Chaosforge Forum

• April 26, 2024, 20:09
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Entrenchment - ammo problem  (Read 2694 times)

zenfur

• Corporal
  • Huh?
    • View Profile
Entrenchment - ammo problem
« on: April 24, 2013, 10:22 »

Hey guys, don't you think that this trait is too ammo hungry to be sufficient without nanomachic chainfire weapon? I've just had UV run and I was completely wrecked because of lack of ammo (I collected whatever I could, only 2 med packs in backpack).
[0.9.9.7G][20/15/10/5/1/0]
19 different medals
Hell Baron

SageAcrin

• Sergeant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Entrenchment - ammo problem
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 11:50 »

Entrenchment is pretty ammo hungry, yes.

Thinking on it, it's the only rapid oriented trait that requires you to constantly be using rapid fire weapons to utilize, yet doesn't give any mitigation for the cost. That's pretty rough in its own right.
Arch-Vile Brigadier General, 25|18|15|7|1|1 (0.9.9.7)
(10k enemies/65~ Cyberdemons from Cyberdemon, 1 Diamond from Mjr. General)

Equality

• Second Lieutenant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 12:42 »

but why you constantly keep burst rate? Cancel chainfire and start again. You do not lose chainfiring status for Entrechment but do a short initial volley. For 'almost dead' or weak enemies - not ammo-hungry at all
Once advanced DoomRL player
Find mysterious sword Dragonslayer
Say "Best thing ever found!" and start jumping around...
But he can't get the sword from the ground

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Twisted passages carry the smell of dapperness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2013, 17:02 »

Indeed, this approach in fact saves ammo. It's a good practice to kill weak enemies with the initial chainfire regardless of build.
Arch-Vile Mjr General [24/19/18/8/2] (0.9.9.7)

Quote from: thelaptop
Dude... we need to change your forum handle from "Klear" to "Klear Nukem".

zenfur

• Corporal
  • Huh?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 10:57 »

Still I don't find it enough... Do you have more tips?
[0.9.9.7G][20/15/10/5/1/0]
19 different medals
Hell Baron

Evilpotatoe

• Backer
  • Major
  • Lost Soul corpse
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2013, 12:20 »

If bullets + cells are not enough, I'll advise you to keep a shotgun. They won't chainfire much, of course, but shells are an extremly efficient ammunition.

Also, I avoid TH trait, which looks very bad to me : not enough DPS increase, and wastes too much ammo. I prefer SoB4 and Fin3. EE is very important too to avoid shhoting more at the walls than at your enemies.

And this is unrelated to your question, but I think MEn sucks :)
Badges - [26/26/26/22/9/2] - 42/43

Sambojin

• First Lieutenant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2013, 18:13 »

I'd have to agree with the above advice. Shotguns are very efficient against small-fry all the way through the game. It also depends on what weapon you are using as your main. Plasma rifles are very ammo hungry and not very accurate (depending on traits) but dish out a lot of hurt. Assault rifles and hyperblasters (yeah, I've yet to progress to 0.9.9.7 yet) are relatively efficient but no good to you without WK. Even chainguns will carry a lot more killyness per ammo slot with the right traits (EE, SOB/TH) and mods, which you'll more than likely have. Always have one on switch, simply because it's so easy to find ammo for them. A couple of slots gives you 200-280 shots of buffer zone and pleb killing which makes things heaps easier on you.

You've got plenty of options really. A shotgun or chaingun for the smaller enemies. Then whip out your decked out plasma for the big guys.

If you still have problems, then for god's sake, do the Wall. That backpack will make any build incredibly ammo efficient, and bulking the ML makes for a good all-round weapon. You'll be switching between that and a chaingun as your secondary a lot, but it works.

Yes, MEn doesn't really offer a lot, but it's not too bad with the right tactics.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 18:15 by Sambojin »
Pages: [1]