Chaosforge Forum

• April 27, 2024, 15:21
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Revamp of Rank Requirements, etc.  (Read 6046 times)

Styro

• Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Revamp of Rank Requirements, etc.
« on: January 17, 2007, 08:59 »

I know that High Score data will not be compatible with the new version. I don't know if Player data will be compatible or not, but now may be a good time to revisit the declared Challenge game difficulties and to revamp how the ranks are calculated.

1. Adjust the difficulties of the challenges. AoB should probably be listed as easier than AoMr, for example.

2. I would like to see ALL the challenges be involved in some kind of rank requirement. As it is, Angel of Darkness probably doesn't get played much because it is not needed for advancement.

3. Re-order the requirements. I would sometimes get an advancement and then see that I had already met most of the requirements for the next advancement. Perhaps they could be adjusted so this would happen less. My reasoning here is that it should be harder to get to the next level and I should be a better player. If some of the requirements for a lower level were harder for me than a higher level requirement that doesn't make sense. Of course different player's skills may make this one hard to balance.

4. Add some new challenges. Angel of Shottyman would be fun and pretty difficult (I think). Also Angel of Blades (dual-wield knives would be needed probably). I know others have mentioned some different ideas that sound fun to try.

5. Allow AoMr to equip any pistol. This would be handy if I found another advanced pistol so I could improve it. It has never happened in over 50 AoMr games, but I am hopeful that they will be more common in the new version. :) I did find a Fast Reload Pistol once and that made me happy although I don't know if it makes a difference on the secondary weapon.

6. Add experience ranks beyond cacodemon. This may already be planned, but I figured that I might as well mention it.

Anyway, these are some random thoughts. I am interested in what other people think.
Arch-Vile Mjr General
[19/19/12/7/3]

Blade

• Tester
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
    • Upyachka
Re: Revamp of Rank Requirements, etc.
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2007, 10:54 »

1. Adjust the difficulties of the challenges. AoB should probably be listed as easier than AoMr, for example.

Agree.

2. I would like to see ALL the challenges be involved in some kind of rank requirement. As it is, Angel of Darkness probably doesn't get played much because it is not needed for advancement.

On the one hand i'm agree, because i never played AoD, but ... well, i'm agree.

3. Re-order the requirements. I would sometimes get an advancement and then see that I had already met most of the requirements for the next advancement. Perhaps they could be adjusted so this would happen less. My reasoning here is that it should be harder to get to the next level and I should be a better player. If some of the requirements for a lower level were harder for me than a higher level requirement that doesn't make sense. Of course different player's skills may make this one hard to balance.

If this will be wisely planned, then i have nothing against it. But addition - make some kind of difficulty requirement for challenges(for example, some medium rand can ask you to just win AoB, but some high rank can ask you to win it on UV(if you already done it before on UV, this requirement must count as already completed)). But, Kornel, don't make impossible requirements, so no AoMs on Nightmare! with 100% kills.

4. Add some new challenges. Angel of Shottyman would be fun and pretty difficult (I think). Also Angel of Blades (dual-wield knives would be needed probably). I know others have mentioned some different ideas that sound fun to try.

Have nothing against it. And i like Styro's idea written in another post that you should be able to choose multiple challenges.

5. Allow AoMr to equip any pistol. This would be handy if I found another advanced pistol so I could improve it. It has never happened in over 50 AoMr games, but I am hopeful that they will be more common in the new version. :) I did find a Fast Reload Pistol once and that made me happy although I don't know if it makes a difference on the secondary weapon.

I know nothing about weapon mods, but have nothing against it.

6. Add experience ranks beyond cacodemon. This may already be planned, but I figured that I might as well mention it.

Kornel already have some suggestions.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2007, 02:07 by Blade »
Low orbit ion cannon damaged my brain!!1
Now i'm an idiot!1 Kill me, somebody!!11

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2007, 01:47 »

Yes a revist on the rank system will be needed, so I'll gladly hear all suggestions :)
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Styro

• Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2007, 15:13 »

I suggest starting AoB with a knife and listing it as Medium difficulty. The hardest part of that challenge is just getting to the chainsaw, which is mostly luck - whether or not you find the stairs quickly and do you find health powerups. The luck part is annoying. It is no fun playing a dozen games and dying on the first two levels when it becomes so much more interesting later on. Starting with a knife will eliminate most of the early luck factor and make it more of a skill challenge.

Then you could change the Sergeant requirement from "Get to level 5 in Angel of Berserk" to "Get to level 10 in Angel of Berserk" since it will be more equivelant with AoMr.

I think you should then change the Captain requirement:
Captain "Get to level 15 in Angel of Berserk" -> "Complete the Angel of Darkness challenge"

If you can have more than three requirements per level, I suggest adding "Complete the Angel of Berserk challenge" to the Major rank requirements. It will pair nicely with AoMr.

Arch-Vile Mjr General
[19/19/12/7/3]

BDR

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2007, 15:48 »

I think that starting equipment change for AoB is a great idea.  W/o exploiting AI getting up close to the sergeant is tough to live through and that's just the first level; on the next you can end up facing imps who can shoot you down AND put up a hell of a fight in melee even if you survive getting close.  If you haven't got a knife or armor, they will tear you apart if you try to fight them.  Also, getting 100% of the kills in AoB is practically impossible right now; this could work nicely to remedy that.

TFoN

• Colonel
  • Gleefully antisocial!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2007, 06:51 »

The way I see it, the 1 avgdmg increase is good, but possibly not enough to make the first few levels skill-dependent. How about having a unique weapon given on AoB - I understand there were axes once, how about putting one back in? For, say, 2d5? Thats an avgdmg of 6, which means brute doesn't have to be the first skill taken, and you can take HR or EE instead, for outrunning demons or for a safe hit ratio. HR as a first skill will also make UV play sane and a 100%-kill game possible.

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2007, 07:05 »

How about a advanced knife? xD
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

TFoN

• Colonel
  • Gleefully antisocial!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2007, 08:07 »

Doesn't sound hardcore enough! ^^
Besides, if it answers to the norm, that's only a 0.5 avgdmg increase, for a total of 3.5avgdmg. That's good, but Brute's still necessary.

Styro

• Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2007, 08:37 »

I think an Advanced Knife would be great! It would start you with a knife (obviously) which would make the first couple levels easier, and would allow you to mod it later (damage and speed at least). Although, it will probably never compare to the chainsaw, so modding may not ever be worth it.
Arch-Vile Mjr General
[19/19/12/7/3]

Valkeera

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2007, 12:38 »

How about a advanced knife? xD

Serrated knife! *evil grin* :-)
Angel of Death 007

Anticheese

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2007, 13:54 »

But Combat Knives ARE serrated :)

Adral

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2007, 13:55 »

We need chainswords!:P
Paranoia is a very comforting state of mind. If you think they're out to get you, it means you think you matter

Getix

• Corporal
  • Always forgive, never forget.
    • View Profile
    • Getix's Blog
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2007, 04:57 »

We need chainswords!:P

WarDoomHammer 40k? :-D
http://getix.wordpress.com
Personal, Trance & Roguelike blog.

TFoN

• Colonel
  • Gleefully antisocial!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2007, 09:55 »

Lightsabers ahoy, and batleths for all! Super sledghammers and gythkas! Muahaha! :P
Pages: [1]