Chaosforge Forum

• April 26, 2024, 20:46
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Editing keybindings destroys the game  (Read 2393 times)

Crawldragon

• Private
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
Editing keybindings destroys the game
« on: May 01, 2013, 11:06 »

I installed version 0.9.9.7 recently and started personalizing it (custom colors, default configuration, &c) and I went to add a custom keyboard control (setting the equipment screen to `w' for ``wield'' and changing the ``TAB = COMMAND_TACTIC'' so that it works by adding square brackets) and now when I try to run the game it says that it can't access keyboard.lua. If I try changing it back, it still complains that it can't access the file. I can't imagine why this is happening; any ideas?

I'm running the game on Windows 7, DoomRL version 0.9.9.7 - console or graphical, doesn't matter, both display the message.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 11:10 by Crawldragon »

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
Re: Editing keybindings destroys the game
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 12:53 »

There is never a keyboard.lua.

Check to see if you are including the right file in config.lua.  It should refer to keybindings.lua.

Post in a pair of code tags the actual contents of the file you altered.  There is also a slim chance that you have altered the permissions of the file some how such that the game cannot read it.
I computed, therefore I was.

Evilpotatoe

• Backer
  • Major
  • Lost Soul corpse
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 12:57 »

Check for permissions problems (Win8 ? Win7 and C: ? I'm still under XP, but I know those are kinda weird sometimes)

Also, I assume "changing back' the file = reverting to a backup of initial working file ?
Else, just re-extract the game...
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 14:18 by Evilpotatoe »
Badges - [26/26/26/22/9/2] - 42/43

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 13:05 »

Yes permissions problem.  If another program has the file open, it might have taken the file lock, causing DoomRL to not have access to the file.

Do a plain extract of the original zip file somewhere and test it, before incrementally adding your changes to keybindings.lua.
I computed, therefore I was.
Pages: [1]