Chaosforge Forum

• April 27, 2024, 13:53
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: modding??  (Read 4232 times)

renecane

• Private FC
    • View Profile
modding??
« on: January 20, 2007, 03:31 »

i had a idea...about translating the game to finnish but i dont have a idea how so is this even possible?if is how can i do it?

p.s sorry my bad english
My cause is just... my will is strong... and my gun is very, very large.

Adral

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: modding??
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2007, 04:35 »

I think that you'll have to wait a bit, and you'll be able to translate it only if Kornel decides to release the code.

About modding, that is supposed to happen on 1.0.0, but I don't know if it will be possible to translate the game.
Paranoia is a very comforting state of mind. If you think they're out to get you, it means you think you matter

Aki

• Marketing/PR and Wiki Ops
  • Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2007, 12:52 »

we have 'Mods' at the moment *winks*
[0.9.9.7]
Badges: [22/17/15/10/4/0]

Almafeta

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2007, 19:45 »

I've used a hex editor to alter some monster data before (not on the current edition so all my offsets are likely wrong), but this is another thing entirely.  This isn't just a straight word-for-word translation; you'd have to write new code to handle the intricacies of your language.

(Myself, there's at least two languages I'd like to translate DoomRL into, but I can't afford to license Kornel's code yet =3)

TFoN

• Colonel
  • Gleefully antisocial!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2007, 13:11 »

Translation of such a simple-text game can be done, IMO, without having the code, especialy considering English and Finnish are similar enough (left to right).
Kornel could, in theory, give someone trusted (to avoid spoiling, although 0.9.8.5 seems to be all known, so this one's less of a problem) all the text in the game, and then put the translation in code himself.
Single-plural differences can be managed the way they are often managed anyway - as if they were different words. Come to think of it, that's also the way Berserk! manages tiles (i.e. grass and bloody grass are seperate tiles), and I assume the same mentality drags on into the rest of the games and their elements, so this's likely to be the default attitude and thus great for translating.

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2007, 13:27 »

Bringing out the game's texts for translation is one of the goals to be completed before 1.0.0. Wether it's closer to 0.9 or 1.0 is as yet unknown ;). But I for one can tell you that a translation to Polish that wouldn't sound inherently broken is impossible without additional code changes. Yet Polish is a quite complicated language, so the same might not hold true for other languages.
Imagine you have a file with strings like:

"You hit the %s."
"You pick up %c of %s."

Now ask yourself, wether in your language could you do a translation on that alone? In case of Polish the answer is unfortunately "no".
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Adral

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2007, 13:40 »

In Spanish it's possible, but sounds a lot cheesy:P

But I'll try to do a translation if you are interested so more people might enjoy the game!
Paranoia is a very comforting state of mind. If you think they're out to get you, it means you think you matter

TFoN

• Colonel
  • Gleefully antisocial!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2007, 05:45 »

Cheesy in what sense...?

Kornel, please explain further.

I had considered cases such as German's der/die/das and their implications only after I wrote my post, so I recognize it is terribly flawed.
On the other hand, it seems the game would be rather easy to translate into Hebrew (and AFAIK Arabic), if not for it being right-to-left and of such a different alphabet. But, considering my last mistake, I'll make sure to test this further before I say anything else :P

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2007, 07:13 »

When I'll bring out the messages for translation we'll worry about it xD.
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Getix

• Corporal
  • Always forgive, never forget.
    • View Profile
    • Getix's Blog
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2007, 15:59 »

In Spanish it's possible, but sounds a lot cheesy:P

But I'll try to do a translation if you are interested so more people might enjoy the game!

Same for Italian..

"Hai colpito il/la %s"

"Hai raccolto &c per &S"

But IMHO it is possible.. :)

http://getix.wordpress.com
Personal, Trance & Roguelike blog.
Pages: [1]