Chaosforge Forum

• April 25, 2024, 19:36
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: DoomRL (un)official guide by Sylph is being updated!  (Read 3695 times)

GinDiamond

• First Sergeant
  • Warrant Officer-Mancubus, trying to get all Bronze
    • View Profile
    • GinDiamond Stuff

Its been a while since I've really been able to play a full-hardcore run of DoomRL on Ultra Violence, but because I've gathered some invaluable knowledge over the years, I've decided to make a manual that is easy and extremely informative for the use of the beginner to advanced player.
But I realized that making a completely new manual would be really tedious and demanding, since there is so much to cover. I decided to use Sylph's great 0.9.9.1 manual as a template, and simply add, update, or delete information.

So far, I feel very proud of myself. Every **EDIT** and whatever with ** by it is my doing (plus a few helpful hints on some other stuff). I still need to redo the chaingun part of the Hell's Arena (monsters don't seek the center anymore) and then part of the level reconstruction (same thing, monsters now have a truly random walk). I also need to add some weapons, update their stats, and update some stuff about the Spider's Lair, Halls of Carnage, The Lava Pits, and others.

I also need to add more monsters and update their stats, as they have been changed over the years since 0.9.9.1

Link:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/109591486/DoomRL_guide.txt

How's it coming so far?
Do not muddle in the affairs of Dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

AlterAsc

• Supporter
  • Major
    • View Profile
Re: DoomRL (un)official guide by Sylph is being updated!
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 00:40 »

Monsters no longer tend to stick to the middle of the map.
Update info on monsters, traits and classes.

So far it's...don't know correct word. It has both useful and wrong/outdated information. Potentially good.

(0.9.9.6 - ?) Arch-Vile Chaos Lt. Colonel [26|20|18|16|12|2]

PFL

• Elder
  • Lance Corporal
  • Ripped & Torn
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 15:21 »

Great idea.  I can use all the help I can get!  Thank you. :)
Blood! Blood! BLOOD!

GinDiamond

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
    • GinDiamond Stuff
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 04:01 »

I mean, I have homework and other stuff to do, so editing will be somewhat slow, but I'll do it. Anybody who wants to help, just email me at patrickskis21@yahoo.com and we'll see what needs work.
Do not muddle in the affairs of Dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Evilpotatoe

• Backer
  • Major
  • Lost Soul corpse
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013, 08:55 »

Detail :

Tactics example 2........... [TAE1 ]
should read
Tactics example 2........... [TAE2 ]

A few suggestions :

"Dont use elephant shotgun" @city of skulls
could be improved to
"If you use an elephant shotgun, DONT reload it without using shottyman or a shell box"
Also, isn't the best strategy here one BFG shot, then any shotgun ? (+ some finish for the elemental.. I personally use a shell box, but plasma, BFG... can do the trick too)

Vaults : mention arena master staff !

Mortuary : Maybe mention rocket jumps too ? They are better than phase devices, imo. It's very effective to reach the bonuses in the corners, flee, AND gib corpses.
Also, the last mortuary I cleared was with 4 uses of Azrael's scythe... high cost, but drastically reduces risks taken. Was worth it, imo, since the mortuary is often "the last dangerous level". I think it should be mentionned too.

In the "mods" section, the numbers are wrong : exotics can now be modded 5 times, like normal weapons. I don't remember if the section states than melee weapons have the same limit as armors (3 different mods)

The whole "builds" section is probably out of date too, and so seem master traits.
I think obsolete sections like city of skulls's old strategy should be removed, to make this guide more clear : target readers are new users, we shouldn't flood them with outdated information.

Maybe this guide should be put on some page of the wiki, so that everyone could contribute it ?
For me, once up-to-date, it should be bundled with the game... or at least referred to.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 09:01 by Evilpotatoe »
Badges - [26/26/26/22/9/2] - 42/43

GinDiamond

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
    • GinDiamond Stuff
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2013, 13:46 »

Thanks!

I'll get to work on this right away.
Pages: [1]