Chaosforge Forum

• March 19, 2024, 04:40
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: The Elevator of Dimensions (0.9.2)  (Read 42087 times)

shark20061

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Captain
    • View Profile
Re: The Elevator of Dimensions (0.9.1)
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2013, 20:58 »

And as Appuru said, that Prosperity Rune is way overpowered, partly due to the duration, I think.  It lasted me for a couple of levels with plenty of time to spare!

That's intentional.  The runes last until you grab a new one.  But I was asking yafl on IRC while I was playing if my health going to 250% was actually a bug.  It could probably be nerfed and not bother anyone.

I recognize that it's supposed to be a breather and that's fine; it's just a bit too long of a breather with too little variety of enemies, (plus the fact that they give you almost no experience) but then there isn't a whole lot of variety within the original Wolfenstein enemies anyway.  (Mostly different-clothinged guys with similar guns)  I think Elite Formers would be a bit out of place in a Wolfenstein-themed level, but maybe you could put in Grosse?  (The boss of the first episode; you could call them "Grosse clones" so you can have more of them)  :D  Maybe you could put in the Hitler clones that shoot fireballs from episode 3!  (As shown in this video)  Heck, maybe you could even put in Hitler himself as a final boss!  :P  (Also shown in that video; you would, of course, have to make him a two-stage boss)  ;)  Come to think of it, you could probably throw the Angel of Death in there, considering it was lifted from the Spear of Destiny expansion to Wolfenstein in the first place.

Yeah, I was actually expecting one of the bosses to show up during that level.  I got caught off guard when it just ended.

Yes, especially considering the kind of game this is, where death is a minor, temporary inconvenience, rather than the end of the game.  Nightmare! can afford to be a lot less forgiving.  (I sure hope I don't regret saying that!)  :P  Incidentally, I'd just like to say that as a game mechanic, it works very well and makes quite a fun game.  :)

I, at the very least, expected N! to spawn WAY more enemies but... it might be a good change to make them super strong instead.
Hell Knight Warrant Officer (0.9.9.4)  [26!/8/3/1/0]

Mancubus 2nd Lieutenant (0.9.9.6)  [22/12/3/0/0]
M:16 S:43 (126) A:17

yaflhdztioxo

• Programmer
  • Local Inquisitor
  • Captain
  • Lost Sole
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2013, 21:50 »

Some good feedback.  I never considered prosperity could be a game breaker; in the Skulltag Arena it always seemed to be one of the least popular runes.  Would simply scaling its benefits to 150% or 200% be enough?

I think spawning more enemies on N! would drag the game on for too long.  The same logic leaves me wary of adding a toughness or health tweak, but I could fiddle with adding a todamall bonus (+1 for UV +2 for N!).  That should make the swarms more dangerous without majorly impacting the bosses.  I would have thought the speed penalty the player gets on N! would be enough to prevent the player from stemming the swarm... It stopped me :/.  On the flip side should ITYTD be made easier, and if so how?

I'm going to nix the boss enemies for Level 3 idea though; gotta keep SOME unique things for WolfRL after all.  Which I should probably start working on again soon.  If elite guards doesn't work I may consider a mini-hans or two.

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2013, 11:30 »

Well, this shows how bad my will power is, playing this game with exams coming up.  :P  Here you go:

Spoiler: Tourist Angelic (click to show/hide)

I didn't actually play for 12 hours; I just left the game on while doing other things, like sleeping.  :)  As I indicated before, I tried a MAD build this time and it was much more successful.  (And less time-consuming in areas like level 2)  Later on, I also got Berserker trait and a Piercing Chainsaw, so I guess this was the game of armour-piercing weaponry!  :D  (Incidentally, what's up with the Chainsaws that I can't select with the numbered keys?  Pushing 0 gives me the message "You don't have a chainsaw")

The only death happened while fighting the Arch-Lich.  I was at 180% health and berserk and I spontaneously died.  The culprit seems to have been that one tiny square of void at the centre of the map.  I can't remember if I was moving at the time; I think it may have appeared under my feet while I was chainsawing the Arch-Lich.  (Seems like a bit of a dick move; hmph!  Spoiled my otherwise deathless game)  I had been happily chainsawing away at him while he was invulnerable, since he kept my berserk charged, but after that spontaneous death, I switched to corner-shooting him with the Shotgun for a while, because I wasn't sure what had happened and I lost some of my supplies to the explosions after they got scattered all over the place.  I only recovered one med pack, so I had to be careful after that, but ended up switching back to the Chainsaw for the coup de gras.  :)

The Berserker trait was a big help for an extended section of level 5, which kind of became a game of Whack-a-Mole, standing at the centre of the map, Chainsawing each enemy as they teleported in.  By funny coincidence, I happened to choose to wander off to heal myself at the exact moment the Overlord appeared, which made it a bit awkward to get back to him, but his second hit against me made me berserk and then I just charged him and finished him off.

I was surprised to find that the Phaseshift Armour regenerated and...  is also indestructible?  :o  I wish I'd found that during my previous game; it would have been a big help!  (Heh, it seems that I forgot to put it back on after I died; oh well...)  :P

Some good feedback.  I never considered prosperity could be a game breaker; in the Skulltag Arena it always seemed to be one of the least popular runes.  Would simply scaling its benefits to 150% or 200% be enough?

I think it would be good for the Runes to be balanced, but I find it hard to say how to balance them, because quite frankly, I don't know what most of the Runes do.  :|  Is there a listing of what they all do somewhere?

I think spawning more enemies on N! would drag the game on for too long.  The same logic leaves me wary of adding a toughness or health tweak, but I could fiddle with adding a todamall bonus (+1 for UV +2 for N!).  That should make the swarms more dangerous without majorly impacting the bosses.

Could be a good compromise; I guess I'll have to keep on my toes in the next version.  :)

I'm going to nix the boss enemies for Level 3 idea though; gotta keep SOME unique things for WolfRL after all.  Which I should probably start working on again soon.  If elite guards doesn't work I may consider a mini-hans or two.

No Hitler?  Awww...  :P  (I mean shite!)  ;)
Apostle Chaos Lt. General (0.9.9.7)
[26/26/26/26/18/9]
Check out my Youtube channel for videos of me playing DRL!  :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXOijubEijdnrOja0kxXTKQ/videos

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2013, 21:12 »

So, I guess I wasn't done with this mod.  :P  I decided to try out a Gunrunner build this time.

Spoiler: Mortem (click to show/hide)

Once it got going, it was devastating to boss monsters like the Cyberdemons, Overlord, Battlelord, Mastermind, and Cycloid Emperors.  (By then, I had the Plasmatic Double Shotgun and I just danced back and forth, two squares away from them, firing and reloading simultaneously with each movement)  It was also pretty effective in the second level against the hordes of huge Barons, although I still died there due to the yellow one that makes the room explode.  (Can't remember that guy's name)  And then I got cornered in the elevator by *four* of those yellow guys and lost a bunch of lives.  :|  It was fun, for a bit, to charge around Wolfenstein with my Tactical Shotgun, but I couldn't do it too long due to lack of shells, but I made up for it on level 4 by charging around with my Micro Launcher.  :D

Oh, and I *still* stepped in that void square while facing the Arch-Lich.  *sigh*  I was hoping to see some of those special attacks that yaflhdztioxo talked up, and I thought if I ran around out in the open this time I would get to see it, but I didn't see anything special beyond a bunch of fireballs hurled my way.  Perhaps my Plasmatic Double Shotgun and Nano-modded Railgun were just doing too much damage too quickly and kept plunging him back into his invulnerable state before he could do anything.  With my agility-modded Phaseshift suit, Tactical Boots, and HR 2, I was moving pretty fast, and therefore shooting pretty fast.
[26/26/26/26/18/9]

yaflhdztioxo

• Programmer
  • Local Inquisitor
  • Captain
  • Lost Sole
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2013, 06:02 »

Clearly experience gains need to be further decreased...

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
Re: The Elevator of Dimensions (0.9.2)
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2014, 16:44 »

So, someone suggested that I try this mod out again.  (Was that really five months ago?  It doesn't feel like that long!)  :o

I was doing pretty well, trying out a Blademaster build, and got up to round 4 when the game suddenly crashed.  :(  It froze up completely and wouldn't let me finish, and generated this error message:

Spoiler: Error message (click to show/hide)

I had been playing for a while, cutting everything up with my chainsword before they could react, and this happened while I was fighting the upside-down Cybruisers.  The playing field was pretty cluttered with items by that point, but not 100% full, so I don't know if that was a contributing factor.  Also, my computer has lately been crashing occasionally due, I think, to issues with my graphics card.  That may or may not have been a contributing factor too.  (I doubt it, but I thought I'd mention it anyway)  Screenshot from the end is attached below.

And on an unrelated note, for some reason, fighting all those upside-down enemies on round 4 brings this song to mind.  :)
[26/26/26/26/18/9]

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2014, 17:54 »

I don't think it's just the percentage in which a level is filled -- it's also the proximity of the open spaces.  The time I was testing this, I was trying to spawn Cyberdemons on Phobos Base Entry (yes, it was with console access).  I didn't hit the theoretical maximal, but crashed some time before.

I guess I'll have to dig in and fix this seeing that KK isn't so... on the ball for DoomRL these days.

And Tormuse, stop leaving you crap around.  =P
I computed, therefore I was.

yaflhdztioxo

• Programmer
  • Local Inquisitor
  • Captain
  • Lost Sole
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2014, 18:19 »

Tormuse SMASH puny game engine.

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2014, 20:29 »

LOL!  :D  Okay, so I tried the build again and this time, I cleaned up after myself better.  :P

It was good enough for another Tourist Angelic badge!  :D  ...which is kind of odd, because apparently, I died 8 times and I thought you're only allowed one death per floor, which would mean a maximum of 5 deaths, but now that I look again, it says one death per *wave* and since there are multiple waves per floor, I'm probably allowed up to 10 deaths.  (I think?)

Anyway, all the deaths occurred on the first floor while I was establishing myself.  Once I got Blademaster, I was able to zip up to every enemy almost before they could all get a shot off, especially once I had the Phaseshift set.  For a while, I was moving at 0.2 seconds per move and by the end, I got that down to 0.11.

The burst minigun was kind of fun in a silly way; it fired an incredible barrage of shots which couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.  At one point, I had to fire 36 bullets to bring down a suicide skull.  :P  (4.7 second reload time too)

Nothing much else to say that hasn't been said before.  Here's the mortem:  :)

[26/26/26/26/18/9]

yaflhdztioxo

• Programmer
  • Local Inquisitor
  • Captain
  • Lost Sole
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2014, 23:31 »

Tor, if you'd actually hang around on IRC and play WolfRL you could probably cajole me into finishing and releasing it.
Just a thought.

Errant

• Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2014, 11:03 »

I had the same problem on round 4 as Tormuse. First come access errors if you level up (and you don't actually level when that happens) or if you press 'e' to look at the overview, and then when round 5 starts, there's an error when the elevator doors try to open, and fail, leaving me locked in. Ctrl-q then causes a fatal exception.

Spoiler: Error message (click to show/hide)

It's probably caused by the huge number of dropped rockets in such a small arena, I guess? Should I just collect them all so they stack?

Edit: nope, still happens every time on round 4, even when there's plenty of room. Ho hum. I also noticed the critter counter went to -1 when everything was dead.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 23:55 by Errant »

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2015, 23:52 »

For no particular reason, I felt like going through this module again last night, and didn't realize until after I finished the game that I think I'm playing the previous version?  (And have been all along?)  :S  I mean it says version 0.8.0 which has always been incorrect, but looking again at the file I downloaded in 2013, I think I've been playing the earliest version all along!  :o  (Oops!)  :|  Well, here's the mortem anyway:

I got Tourist Angelic, this time with a Malicious Blades build.  I didn't expect to get Angelic because of a bunch of deaths in quick succession on level 1 while I was getting myself established, but I guess I didn't suffer as many deaths as I thought.  :)  It was tricky starting off with HR instead of going for extra damage; you always want to use your strengths to their fullest and it's hard to take advantage of speed when there are hordes of monsters coming at you from every direction, but I managed to do enough clever dancing around to minimize the loss of my clones.  :)  What helped was that at the end of one of the rounds, all enemies were dead except a single Sand Demon and I just led him on a merry chase around the map a few times, allowing large medpacks and ammo to respawn until I was well established enough to last me 'til the end of the game.  :)

I still suffered one more loss in level 2, right before I got my master trait because I got cornered by Belphegors when I went for the Prosperity Rune, but once I had MMB, I was able to charge right into the crowd and cut them up faster than they could respond and the rest of the game was fairly easy and I found myself playing around with getting a variety of melee weapons just for fun.  :)

I'll have to download the new version...  (well, two years old, but newest anyway)  :P  ...and try it again.  Maybe this time, with a Vampyre build, since it's the only melee build I haven't tried this mod with.  :)

EDIT:  P.S.  I decided it's about time I give myself an Avatar.  :)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 00:18 by Tormuse »
[26/26/26/26/18/9]

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2015, 18:36 »

Okay, I played a game of the new version with Vampyre build and got Tourist Platinum!  :)

I didn't fare nearly as well as my previous game with the MMB build.  :|  I had a smattering of deaths in each level except levels 3 and 4.  (Nice additions to level 3, by the way)  The deaths in the first two levels happened because I was still getting myself established, (things got easier when I got Vampyre) and on level 5, I had a surprisingly hard time with the Blood enemies.  (Acolytes, Zealots, etc.)  I think that was due to the fact that Vampyre blocks HR and that's a part where you need speed, because they approach from all directions.  I lost my Phaseshift armour there because after I died once, I think one of them put it on and then got gibbed, so it got destroyed.  Also, the abundant explosions from their dynamite-throwing guys blew up all the Chainsaws before I could get Whizkid 2, so I couldn't make a Ripper.  :(  I had to do the whole thing with the Chainsword instead.  *Sigh*  They blew up a lot of my stuff, actually, so I was short on supplies when I went up against the Arch-Lich.  (I wasn't even able to use my Whizkid skill for anything; that was a waste of two levels!)  :|

I died once while fighting the Arch-Lich, but that was mostly because I went in there with only two small medpacks.  If I had had better supplies, I would have easily done it without dying, because it only took a few hits each time with my Chainsword to make him retreat into his invulnerable state and he hardly had a chance to fight back.  Funny thing:  I got him just barely in time at the end; I was down to 3% health and, thanks to Vampyre, killing him made my health instantly shoot up to 200%!  :D

EDIT:  Oh yeah, and that Dodgemaster level 74 thing...  I have a feeling it's because toward the end, I picked up the shifting powerup and it gave me "haste" ability and I already was using a Haste rune.  Bug or feature?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 18:46 by Tormuse »
[26/26/26/26/18/9]

flamewolf393

• Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2017, 11:59 »

Sorry for the super-necro, but Im hoping someone is still paying attention.

I tried this mod for the first time today, and really like it. But Ive hit (what i assume based on reading the thread) a major bug. It sounds like there are supposed to be mulitple levels, but I auto-die after the wave of diabolists on the first level.

Also, are we supposed to have infinite lives? Cause the monsters are insanely difficult, but theres no real point to the difficultly when we dont run out of lives.

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2017, 15:40 »

Sorry for the super-necro, but Im hoping someone is still paying attention.

I am!  Funny thing; I was just thinking of playing this again.  :)

I tried this mod for the first time today, and really like it. But Ive hit (what i assume based on reading the thread) a major bug. It sounds like there are supposed to be mulitple levels, but I auto-die after the wave of diabolists on the first level.

Yeah, it sounds like you found the most irritating feature of this mod.  :P  Every time you complete a level, you get a message that says "Elevator doors are closing" and there's a countdown that goes 5 4 3 2 1.  You have a limited time to get back inside the elevator to continue, otherwise, it's game over.  It's annoying because it's *really* easy to miss the message about the doors and I've lost the game a number of times because of that.  I think other people have worked around that by adding a line to the bottom of the Config.lua file to change the colour of the text of that message to make it more eye-catching.

Also, are we supposed to have infinite lives? Cause the monsters are insanely difficult, but theres no real point to the difficultly when we dont run out of lives.

Yes, it's designed so that basically anyone can complete it.  The *real* challenge is doing it without dying.  :)  See if you can get Tourist Angelic!  :D
[26/26/26/26/18/9]
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All