! There is only one God, and He is the Emperor of Mankind.

So not only you tarnish the name of the Gods of Doom, you openly denounce the RNG?!

This shall not go unnoticed!

* TFoN disembowels Adral with a fishing hook and spreads his innards on toast, to be consumed by the bare will of the RNG, and then notes that he agrees with the rest of his post.

Maybe this should be noted for a potential Evil Dead/Army of Darkness RL :)
Although I should note I haven't had a chance to watch them yet, and may be making a grave mistake (pun partially intended :P )

Anticheese

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2007, 21:23 »

Excuse me for a moment while I go fetch some sandworms.

I still think the delay idea is good though.

GenTechJ

• Tester - DoomRL Staff
  • Elder
  • Sergeant
  • Hail to the king baby!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2007, 12:25 »

This kinda goes hand in hand with an idea I had. If there's no corpse degradation, you shouldn't get exp for an enemy you've already killed, or ammo/weapons for that matter. Granted I don't know if that happens or not, have yet to face an archvile or play on Nightmare, but just a thought. I do support the idea of corpse degradation, if not for DoomRL, then EvilDead/Army of DarknessRL.

Anticheese

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2007, 23:39 »

AFAIK ressurected monsters don't give XP.

Ugm

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
    • Serwis ADOM
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2007, 04:23 »

They do. Summoned skulls are xp-less, though.
...and now go, tiny mortal!
Pages: [1]