Chaosforge Forum

• March 19, 2024, 00:05
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: The Elevator of Dimensions (0.9.2)  (Read 42077 times)

yaflhdztioxo

• Programmer
  • Local Inquisitor
  • Captain
  • Lost Sole
    • View Profile
The Elevator of Dimensions (0.9.2)
« on: April 14, 2013, 22:30 »

...is too big for the forums so I put it on filebin for now.  It is a CONSOLE ONLY mod, it is long so take breaks between levels, and if you get overwhelmed it stops being fun.  MAd is the easiest build in my experience.  Lastly, assemblies and rewards are largely indestructible so craft away.

http://filebin.ca/ekqAn8zlbS9/elevator.module0.9.2.zip

The Elevator of Dimensions will take you on a journey through space and time.  It is an invasion style map that uses SkulltagRL as a base.  That means most things are scripted--levels aren't generated randomly, nor are most items and enemies.

Levels:
* RAID the Pharaoh's tomb!
* TORCH the baron enclave!
* RANSACK the German castle!
* ZAP the computer corridor!
* SHOWER the outer limits!

Difficulty levels:
Since monsters and items aren't spawned randomly XP is given a flat modifier based on difficulty.  Higher difficulty slows level gain and ups enemy accuracy (that last part is as it normally is).  Ideally the difficulty curve should follow this spread:
* ITYTD: A player familiar with the waves can get through without casualty and without relying on overpowered builds or cheap tactics.  Ammo shortages will be the bigger threat.
* HNTR:  A player can expect to suffer in the tricky spots or they can corner shoot everywhere.  A good player with a good build and careful tactics might still clear this without casualties.
* HMP:   Player casualties will start to mount up but a good build will prevent getting stuck in a loop of carnage and death.
* UV:    Even using every dirty trick in the book player casualties will be all too common.  One shot kills will be a reality and cycles of death and rebirth distressingly common as you try to get a handle on the demon hordes.
* N:     You're dead, you just don't know it yet.

Monsters:
* In addition to enemies found and derived from Doom you can expect to see enemies from Blood, Duke 3D, and a host of other odd games I don't recognize.

Issues:
* The player name is treated as part of the HUD now with an enemy count as well as an active powerup/rune display.  In previous revisions the level name served thie purpose; 0996 invalidates that.  Consequently looking at yourself displays the adapted HUD text instead and the powerup color coding is gone.  Lesser of three evils...
* Color flashes don't work quite right.  This has been mitigated for now but once they are fixed they'll need to be returned to their proper state of being.
* Better rips of the music would be nice as to get them to loop correctly I had to re-encode them and they were already lossily compressed.
* No doubt there are some balancing tweaks that could be implemented.  I was very careful with the first level and moderately careful with the second.  After that it is difficult to get a good measure since builds can diverge very heavily.
* You know how the mastermind's shots, when being spread across an area, all come at once?  I would really like a hack to circumvent that.

Future:
* Add being ascii art
* When possible, add sprites
* When possible, add the other HUD stuff that's kludged in
* Fix other issues and balancing concerns

Credits:
* GH for AI
* Other guys on IRC who probably helped in some way
* The testers, mostly
* The guys who originally make the EoD for Skulltag for the obvious inspiration, and by proxy, everyone they stole content from

Dedications:
* For all coffee makers
* For all disco lovers
* For all the paranoids
* For all the psychopaths

Changelog:

v0.9.2
------
Scaled experience gains down.  Seems there's no way to make a boss scary to a sufficiently prepared doomguy.  So now you can't be that prepared.
Since there are no spawn rate differences UV and N! difficulties now give enemies damage bonuses while ITYTD and HNTR give damage penalties.
Badge requirements have changed to be harder since it took all of three runs for TWO people to get angelic.
Prosperity nerfed, is no longer as good as MEDPLUS
Level 3 should be faster paced and less dull now.
Fixed boss level river
AI and HP tweaks to keep the boss alive long enough to do cool things before Tormuse kills it.

v0.9.1
------
Sound binding fixes, also monster that should drop rockets was not dropping rockets
Beefed up clones to make them more of a threat and make them appear more often

v0.9.0
------
First public release for DoomRL 097.  1.0 will be whatever version makes it to the mod server; KK has stated that won't happen without G support.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 17:15 by yaflhdztioxo »

darksergio

• Corporal
    • View Profile
Re: The Elevator of Dimensions (0.9.0)
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 11:13 »

jnice wad it really chat the fell of hopeless fight on the original level since I always get one shotted on boss wave on this level on skulltag or zandronum I think you balance a little more the first level since is I am not miskaten the brutes only show up on the desert worm map at least on invasion mode also I noticed a bug on the name during the computer corridor they dont show the proper name it just show random character on the name. I dont know is you can but maybe it could be a good idea to remplace the ammo drops on the elevartor to ammo box and shell box also changing the medpack to large help a little when you have 7 diabolist knocking on the elevator doors

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 00:48 »

Here's my first attempt at this mod.  (At Nightmare! of course)  :D

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This is a pretty cool mod!  I like the music and the selection of enemies was pretty interesting.  I'll have to give it another try soon.  :)

Except for one death earlyish on, I managed to avoid any casualties for quite a while...  up until I encountered the first Avatar, which one-shotted me and then shortly after that, I got cornered in the elevator by a bunch of Diabolists and suffered a bunch of casualties in quick succession.  Once I killed them, I got a message that said something like "The elevator doors are closing" which I assumed meant that I was supposed to *get out* of the elevator, (I had been outside the elevator for most of the game up until that point, so I assumed that the game was about to penalize me for spending too long in there) but then I abruptly died and got the message that I was "left behind," so I guess I was supposed to stay inside after all?  :S  I wish I'd known that; I might have been able to win this one.  :(

If I can make a suggestion, I think it would be nice if the mortem tells you how many casualties you've suffered.  It would be nice to have that benchmark for how well I did.  :)
Apostle Chaos Lt. General (0.9.9.7)
[26/26/26/26/18/9]
Check out my Youtube channel for videos of me playing DRL!  :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXOijubEijdnrOja0kxXTKQ/videos

shark20061

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 10:09 »

If I can make a suggestion, I think it would be nice if the mortem tells you how many casualties you've suffered.  It would be nice to have that benchmark for how well I did.  :)

It does if you complete it:

--------------------------------------------------------------
 DoomRL (0.9.9.7) roguelike post-mortem character dump
 Module : Elevator of Dimensions (0.8.0)
--------------------------------------------------------------

Shark, level 16 Marine
 Toured the world with 71 clones in the Elevator of Dimensions.
 He survived 100580 turns and scored 82285 points.
 He played for 4 hours, 59 minutes and 58 seconds.
 He was too young to die!

He killed 1487 out of 1487 hellspawn. (100%)
 This ass-kicking marine killed all of them!

-- Awards ----------------------------------------------------

Tourist (Bronze)

(snip)
Hell Knight Warrant Officer (0.9.9.4)  [26!/8/3/1/0]

Mancubus 2nd Lieutenant (0.9.9.6)  [22/12/3/0/0]
M:16 S:43 (126) A:17

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
Re: The Elevator of Dimensions (0.9.1)
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2013, 01:47 »

Okay, here's a more successful Nightmare! attempt.  This time I got Tourist Platinum.  :)

Spoiler: Mortem (click to show/hide)

By the time I got to the fifth level, I only had one casualty, (on level 1) and I was well on my way to getting the Angelic Badge.  Then, I had a very abrupt death which I presume was because I stepped into the "void."  I was just walking along with no enemies in sight with decent hitpoints and spontaneously died, and that's the only explanation I can think of.  Just another death that would have been very avoidable if I'd played this before, I guess.  :|  Then I got killed nine more times by the Overlord and Battlelord (the Duke Nukem 3D bosses)  I just couldn't run fast enough to get away from them and into a better defensive position.  (I probably should have invested in Hellrunner)  And I lost one more to the group of Avatars that came afterward.

I played with a masterless build this time because I wasn't sure what to expect.  Next time, hmm...  Maybe I'll try a melee build?  I haven't decided yet.  :)
[26/26/26/26/18/9]

yaflhdztioxo

• Programmer
  • Local Inquisitor
  • Captain
  • Lost Sole
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2013, 05:29 »

...how!?

Rajhin

• Sergeant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2013, 06:02 »

Tried to play this. Well... I guess I became too adjusted on graphic version. Especially that shoot-on-click feature. Maybe you will make at least some placeholders for absent sprites? Colored letters will be okay.
20/26 4/17
33/50

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2013, 06:56 »

I've been playing the console version all along, so no adjustment for me!  :D

...how!?

Lots of corner/radar-shooting with the Tactical Shotgun and a lot of patience.  :P  Med packs and shells spawned and respawned often enough that I was rarely in short supply, but I kind of found myself wishing I had gone with an Army of the Dead build for how long it was taking to kill everything at range with the shotgun, especially on level 2.  (Ooh!  Maybe I'll try that next!)  :D

At Castle Wolfenstein, I switched to using the Gatling Gun more, since bullets were a lot more plentiful.  It got a bit tedious with the scores of tiny enemies after all the big enemies I had just faced in previous levels, but was still marked by amusing moments when I would shoot a guard and have him explode into a big pile of med packs he had been picking up.  :D  That level would be fun with a Gunrunner build, just tearing around, letting the shotgun do all the work.  (Well, as long as the shells would last anyway)

After that, I used the Micro Launcher and Plasma Rifle in the Computer Corridor a lot, since rockets and cells were a lot more plentiful, and didn't really have any trouble until the Outer Limits level, since it had very little cover and (apparently) I had to watch where I walked!  (though, I was thankful that knockback seemed to be turned off for that level)  The Cyberdemons, in particular, gave me a lot of trouble and I was thankful for the fact that Shottyman works on the Missile Launcher now.  As I mentioned earlier, the Overlord and Battlelord were a pain in the ass, as they kept heading toward me and avoiding corner-shooting positions and I couldn't get to my discarded equipment in order to better deal with them.  (Die, you son of a bitch!)  ;)

I dealt with the Arch-Lich by corner-shooting as much as I could with the Hyperblaster and hitting it with my Plasmatic Super Shotgun if it got too close and I think the Anti-Gravity Boots were helpful in avoiding the explosions when he went into his invulnerable mode.  He was tough, but I wore him down eventually.

EDIT:  BTW, why does my mortem say version 0.8.0, when the file I downloaded says 0.9.0 and the thread title says 0.9.1?  Am I playing the wrong version or is there a typo somewhere?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 06:59 by Tormuse »
[26/26/26/26/18/9]

shark20061

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2013, 12:02 »

He was too young to die!
 He killed 1487 out of 1487 hellspawn. (100%)
He opposed the Nightmare!
 He killed 1472 out of 1472 hellspawn. (100%)
How did Tormuse end up killing *less* enemies on Nightmare than I did on ITYTD????

EDIT:  BTW, why does my mortem say version 0.8.0, when the file I downloaded says 0.9.0 and the thread title says 0.9.1?  Am I playing the wrong version or is there a typo somewhere?

Typo.
Hell Knight Warrant Officer (0.9.9.4)  [26!/8/3/1/0]

Mancubus 2nd Lieutenant (0.9.9.6)  [22/12/3/0/0]
M:16 S:43 (126) A:17

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2013, 14:08 »

Typo.

Ah, but which one is the typo?  :P

How did Tormuse end up killing *less* enemies on Nightmare than I did on ITYTD????

Good question; I was under the impression that there are the same number of enemies at each difficulty level.  Is the rest of the mortem for that game posted somewhere?  My first guess is that you took longer to kill the Arch-Lich than I did and he summoned more minions.  In my game, he only had time to summon two Skeletal Dragons.
[26/26/26/26/18/9]

yaflhdztioxo

• Programmer
  • Local Inquisitor
  • Captain
  • Lost Sole
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2013, 17:25 »

...wishing I had gone with an Army of the Dead build...
MAd is the easiest by far, though the lack of hellrunner does cause some problems against the boss enemies.

Castle Wolfenstein... got a bit tedious...
Any suggestions?  It's meant to be a breather level but if it's boring I can try sprucing it up.

I was thankful that knockback seemed to be turned off for that level
Yeah, even for me that would have been too evil.  If you think the battlelord and overlord are a problem I can tweak them; I did not have too many problems with them on a MAd build, but that was non-N!.

I dealt with the Arch-Lich...  He was tough, but I wore him down eventually.
By being careful, out of sight, and not dying you missed some of my favorite boss features :(.  Making the last boss tough but fun is a critical goal for me.

BTW, why does my mortem say version 0.8.0, when the file I downloaded says 0.9.0 and the thread title says 0.9.1
080 is a typo; should have been 090.  I did push a minor update recently as 091 but it didn't have anything in it that would have made a huge difference for your game.

The final boss is the only enemy who can spawn more enemies.  Shark must have run into a lot more Added Fun Stuff than Tormuse.

appuru

• Elder
  • Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2013, 12:46 »

Kudos for this mod, it's really fun. I tried Nightmare right off the bat since I was used to the punishment from standard DoomRL anyway, and after a few runs it felt like MBm -> Whizkid -> Whatever was the way to go. It worked out, the hardest part was the beginning, but once you get rid of the big wave of anubis ministers, you can run laps around the map picking up health upgrades while you berserk on everything. The nightmare strategy of triggering berserk with arch-viles doesn't work with diabolists, but at the very least brutes fulfill that role nicely, with their suicide attacks actually making you live longer. I'm fairly certain I clocked 7 deaths at the very first level, then at the arch-lich I was wandering around and fell into the void like an idiot: I got flashbacks to that N! Ao100 run where I nuked myself on level 100, but at least I was still within the Angelic badge range.

I realized I didn't pick my stuff back up after falling into the void, but noteworthy items were: APT duelist armor, anti-grav plasteel boots, P3T2 Railgun, B3T2 Super Shotgun, A Ripper. The Arch-Lich is a cakewalk with a melee build it seems, though the Arch-Lich's fire attack was very creative. I wish more bosses had those kind of "super attacks", and this seems like a great concept to extend to DoomRL, too ;)

I mirror other people's sentiments on the Wolfenstein level: it's a good breather level but it's also a bit tedious. Maybe reduce the amount of enemies and add an extra room where you fight a Wolfenstein boss? You start to get rare mods around this time, and a single, very strong enemy is still probably easier than the group of diabolists you have to deal with in the first level.

I can't see myself using MAd in Nightmare, it felt like Hellrunner was essential, specially since you can't get something like anti-grav boots early on (it seems like a nano pack is only guaranteed in the fourth level?), the lack of run speed really messes with you if you're caught off position. Then again, it might just have to do with the playstyle.

Also, the final boss can spawn more enemies? 4xBru + Ripper + Berserk barely let him get some melee attacks in + his "super attacks". I'm almost curious to see what he can do, but I wasn't about to risk the Angelic badge! :p

In my mortem, you'll see that some of the monster names are garbled. They all came from level 3 IIRC, the one where you just go in circles.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

yaflhdztioxo

• Programmer
  • Local Inquisitor
  • Captain
  • Lost Sole
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2013, 13:29 »

Things learned:
* Berserker build isn't suicide like I thought it would be
* Nobody remembers level 2; nobody's commented on it in any way and apparently apparu forgot about it completely :)
* Level 3 is too tedious.  Do you think elite beings (like the elite formers you run into on Ao100) would help?
* Nobody plays Skulltag Invasion, so nobody gets the 'gibberish' names on Level 4
* I may be too generous with the mod packs (perhaps that's something I can scale by difficulty)
* Perhaps the boss should actually REMAIN invincible for a while after his fire attacks so that he can use his specials... actually that might be too tedious and annoying.
* Nightmare is too easy.

If you want to see what the final boss can do, well, the code IS editable.  Skipping waves is pretty easy, and you can then manipulate your doomguy on spawn to be the build you want.

appuru

• Elder
  • Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2013, 14:13 »

Things learned:
* Nobody remembers level 2; nobody's commented on it in any way and apparently apparu forgot about it completely :)
* Level 3 is too tedious.  Do you think elite beings (like the elite formers you run into on Ao100) would help?
* Nobody plays Skulltag Invasion, so nobody gets the 'gibberish' names on Level 4
* I may be too generous with the mod packs (perhaps that's something I can scale by difficulty)
* Perhaps the boss should actually REMAIN invincible for a while after his fire attacks so that he can use his specials... actually that might be too tedious and annoying.
* Nightmare is too easy.

If you want to see what the final boss can do, well, the code IS editable.  Skipping waves is pretty easy, and you can then manipulate your doomguy on spawn to be the build you want.

In order:
* Berserker build is more than viable, and I agree N! is too easy.
* Don't take it as something bad, I enjoyed the level. :P Taking down bruiser demons was very satisfying, but one thing to note is berserker build shits on this level, but probably the biggest reason is the rune that lets your health max out at 250%, hellrunner + letting medpacks overheal to this amount basically lets me activate berserk without ever dying. I forgot the name of the rune, but that rune might be a tad overpowered.
* Cutting down on the enemies and putting stronger ones near the end would be cool. Any wolfenstein boss or elite beings would be awesome.
* I thought it was a bug, lol
* The amount of mod packs are very generous, but I feel it should just be rebalanced instead: slightly more instances of rare mods, significantly less common mods. Currently, for a melee build I only *really* need mods for tactical/anti-grav boots, and whatever I can find for a melee weapon. This is partly thanks to the rune that lets me overheal to 250%. I feel more rare mods could help accommodate other builds without necessarily overpowering the rest of the upgrade paths.
* You could add more "super attack" instances where he's invincible while performing his other actions. I would scale the strength of his specials based on his remaining health, so if you had 4 specials (ex. 75%, 50%, 30%, 10%) his last two would be stronger: additional summons, or explosions occur twice as fast. You're supposed to be very strong by this point, after all :3
* Maybe the Angelic badge could be made harder? ;3 Nightmare could be a *little* bit harder on the later levels, but level 1 is pretty brutal as is, and in my case comprised all my deaths aside from jumping into the void at the end.

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2013, 20:47 »

If you think the battlelord and overlord are a problem I can tweak them; I did not have too many problems with them on a MAd build, but that was non-N!.

I think I would have fared a lot better if I had had HR/Dodgemaster.  As it was, I was just ill-equipped to deal with them, especially the part when I was fighting both of them at the same time!  :o  That doesn't mean you have to change them; I think I just need to be ready for them next time.

Things learned:

Not sure yet, but I'll give it a good try when I can.  :)  (I have exams this coming week, so I really shouldn't be playing this game right now)  :P

Oh, I remember it!  I was just in a bit of a rush and, as mentioned above, I can't spend too much time on stuff like this lately.  :)  Believe me; there's tons of stuff I'd like to say, but I figured I should pick and choose the most important comments to make.  Anyway, I thought the many variations of Barons/Knights were pretty cool.  I mostly tried to avoid giving them a chance to fire, so I can't speak of their abilities except for that one guy who got off a shot and filled the room with explosions!  Yikes!  :o  And as Appuru said, that Prosperity Rune is way overpowered, partly due to the duration, I think.  It lasted me for a couple of levels with plenty of time to spare!

I recognize that it's supposed to be a breather and that's fine; it's just a bit too long of a breather with too little variety of enemies, (plus the fact that they give you almost no experience) but then there isn't a whole lot of variety within the original Wolfenstein enemies anyway.  (Mostly different-clothinged guys with similar guns)  I think Elite Formers would be a bit out of place in a Wolfenstein-themed level, but maybe you could put in Grosse?  (The boss of the first episode; you could call them "Grosse clones" so you can have more of them)  :D  Maybe you could put in the Hitler clones that shoot fireballs from episode 3!  (As shown in this video)  Heck, maybe you could even put in Hitler himself as a final boss!  :P  (Also shown in that video; you would, of course, have to make him a two-stage boss)  ;)  Come to think of it, you could probably throw the Angel of Death in there, considering it was lifted from the Spear of Destiny expansion to Wolfenstein in the first place.  :)  (Huh!  Until watching that video, I didn't realize what the AoD was saying...  "Do your worst, human!" and "You may wield the Spear;" for some reason, back when I played the game, ages ago, I assumed he was speaking another language)

Holy crap!  "sdw!" is "imps" upside-down!  I just got that!  Mind blown!  :o

Very clever!  :D

I find that hard to say...  there were plenty of mod packs that I discarded as I went along, but I find that's true of most games I play.  I guess I'm just not really big on mod packs.  :)

Without knowing what his special attacks are, I'm not sure how to comment on this.

* Nightmare is too easy.

Yes, especially considering the kind of game this is, where death is a minor, temporary inconvenience, rather than the end of the game.  Nightmare! can afford to be a lot less forgiving.  (I sure hope I don't regret saying that!)  :P  Incidentally, I'd just like to say that as a game mechanic, it works very well and makes quite a fun game.  :)
[26/26/26/26/18/9]
Pages: [1] 2 3  All